Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I switched from my Minolta X700 to dSLR a few years ago, I made spreadsheet after spreadsheet comparing features and prices. The features of the K10D spoke to me but it was actually a bit outside the budget. I found a shop that had a K10D in stock, handled it and walked out. Turned around, walked in again and bought it (by accident I even got the II version of the kit lens with it).

12-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #47
Forum Member

Bang for buck, especially with weather sealing for the places i (am going to) take it and things i (am going to) do with it.
12-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A buddy of mine in grade school was very into film - both cinematic and still. I tagged along, and he set me up with using his Nikon slr's (can't remember what they were). One day we went to a camera swap and shop, where I picked up my first camera, the Pentax MX. Had I picked up anything other than a Pentax that day, I probably wouldn't be here today on this forum, with the MX proudly displayed on a shelf, several M series lenses, and a gently used K20d.
12-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Always had an interest in photography by never had anything more than a point n shoot and then my phone as they got better. Always lusted over DSLR's though.

Went through a divorce and no longer had someone holding me back from doing things I'd always wanted to do and learn. And progressively have fulfilled these desires. About this time last year I started looking into DSLR's.

My initial comparisons were 650D & D5100. Researched a computer forum I visit that has quite a lot of other interests too. Someone there pointed out the Pentax K30.

The obvious, educated choice became easy. Comparisons on websites like snapsort highlighted the value proposition even more. The only area it fell short is in video and that means little to me.

12 months later and I've upgraded to a K-3 and no looking back.

12-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #50
Veteran Member

When I was a kid, I would borrow my older brother's Konica T3 from time to time. When I was a bit older, I was gifted a Pentax ( film ) P&S. I used that extensively and enjoyed it, but I always wanted more manual control. When I finally decided to get a film SLR, I was drawn to the older, metal, manual cameras - probably because of my early experiences with the Konica.

I ended up getting a used Pentax MX, and started collecting old M series lenses off eBay. Being a cheap bastard, it was a no-brainer to stick with Pentax when it came time to switch to digital, partly related to the type of shooting I do. In-body SR, weather sealing, and general ruggedness were strong selling points. That these features were available in a mid-range DSLR - the K200D - was a bonus. In hindsight, I wish that the K200D had a better viewfinder, and 2 control wheels, but I've got those features now with the K30. I've never thought of it before, but I think I may have paid less for my K30 with WR kit lens than I did for my K200D with a non-WR kit lens.

Though I've sometimes wondered if I should "jump ship", there's never been a compelling reason to do so.
12-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I shot Nikon F and F2 film for years. I still have all of my film gear. When digital DSLR's became affordable a few years ago, the Pentax had the features that I needed. The K100DS had shake reduction and would accept just about any lens and still have metering. The low end Nikons wouldn't accept my lenses and metering wasn't available in manual either. The Canon Rebels felt like a toy in my hands, so Canon wasn't an option. Pentax was the answer and I haven't regretted it yet. My new Black Friday special K5II is great for nature,micro and general use. Pentax has no FF body yet, no problem. I bought a very nice used Canon 5D FF body. It accepts all of my old Nikon,M42 and Olympus glass with inexpensive adapters. It is wonderful for portraits, landscape and low light work. Now if I only had something longer then 300mm on the K5II for birds.
12-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #52

I started out using a Pentax K-1000 in college and liked the design. I have always used Pentax since as far as SLR cameras go. Seeing that I had a number of K mount lenses from my film days, the D-slr in Pentax was the way to go. It is great to use 25 year old lenses on a newer digital camera body.

12-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #53

I weighed the differences in them all. I chose Pentax and never looked back.
12-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Growing up, my Grandfather used Pentax and obtained beautiful shots.
Both my parents used Pentax.
So when I got my first film camera, it was a Pentax.
I moved away when I started to go digital.
Then, when I wanted narrower DOF than my Fuji bridge camera could give me...
I returned to Pentax and my existing lens' returned to full time active service.
12-18-2013, 07:45 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait--there are other camera brands?!
12-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #56

I had a Canon P&S superzoom (not "super" compared to the zooms they can pack now!) and I sort of wanted to upgrade. I bought an issue of Consumer Reports that rated cameras and the K200D caught my eye as being the only affordable weather resistant model. I happened to have a K-mount telephoto lens handed down to me, as well. I ended up buying a K-7.

The features that brought me to Pentax:

+in-body SR
+more affordable, better value in terms of price/performance (for both bodies and lenses)
+weather resistant
+all those great old lenses (my 50mm SMC Takumar is one of my favorite pieces of glass)
12-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Because I can?
12-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #58
Inactive Account

When I was researching a DSLR, I wanted to take better pictures and to start photography as a hobby. I picked pentax because the system seemed to offer a great value and its weaknesses (AF and Flash) seemed like things that kept the camera from taking a good picture but still allows the photographer to take a good picture. Those weaknesses are also things that improve with each generation of camera allowing a novice photographer like myself to learn the way cameras think and use future cameras more effectively.

Pentax seemed like a more consumer friendly company, I am not sure if that is their culture or just a side effect of their market share. But when you look at canon or nikon products you get the vibe that they carefully design their products to be either deliberately crippled (more to make you spend money on future purchase than to save money) or overpriced. If pentax releases a product with a weakness it isn't because they have another product that doesn't have that weakness they don't want to cannibalize their sales (think DAL vs DA lenses) they make a cheaper product by taking their good products and cutting costs without sacrificing features. I actually view the limited lens selection and APS-C focus as a benefit of pentax because it isn't always trying to lure you into spending more money repurchasing lenses that you already have because you want a little better feature (like stabilization or micromotor) or because you moved from APS-C to FF.
12-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
When I was researching a DSLR, I wanted to take better pictures and to start photography as a hobby. I picked pentax because the system seemed to offer a great value and its weaknesses (AF and Flash) seemed like things that kept the camera from taking a good picture but still allows the photographer to take a good picture. Those weaknesses are also things that improve with each generation of camera allowing a novice photographer like myself to learn the way cameras think and use future cameras more effectively..
Exactly!
12-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Pentax bodies are an extension of the photographer. They enable me to achieve what I want in a very transparent, synergistic way. They don't get in the way, or "fight against me" in what I'm trying to do.

Pentax lenses give that special rendering, that "Pentax look" in the images they create, which I find irreplaceable, period.