Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question - why?

At the time I was looking for something better than an P&S with a long zoom, but limited speed/frame rate, there were really only 3 options (besides the 4/3's)
Nikon, Canon, Pentax... Sony was just starting - and not really available.

I tried out the Canon/Nikon/Pentax at a few stores (when they sold Pentax that is). It was effectively Nikon D3000, Canon T2, Pentax K-x

1. Nikon/Canon 'felt' light/cheap/plasticy - i.e. a drop would shatter them.
2. Pentax K-x had a bit more 'heft' to it - even though it was a bit smaller physically.
3. AA batteries - this was a big one for me, as I had a Sony handicam - batteries/chargers were not convenient, and run out when you didn't want them to.
4. Video - at the time - it was the only one doing video on the entry level model.
5. SR - Nikon/Canon had lens based SR (== $$$ for lenses)
6. Colours - I ended up with a Red K-x. Hey - in a sea of black Canon/Nikon/Sony's - it won't be mistaken for anyone else's. Wife likes it for converstation starter.
7. Lens capabilities - K mount supports just about anything. Canons/Nikons (I've heard) are more limited for what is supported. Eg. Nikon FX doesn't work on a DX.
8. Option of camera motor vs. lens motor for AF. Camera motor = VERY reliable/rugged. I've read of stories (probably mostly Pentax SDM tough) of lens AF motor failure.
9. At the time (probably still partly true) - very fast shutter rate - My K-x was faster than both Nikon and Canon entries. Sony's SLT blew them all away.
10. Price. I purchased my Red K-x for ~$450 with lens. I recently upgraded to a K-30 for... $469.
11. Pictures are AWESOME. K-30 ~= poor man's K-5.
12. You 'meet' other Pentaxians when travelling. With Canon/Nikon/Sony - its like having an iPhone - who cares, everyone has one. Having a Pentax in a sea of Canon/Nikon/Sony is quite unique, and owners are somewhat loyal.

Cons:
1. Almost everything Pentax must be ordered from places like B&H, Adorama or Amazon. Local stores in SoCal don't stock anything Pentax, and they are few and far between.
2. (Some) Lenses are more expensive for Pentax mount than say Canon - eg. Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 $499 vs. $399.
3. Many lenses aren't being made for Pentax - period - doesn't bother me much - as I don't need a stockpile.
4. Ricoh - when are you coming to the US ? You don't really have a presence here.

12-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Pentax Story

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
After reading a few threads about Pentax not having a full-frame camera and seeing that Pentax has a only a 3% market share of DSLR sales, I've began to wonder why are some of you shooting with a Pentax DSLR? Why didn't you do what more than two-thirds of all DSLR owners world wide have done and shoot with either a Canon or Nikon? I have my own guesses, but I wanted to hear from you.

For me, the answer was simple; The D800E was delayed by the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. So not wanting to wait any longer on rumors, I bought a 645D. I bought it not only for its resolution, but also for the medium-format look that no amount of pixels on a FF Nikon could ever duplicate. I also didn't want to be one of those guys who upgrades every few years and ends up spending more on mediocre equipment as opposed to just buying one awesome camera and having it for decade or more. That and the cost of the used lenses were major influence as well.
I started out shooting DSLR with Pentax because I got lucky on price. I took up photography as a hobby when I became disabled and needed something to do before I climbed the walls. So, I bought an advanced P&S "bridge" camera and fell in love with photography. When I developed enough skill to justify the upgrade to DSLR (a little over a year), I did my research and was going to buy a Sony. But, when I went into the camera store, the sales guy told me they were going out of business (Ritz, 2009) and offered me a brand new in box Pentax K10D body for $250! I bought a Quantaray lens that turned out to have unanimously bad reviews when I researched it that night. So, I ordered the DA 18-55 AL from a legit online merchant for $99 and returned the Quantaray in the meantime. When I got the 18-55, what actually was in the box was its just released replacement, the AL II.

What has kept me with Pentax is 3 things: 1) Finding out that every lens ever made for a Pentax camera, film or digital, would work (some w/ adapter, but still); and 2) Older, "vintage", glass in excellent condition was easy and cheap to come by if I was willing to learn to shoot manual, which I was and did; and 3) I'm a geek, I like being different from everyone else.
12-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why are you shooting with a Pentax?

I was always a Canon P&S guy, probably 4-5 over time, with the last one, a bridge camera, was the S3-IS. I started looking for a DSLR and naturally looked at Canon as what I thought would have been my choice. This was back in '07and I had been in the Philippines and saw in a camera shop, saw an *Ist. I didn't buy it, but it made me realize that Pentax was still around. I stayed with my P&S for a couple years and then when I did decide to move to DSLR, I researched again and compared to the Canon's and this time I looked more closely at Pentax. What made up my mind was low light comparisons and I saw that the KX was what I wanted over the Canon at that time. I don't like flash pics so I wanted cleaner shots with high iso abilities. The Canon samples looked noisy to the 800 - 1600 ISO and that was not for me. I then looked at the KX and was impressed with how much cleaner it looked. Also, in body SR was something that was more important to me, and going sans flash as much as I could, I needed in body SR. I went with the KX and was hooked on it. For the price and the pics I was taking, even as high as 6400, I was sure I made the right decision. Since then, I have moved to my K30 and with weather sealing and pentaprism, among other improvements, I am totally sold on Pentax. They just make great cameras.

