Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cut the stop down lever off a 50mm f1.4 that also had a bent filter ring. I find it rather handy to just point, focus, and snap. I was missing shots forgetting to manually meter and shooting only at f1.4 is rather limiting. Chasing a kid around with a manual lens and manual metering is a bit challenging. Call it a personal preference. M42 lenses are nice for this, but a decent infinity adapter adds cost. I wouldn't recommend hacking up a lens >$100.

12-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

If I really didn't like a lens, I guess crippling the actuator lever is something I could bear to do. A less drastic solution (but requiring some care in handling) would be to mount the lens halfway and use the aperture ring (all M lenses have an aperture ring). If you are worried about twisting off the lens - due to a stiff focus or aperture ring - much lighter surgery can be done by taking a Dremel tool and with great care notching the edge of the (hopefully) metal mount in approximately the same way the lock-in notch appears. You will have to play with the lens mounting travel to locate the best position for the modification. This allows stop-down photography, giving you both ISO shifting capability and floating shutter speed without using the green button.

Personally I live with the use of the green button, and try to avoid an M lens when shooting in changing lighting conditions.
12-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
I cut the stop down lever off a 50mm f1.4 that also had a bent filter ring. I find it rather handy to just point, focus, and snap. I was missing shots forgetting to manually meter and shooting only at f1.4 is rather limiting. Chasing a kid around with a manual lens and manual metering is a bit challenging. Call it a personal preference. M42 lenses are nice for this, but a decent infinity adapter adds cost. I wouldn't recommend hacking up a lens >$100.
I would think this would make the viewfinder screen dark and hard to focus with?
Or do you have a split screen installed?
12-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I would think this would make the viewfinder screen dark and hard to focus with?
Or do you have a split screen installed?
I generally don't go down to a small aperture where this creates a problem. The standard VF screen is optimized for f/4 - and I use a good quality 1.3x magnifier (much better than the Pentax OEM unit). With MF lenses I am more likely to use the LV screen with FP in any event. So, below about f/4 - yes - I think it creates a major problem. Although I don't use the modification on my larger cameras (green button is good enough for me), this is also exactly how it works with my lenses adapted to the Q - so I do have some experience using it. Not a perfect system, but not as much of a problem as you might think.

12-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I use a good quality 1.3x magnifier
Which one would that be? Olympus?

Steve
12-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Which one would that be? Olympus?

Steve
Here it is. Apparently not available outside of ebay channels, but the quality is superb in terms of coatings, clarity and very nice rubber eyecups.
1 3X Magnifier View Finder Eyecup for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Sony DSLR | eBay
12-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think I remember that someone mentioned a less destructive way of operating in manual stop-down mode: drill a small indent in the back of the lens so that the lens locks into position short of the normal locked position. Now the stop-down lever is out of "harm's" way...
12-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #23

Did that first - then filled the hole with jb weld and cut off the lever instead. It didn't feel tight enough and the lever still grabbed after F5.6

I have no problems focusing or having a dark viewfinder. Anything beyond F8 is infinity shots for me.

12-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
I have no problems focusing or having a dark viewfinder. Anything beyond F8 is infinity shots for me.
I also removed the aperture lever of my my 1.4, and also an old 70-150 Vivitar, which was a reversible job as the lever was attached with screws. Focusing is no problem up to f8, and if you need to go further, you use it as an old preset lens, wide open to focus and count the clicks to desired f stop and take the shot. I even removed the aperture ring bearing, doing the f stops by feel, it makes it very handy for silent and smooth shooting in movie mode.
The only problem is when you use CIF, which won't work stopped down more than about f8...

Last edited by altopiet; 12-18-2013 at 07:27 AM.
12-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Note, of course, that the surgical options reduce the resale value of the lens to zero.

Note too, that Av mode metering with the K-30 does not provide consistently accurate exposures, particularly at wider apertures. Compare shutter values by f/stop from M-mode to the same stop in Av mode.

I will restate the solution to this problem that I personally use:
  • M-mode
  • Take initial meter reading using green button or hand-held meter
  • Use those settings until either the light or the subject changes

Steve
12-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Let me chime in with what I've been doing.
  • M-mode
  • Take initial meter reading using green button
Where did I hear that before? :-)
12-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Let me chime in with what I've been doing.
  • M-mode
  • Take initial meter reading using green button
Where did I hear that before? :-)
We could make it into a song and call it the "Green Button Mantra", or something like that.

Steve
12-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Hay that's really similar to what I've been doing!

* M-mode
* Take initial meter reading using green button or hand-held meter
* Use those settings until either the light or the subject changes

12-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery
Yvon Bourque, in his book "Pentax K-7 - Everything you need to know...and then some" explains his method to activate metering with manual lenses that do not have an "A" setting; without using the green button. Specifically, Chapter 4.
12-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
Pentaxian

....and?