Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #106

Shot with a MX for a quarter of a century, so it was a no-brainer to go *ist DS and then K-5. Now I've added the HD 20-40 Limited zoom, my picture-taking machine is WR and excellent. On a recent Vancouver trip, we met up with two couples from the US, one Canon and one Nikon each. No funny remarks about Pentax: in fact they were quietly envious of the solidity and build quality of my combination. Then we shared whale-watching and grizzly bear pictures, and there was no real competition. I know that the camera doesn't take the picture, the photographer does - but it surely helps if the equipment performs intuitively and transparently.

10-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Because we have what it takes....plain and simple!

Regards!
Is that where the term "peanut envy" comes from?
10-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't say for certain.

Maybe it is because they make good cameras and good lenses?

Maybe it is because they aren't always like the ones the other guys make. The K1000, the LX, the *ist D, the K10D, the K-01, the Q. Those weren't available from anyone else.

Maybe I'm a bit of maverick; not really a joiner.

To be honest it is kind of a personal thing and hard to explain to other people.

Every camera I have ever bought from them has worked as advertised...and still works.
10-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #109
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
i based my purchase on quality rather than popularity.
K5 iis just seems like the most logical choice for me, until K3 is in reach.

10-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Pentax used to stand for a small footprint camera with very good image quality, in camera shake reuction and weather sealing. A lot of fixed focal length lenses with quite decent specs were available. Pentax missed out on presenting more large aperture lenses and will go fullframe now without a decent lens lineup. For quite some time there are many more announcements than deliveries. If you are interested in the next step - i.e. fullframe - one needs to re-check each lens, and all parameters. So far we do not know how the FF Pentax will perform, we have no clue what the 2.8/70-200 can deliver, so right now I have to say that I do not know why I stick with Pentax... besides I still like the small footprint, the weather sealing and the in camera shake reduction. Looking at the lenses that really interest me Canon and Nikon offer shake reduction in all but one of them, weather sealing is inlcuded and autofocus is from a different world.
Ask yourself can the Ricoh brand do anything right for you? Are you happy where you are?
10-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was a freshman in high scschool I wanted to get into photography. A professional photographer and friend of my parents suggested, of course, the K1000. My brother-in-law happened to have a K1000 set up he wanted to sell. That was in 1985 and I been with Pentax every since. I shot with a Super Program for almost twenty years. When I decided it was time to go digital I actually considered switching to Nikkon. When I found out that the K10D would use all my manual lenses that ended right there. Now I have a K3 and still have no reason to switch. All long time ago when I was using my K10D someone asked me why Pentax. My friend answered him because when you drop your Pentax you dust it off and keep shooting. When your drop your Cannon you buy a new one, that is why he shoots Pentax. My friend is a professional photographer who shoots full frame Cannon. Lastly I have always drove a Jeep and have pretty much thought of Pentax as the Jeeps of the camera workd. Unique and with a following of their own.
10-18-2015, 05:21 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Glass - the FA 31/77 are brilliant
In-body stabilisation - provides lots of options
Rugged build/reliability and small size (relatively)
Sensors - Pentax seem to extract a lot from the Sony sensors
10-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #113

My first SLR was a Pentax (P30T) and was stolen at uni. Years later when I bought a DSLR I bought a Pentax (well, Samsung GX10) because compared to the equivalent Canikon models it offered better value and spec. That sent me on an upgrade path of GX20>K5>K3II and I've never felt the need to jump ship.

10-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter

As a newbie with no experience at all of DSLRs but keen to learn, I read all the reviews - K5 was the flagship then - and liked the water resistance and low light performance and general toughness and quality of the camera that they alluded to. It seemed I would have to pay a lot more for the same features in Cannikonland.

Then I went to a camera store and the salesman tried to talk me out of it by using the argument that what I was really buying into was a system - I didn't really understand what he meant as I was clueless re lenses etc at that point - but to make him happy I held and handled all three (Canon, Nikon and Pentax) and I just REALLY preferred the feel of the Pentax. I have had hand surgery and it simply was a better fit and feel ergonomically.

