Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #1

K100d/K10d Tamron 18-200mm DI II

Hi all,

Just got my k100d back from pentax, finally fixed yay. All the photocells are fixed..few.. (the sheet that came with it said new main PCB )

Found an old 50mm Pentax A lens, which I now love.! goes down to f1.7 , can see this being really usable for portraits. link .comments.

Just ordered a Tamron 18-200mm Di II lens as a does-it-all lens from SRS Camera and Image Solutions (eBay), really looking forward to that arriving on tuesday, as I'm going on holiday to cruise the Greek islands for a week, fingers crossed for some great photos. Also got a Kingston 4Gb SDHC Class 6 card for £12.96 delivered at DVD.CO.UK - Buy DVDs, Music CDs, Books, Video Games and Memory at discounted prices. - worth alook. (+quidco)

Anyone got any experience with this lens (will be for my K10d) I'm not expecting razor sharp images from 18 to 200mm..

thanks

04-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #2

This lens is great, and while you can't expect super sharp images throughout the whole focal range, or a prime aperture, it is a very useful lens to have in a situation like yours. Working at Best Buy and having hands-on access to it every single day, I have to say it is one of my favorite lenses. The only downside I have found to it is something I like to call a "bouncing focus" where it will overfocus, then underfocus, and repeat getting closer and closer to the proper one. As if it were bouncing like a ball. Quite an interesting thing.

Otherwise for the price, and the focal range, it's perfect.
04-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thats what I wanted to hear ...

Is it worth considering trading in my K10d for a k200d ? the k10d seems tiny bit over complicated for me, and my k100d is great, almost a P&S. I gather the k200d is more comparable to the k100d than the k10d.. hence why I fancy it over the k10d.. any thoughts..
04-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #4

If the K10D is too complex, then I would say yes, go for the K200D, same sensor as the K10D, smaller, easier package.

04-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Tamron 18-250 is an excellent all around lens and very good to have if you want to have one lens for traveling and not to have to worry about changing lenses for certain situations. What you probably already have heard about the lens is that no, you will not have razor sharp photos like that of a prime or less range zoom, yes, the 200-250 range can be a bit soft, yes, the 18mm angle can give you some barrel distortion, but on the other hand, these detractions are not a reason not to love this lens for what it offers. The minor flaws can easily be fixed with most software (i.e., sharpening, barrel correction, vignetting correction, etc) and the quality with the K10D will in most cases be much MUCH better than that of a typical P&S which you may be more familiar with. I say this because you mentioned wanting possible to trade the K10D in for something more like and P&S, which I would strongly advise NOT to0 do this!! The K10D is a wonderful body and yes, it has a learning curve for most people...but once you get a handle on what it can do, you may find it's a fantastic camera and a better choice than an older model or less advanced none.

I travel with my K10D/Tamron 18-250 setup very frequently and with the sunshine you'll likely have on a Greek Island cruise, you should enjoy some wonderful shots and be happy you have this combo on hand.

Good luck and have fun!

"Καλο Ταχιδι"

Jason