Market share is only important to what the masses look at. I am sure that if Pentax as a corporation would put more effort into market share by adding more brick and mortar stores and advertising, they would sell a lot more cameras. I wish they would because sometimes I want to see items in a store rather than a pic online. Well, that is being a Pentaxian, we buy based on reviews and research and those of us who have been with them long enough, have faith in our cameras that always perform well. I think we are going to see a big push from Ricoh to get more investments into brick and mortars and they will definitely compete with the other guys once they are seen by the average Joe in Best Buy or Fry's. I am sure that the K-3 has gotten a lot more attention and I think the change in market share will increase soon.
12-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

First because of the great glass and the small film bodies. Now, because of the great glass and smaller film and digital bodies...

12-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #65
Site Supporter

When I started taking photographs in earnest, I couldn't afford Pentax, let alone Nikon or Minolta - the big brands in those far-off days. So I bought a Zenit E and through this, I discovered Pentax lenses, which shared the M42 mount. Later, I graduated to slightly more expensive cameras using the Pentax mount: a Prinzflex 500 (actually a proprietary brand made by Cosina under license from Ricoh) and a Chinon Memotron being the most notable. Then came the K-mount, and I bought a couple of Chinon bodies, though using one or two Pentax lenses, until finally, I could afford a real Pentax! First a P-30 and then a P-50 with a 35-105mm lens. I stayed with Pentax for years after that, buying a SF-X, then a Z1, followed by a Z-1p, right up to the digital age with an *ist D. Then I sort of drifted into the Nikon camp, with a D200. But I never forgot Pentax, and when the K-7 came out, I bought one although, to be honest I was never over-enamoured with the IQ (but that may be down to my failings, rather than the camera). Then I got a K-5 - and loved it! But not long afterwards, I bought a Nikon D800 and I thought that would be the end of the line for Pentax as far as I was concerned. After all, the D800 had nearly as many pixels in crop mode as the K-5.

But, although the D800 is a fantastic camera, I found myself using the K-5 more than the Nikon. Partly, this was because the D800 and its lenses-on-steroids were such a pain to carry anywhere, but mostly because I just preferred the colour rendition of the Pentax. Then I contracted serious lens-buying addiction, and I discovered the wonderful Limited series, and the phenomenal DA* 60-250mm. I still use the D800, but now I have a K-3, K-5 IIs and the K-5. Do I care that Pentax has such a small share of the market? Only because I want it to stay in the business of making great cameras, and because I think more people should enjoy the great features and ergonomics. I'm getting on a bit now, and really don't need any more cameras..... until Pentax bring out their next top-of-the-range beauty!
12-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #66

I found that Pentax was the only company which was making a system 400mm lens that I could afford. Thereafter, I accumulated several more Pentax-M lenses. Though the shortcomings of the first generation Pentax digital cameras were evident, there was no cause to change to a different system and discard the lenses I already had.
12-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #67

I wanted to upgrade from my point and shoot (Canon Powershot A550) and was looking at superzooms, but realized that DSLR would allow me to learn more. I was set on getting the Canon Rebel XS because I was already familiar with the Canon menu and controls, then I came across an online review of the Pentax K2000. It basically had everything I was looking for, and in body stabilization was the reason I chose Pentax over Canon.
12-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #68
Forum Member

Like some others, I had a Pentax SLR and lenses from the pre-digital era. I loved that a Pentax DSLR would not only allow me to keep using those older lenses, but that I would also get the benefits of Shake Reduction, even with adapter. No other DSLR manufacturer could offer that. I also wanted good qaulity high ISO & low light performance. Those requirements made the K-r an easy decision for me and I haven't regretted it for a second.

12-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Been using Pentax mount systems since 1970. Still have my first SLR. A Mamya/Sekor 500 DTL, And lenses from that will work fine on my K5 and K5-IIs.
12-23-2013, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote

... although the D800 is a fantastic camera, I found myself using the K-5 more than the Nikon... mostly because I just preferred the colour rendition of the Pentax...
Indeed Pentax is noted for their colors. And going on beyond that, Pentax gives a really beautiful, special rendering to the images - truly wonderful.
12-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Indeed Pentax is noted for their colors.
While I did not originally get into Pentax for the colors (my first Pentax camera, the K1000, was given to me as a present), I've stuck with Pentax largely because of the color rendition of the lenses. I attend twice monthly a local camera club that does photo critiques, so I get to see a lot of images shot (mostly) with Canon and Nikon gear, with the best output coming from Canon L glass. While the best output from the top Canon and Nikon glass is pretty impressive in terms of clarity, resolution, and microcontrast, the prints I see from these lenses, however impressive, features colors that are somewhat bland compared to what I get out of my Pentax glass.
12-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Wait--there are other camera brands?!
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

Get a grip man!

Who else will sell you a 645D and a Q7?

12-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #74
Site Supporter

Been shooting Pentax for over45 years. Started with the Spotmatic and neverlooked back. Just a number of reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

Backward lens capability

Prices of lens ( would never be able to afford $5,000.00 fora Nikon lens) Quality may be slightly better but not $3,500 to $4,000.00 worth.

Lens stabilization in the camera

Innovative menu structure. Easy to use and well thought out.

Super, super price for a water resistent body.

Advanced amateur/professional body and lenses. The Limited lenses rival any other lenses on the market. Well maybe not Zeiss. But as I alluded to before, the difference in price is astranomical.

Anyway, there are a couple of reasons.

Love my Pentax

Michael J.
12-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #75
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
The Limited lenses rival any other lenses on the market. Well maybe not Zeiss.

The only Zeiss lens I have owned is the 25mm f2.8 (ZF version) and believe me, the 31mm Limited can rival that one, especially in the corners. It's probably one of the weakest lens that Zeiss make. It had nice rendition, though, and could focus really close. I've read the f2 version is much better.