Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which way to go? Body or lens?

I currently have a *ist DS and a DL, and like quite a few others here am considering a new body.
But I really have doubts, (and am on the verge of a K200D), so would really like to hear from anyone who has made the "6 to 10" step.

Do I really need 10 (or 14.6) megapixels? is it going to take any better photographs than what I have now?

I mean, lets face facts, I have no need for fast AF etc so those issues have no relevance to me, I do not print many of my shots and what I have printed get a lot of comments from those that see them (err...thats good comments by the way). The majority of my more serious photography is Landscape, the rest is really just snapshot/travel stuff.

So am I merely keeping up the Jones's?, or is 10 or 14.6 going to make that much of a difference?

Or should I just add some quality glass to my existing kit: Sig 18-125; Sig EX DG 24 f1.8; Pentax DFA 100mm; Tamron 70-300; Sig 135-400 as some learned commentators are suggesting now.

Your opinion is welcome, but your experience is priceless.

Thanks
Grant

04-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you don't print above 8x10 and are happy with the way the camer works for you...buy glass. Plop any limited prime on there and see what develops (so to speak).
04-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for the glass. You will never regret getting a good lens. The body is always a "playing catch up" game.
04-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Go for the glass. You will never regret getting a good lens. The body is always a "playing catch up" game.

I agree with the "get glass, wait on body" comments. I'm sticking with the KHundredD until it dies. The recent new bodies don't offer anything I really need. I have all the lenses I really need, though I'm leaning toward the 50-135 for the heck of it.

04-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
I currently have a *ist DS and a DL, and like quite a few others here am considering a new body.
But I really have doubts, (and am on the verge of a K200D), so would really like to hear from anyone who has made the "6 to 10" step.

Do I really need 10 (or 14.6) megapixels? is it going to take any better photographs than what I have now?

I mean, lets face facts, I have no need for fast AF etc so those issues have no relevance to me, I do not print many of my shots and what I have printed get a lot of comments from those that see them (err...thats good comments by the way). The majority of my more serious photography is Landscape, the rest is really just snapshot/travel stuff.

So am I merely keeping up the Jones's?, or is 10 or 14.6 going to make that much of a difference?

Or should I just add some quality glass to my existing kit: Sig 18-125; Sig EX DG 24 f1.8; Pentax DFA 100mm; Tamron 70-300; Sig 135-400 as some learned commentators are suggesting now.

Your opinion is welcome, but your experience is priceless.

Thanks
Grant
For landscapes your missing a superwide angle such as the Pentax 14.
That said I am extremely fond of my K10, but I jumped over quite a few models to get to it.--- I had an original *ist D.

while the K200 has good specs if you don't have a camera, I don't see laying down a perfectly good DL/DS for one when you need some quality glass.

Next year there will be a better one. the lens will be just broken in.
I do like the SDM but you don't have anay SDM lenses yet so having a body with the feature is not a priority.

One suggestion: I would look really hard at buying Pentax brand name lenses. To be sure I've bought others, and they probably work just as well, but when you decide to hang them out on Ebay and swap them around, the brand name sells, and the brand x doesn't.
04-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

when in doubt, give in to LBA
04-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Grant, as you describe your uses, and assuming that you aren't planning to start printing large format, I'd concur with the guys above and recommend you spend your money on quality lenses.
04-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

keeping up with the jonses it exspensive and it sounds that from what you do you don't need to worry about a new camera too much. I prefer to stay a dune behind the joneses when upgrading, I got a K10D but then its my first DSLR I won't upgrade for another 1-2 years

04-06-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I would go for a new lens. I will upgrade to a new camera body when the one I have prohibits me from taking the photos I want to take. As long as you stick to Pentax that lens will always be there for you.
04-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Grant

I would also suggest getting a lens than a body. New camera bodies come and go but lenses are forever!

I would get either an ultra-wide lens (Sigma 10-20, Pentax 12-24 or Pentax 14) or upgrade one of your existing lens (maybe the kit lens?).
04-06-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
I currently have a *ist DS and a DL ...(snip)... Do I really need 10 (or 14.6) megapixels? ...(snip)

You don't need a camera unless you have a professional obligation, so you certainly don't need 10 or 14 megapixels. So the real issue is what you want. Of course, only you can ultimately decide that.

In my case, I selected a ten megapixel camera because I feel that's the lowest resolution widely acceptable for commercial (advertising, industrial, etc) photography today. A growing number of clients are demanding that resolution or higher, with the few preferring more often accepting that. At the same time, the declining number who still accept lower resolution will obviously accept higher.

Further, since my images are an investment, I'm also looking towards the future. While resolutions will increase over the next decade, I'm gambling ten megapixels will be around a while because it fits the needs of so many. Six megapixel cameras, on the other hand, are already being fazed out. Given that, how well will six megapixel images fit into a world, ten years from now, dominated by higher resolution images.

Of course, these are my opinions and may be entirely wrong. However, these were the things influencing my choice. In the end, you'll have to make a similar choice, using your own criteria (not mine). But you don't have to make that choice today, so perhaps a new lens will do in the meantime.

stewart
04-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Grant get the Body !!! haha just had to say that. I did jump from the K100D to the K10D - my reasons were not so much the mp, althouhg I will not lie , it does help with allowing more croping options.

The main reason I took the jump was by chance. There was a member here who was selling one with about 70 clicks for about $150.00 more than I paid for the K100D , so I jumped and sold the K100D (which I had only owned for a couple of months) for about a $100.00 loss. Quick math shows the K10D only cost me $250.00 (very rough justification at times when explained to the spouse )

With technology (I am finding camera bodies as bad as computers!) unless there is a feature or function you need / want buy the glass - the body will be there, it will come down in price , and 12 months from now (or so) a new gerentration will be out, further reducing the older generations value.

I am now going to get glass - I do not regret jumping from the K100D to the K10D but to answer you question did it make take better picutres of course not. The k100D was the best camera I had ever owned at the time. I would like a K20D but pretty sure I am going to skip this generation, get some more glass and maybe update the body in a year or so. Then again I have been guilty of totaly ignoring my logical side and diving in ! Good Luck!

Last edited by daacon; 04-06-2008 at 06:59 AM.
04-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you one and all for your input. Much appreciated.

It (the answer) is actually quite obvious when you step back from the orignal question.....thanks for helping me see that.

Now....Da 14mm or 12 -24?
Cheers
Grant
04-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've placed the 12-24 on my LBA list; the DA 14 is pretty nice, but its FL is not flexible enough for my needs at the wide end.
04-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I've placed the 12-24 on my LBA list; the DA 14 is pretty nice, but its FL is not flexible enough for my needs at the wide end.
I found the 12-24 has a good range for subjects such as cars shows, architecture and landscapes.