Much to his horror I walked out with the Pentax K5. He fully expected me to return it under their 14 day exchange policy once I realised what I had done and came to my senses, but I am still a Pentax lover and now have a bunch of glass to hang off my K3s, which I love even more than the K5.

I have done a couple of classes - am doing one at the moment - and the teachers know nothing about them, but are constantly amazed at the features and the quality and the lovely, lovely primes and colour handling.

Every once and a while I look over the fence, but I REALLY like what I have and the others just don't feel as nice.
10-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #115

My dad had a Ricoh SLR when I was little, he later switched to Olympus and gave the Ricoh to my brother (who used it quite a bit).

In 2007 I was looking into buying a DSLR for a trip to Dubai (never went though) and had a close look at all Olympus, CANIKON, Sony, Pentax and Samsung had to offer.
The final candidates were the K10D and the Nikon D80.

After comparing both at a local electronics market (that go rid of all things Pentax a year later) I decided on the K10D and have been hooked ever since.
The Pentax just felt a lot better in my hands and I liked all the features and the locks for the battery and card slots...

K-7, k-r, Q, Auto 110 and several other film bodies followed, and now the K-3...
10-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #116

Whenever I plan to spend a chunk of money I always research (exhaustively!) about the features and Pentax definitely gave you more for your money. I therefore went for the K-r.

Struggled to find lenses so was given a Canon 1100D for my birthday - god that thing felt like a toy! Managed with that for ~18 months but still preferred my Pentax which felt much more comfortable in the hand and like a tank in build.

I then discovered this forum and the joy of using old glass which breathed new life into my love for all things Pentax - I've never looked back (and the availability of lenses in B&M stores is improving).

I've now moved on to a K-S2 - the Canon is gone (good riddance) - but I'll never sell my K-r. It's like that pair of comfy slippers that you never quite replicate when you get a new pair.

Regards
10-29-2015, 06:34 AM   #117
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I started with a Canon Eos SLR, however, my dad had a Yashica and Pentax ME camera that we had used for every family event and vacation, along with a set of basic prime lenses. He never did much photography other than family events and vacation photos. When they started gathering dust, I took them and really loved the quality (build and image) of the Pentax. I was also in the market for a dSLR at the time. I saw the prices of the Pentax's vs CaNikon's and couldn't justify picking one of those over the Pentax. Plus, I had a set of Prime lenses (albeit, limited to manual). When it came time to sell the Canon, I almost had to give it away. The Pentax ME? I finally sold that as well, but the demand was more than I expected and I got a great offer for it from a guy in South Korea. Hopefully it's getting great use out there!

I settled on the K10D to start and loved it. It did what I needed to. I'm now more interested in learning the nuances of photography and expanding my skills, so I just upgraded to the K3. The K10D will be passed onto the kids to learn SLR photography, so possibly bringing another generation of Pentaxians into the mix.
11-01-2015, 01:43 AM   #118
Pentaxian

I started with Canon and Nikon in the film era. I went back to photography in 2008 buying into Olympus. Junked the system when they killed 4/3.

I chose Pentax because of the support they had for the K Mount, in body shake reduction, weather resist, durable and all in all, value for money. Now that I'm here I appreciate the system better than Olympus and I love the outcome of my photos.
11-01-2015, 01:56 AM   #119

I think for me it's the whole value for money/bang for buck thing.

But it's also the way the companies come across (to me). For Pentax it's like, you're interested in photography? Great! Here are the best tools we can make at that price to help you in your hobby/career.

Whereas Canikon come across as, that's all you can afford? We're not going to waste our time or money on making great tools since you obviously aren't serious enough about the whole thing to spend the big bucks.

Having owned what are considered beginner cameras from Pentax and Canon that's how it came across to me.
Regards
11-01-2015, 01:59 AM   #120

I like what Pentax has to offer, and I don't feel I need to be like everyone else.