Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why are you shooting with a Pentax?

After reading a few threads about Pentax not having a full-frame camera and seeing that Pentax has a only a 3% market share of DSLR sales, I've began to wonder why are some of you shooting with a Pentax DSLR? Why didn't you do what more than two-thirds of all DSLR owners world wide have done and shoot with either a Canon or Nikon? I have my own guesses, but I wanted to hear from you.

For me, the answer was simple; The D800E was delayed by the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. So not wanting to wait any longer on rumors, I bought a 645D. I bought it not only for its resolution, but also for the medium-format look that no amount of pixels on a FF Nikon could ever duplicate. I also didn't want to be one of those guys who upgrades every few years and ends up spending more on mediocre equipment as opposed to just buying one awesome camera and having it for decade or more. That and the cost of the used lenses were major influence as well.

12-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

2-part answer.

Why did I start shooting with Pentax? I returned to photography several years ago. I started my brand research with Pentax because I had some of my sister's old K-mount lenses. Nothing about Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. gave me a compelling reason to not go with Pentax. The K-r had a good feature set plus I found a good price on it.

Why do I keep shooting with Pentax? My current K-5 continues to have great performance and there's no impetus for me to change over to a different APS-C system. I'm probably 6 months to a year away from my next camera body.
12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I grew up using my Father's full-manual Minolta. It was easy, and I wanted to be able to use a modern camera in a similar manner. The Pentax cameras (K10D at the time for me) seemed FAR easier for a technical shooter - all the controls were built for the photographer to control the images, not the camera. Plus, weather sealing and rugged use are always something I favor. I know I'm going to put any device through a little punishment. The ability to use some fine old "glass-n-brass" lenses was a big draw.
12-12-2013, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

I bought my first camera almost two years ago. It was the K-r. At that time I had absolutely no knowledge about photography, but after a quick research, K-r turned out to be the best bang for the buck (compared to nikon 3100/canon 1100D).

After about a year of shooting, I decided to upgrade and then I had a little dilemma in my head, whether I should change my "religion" or not.

Because I've found myself to be a prime shooter, I decided to stay a Pentaxian (because Pentax makes some really nice prime lenses, if somebody didn't know). So I got myself a K5IIs and I've been a very happy user ever since

I never really cared about market shares, other people opinions, etc. That is not what photography is about

12-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have more than one camera and brand. If I had a 645D, it would not meet the needs of all my shooting. Fast candid shooting (in low light if needed) is one aspect of my photography. Another is smaller, compact and convenient for other things and so on.
12-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Masochist, I guess, but not masochistic enough to ignore a perfectly good camera line just because they don't have the same market share as the mass-marketed product.

Steve
12-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have more than one camera.
Understatement, if I ever heard one

Steve

12-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I had been a Nikon and Canon compact shooter. when upgrading to a DSLR, I absolutely wanted SR, so my options were Sony or Pentax. I preferred the handling of Pentax, plus I was swayed by the weather resistance, fine ergonomics, better build quality, and availability of older lenses.

I haven't looked back.
12-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Understatement, if I ever heard one
Steve
Me thinks you have more camera bodies than me.
12-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Not interested in FF due to bulk and I don't sell my work. SR and affordable WR are big to me.
12-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
I also didn't want to be one of those guys who upgrades every few years and ends up spending more on mediocre equipment as opposed to just buying one awesome camera and having it for decade or more. .
wow... I like that reasoning. I will use that to convince my wife....
but then I will have no excuses for my bad photos anymore....decision, decision...
12-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Started: Did a search for dslr cameras that used AA batteries, since I had a bunch of rechargeables I wanted to keep using. The only think that came up was the k-x so that's what I bought. It was not until after I had the camera for a while, and found this forum that realized Pentax was Doomed....

Stay: Still the best value for the money I think. Generally better build and more features than the comparable model from the competition. Feel and ergonomics are still best in class for my hands, every time I pick up a canonikon camera at the store I am just shocked at how cheap they feel. Lens prices were a major attraction when I first started but with current pricing I don't see that as a major differentiator any more.
12-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #13

I still shoot with Pentax because I like it and there are some lenses that are not available in other systems. But unfortunately I do it less and less. Most of my shooting is with Nikon system these days and I sold most of my Pentax lenses to fund it. I could get the system I wanted for Nikon much cheaper second hand than I would be able to get that for Pentax so that was just simple maths (D7100 + Sigma 8-16 + Sigma 30mm + Sigma 150-500 DG OS). I still have my light weight combo with 18-135WR + A*300/4 (+ A1.4x-S teleconverter) and some old manual primes that I adore (Tokina AT-X 90mm/2.5 macro and K135mm/2.5).

But for me it's just what I need (or what I think I need) and I go with that. I couldn't care less with market shares. I care what suits me best.
12-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Me thinks you have more camera bodies than me.
But mine were cheap

Steve
12-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

In the beginning the K1000 was what I could afford.

Several years later I bought an LX and became addicted.

A few years after that I bought a 645Nii. Nothing from anyone else has ever been able to compete with a Provia slide from that camera, not even Leica.

Bought and sold several Pentax digital cameras until the Q came along. I think I may be addicted all over again.

Picked up a K-01 when they went on sale a few months ago and was so impressed with the camera that I kept it. Still loving it.

My next one will almost certainly be the 645D.

I stay with Pentax because no one else has been able to give me the cameras I listed above. They are all photographer's cameras and even the bigger ones are still very small for the value they provide, including the 645.