Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

Because I dropped my Pentax camera and it still works.

11-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #122
Site Supporter

OK, I like the K-01, but it's definitely a different beast from a traditional DSLR!
11-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #123
Veteran Member

I started with Pentax because before the great price hike of 2012, Pentax was known for being a good bang-for-the-buck brand and I used to be cheap.

Now I'm not cheap anymore, but I stay with Pentax because of the ergonomics and I'm a hopeless optimist about how good the FF will be when it's finally released.
11-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just had the opportunity to bail from Pentax Ricoh and almost did; their corporate support is majestically meh. Missing downloads, no response to emails, no response to chats, missing terms on things like warranties and authorized dealers, prices that seem to flucuate like Uber surge pricing.

But I still bought another body and a coupla lenses, 'cause Pentax still provides the best value for the money, and features that some cameras only include if you pay through the nose. And some innovative stuff, like the Astrotracer, which is just brilliant. And a super affordable extended warranty. This despite the parent company's best efforts to dissuade me....

11-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently switched from Nikon/Fuji/Sigma to Pentax because of "Pixel Shift" on the K3II!

Specifically, I sold much of my Nikon/Fuji/Sigma equipment and bought 6 of the best Pentax glass because of this K3II pixel shifted photo . I was floored by the clarity and detail of this photo. It's the first APS-C photo I'd ever seen that had as good of detail (or better?) then I was getting from my Sigma DP Merrill cameras!
11-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #126
Pentaxian

Some people cite as the reason they buy Pentax is because the Pentax line is generally cheaper.

Could be, but not in my case. When I tally up the thousands of dollars I've spent on Pentax gear since 2007, it is considerable.

For what I've spent since '07, I could of bought a Nikon FF camera with Nikkor ( do they still call it that, or is it just Nikon) 70-200 F 2.8, 14-24 F 2.8 lens, Sigma 150-500, 105 Macro, 900 flash gun, etc.

But I like Pentax equipment, it works well for me, so far I have no complaints. So why change ?
11-01-2015, 07:46 PM - 2 Likes   #127
Veteran Member

I bought pentax because i always felt canikon purposely removed features on their bodies. I always felt the canikon engineers were beholden to the bean counters. I felt that pentax engineers had limitations but they did their best to give you the best camera they could because they love photography and wanted you to love photography too.

11-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #128

Photos: Gallery
My Pentax cameras come out when I need low light capabilities. and weather sealing. My Q is fun and adding on c mount primes has helped that system, and I almost have all the lenses for my k-50 that I need. The lower priced lenses are really good.
11-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #129

I learnt on, and had been using my father's Minolta SRT101, and my Minolta X-300 for years. Then made the jump to DSLR with the K10D because of the in camera SR and the dust/water seals it had. Then in 2008 I added a K20D. This year I figured it was time to upgrade, so I went for the K3-ll. Having never used another DSLR brand I can't really compare the Pentax. But I like the Pentax, have got a few lenses, planning to get more, a DA*300 is the next one I want, with my 1.4XTC, it will be great for surfing shots.

I can't see myself changing brands anytime, am building my lens collection for Pentax APS-C, so I'll be sticking with that. I don't think I'll get the new FF when it comes out, maybe sometime down the track. So I'll keep my eye on any new APS-C camera's Pentax release in the future. Maybe not the next APS-C released, but look to upgrade again after that. Hopefully Pentax will continue to release a APS-C camera for years to come.
11-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #130

Recently I joined the Pentax DSLR fold with the K3ii because of the camera superb feature set, dynamic range and weather sealing. Also, I like the ability to find decent quality primes without breaking my bank