Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cleaning k100d.....can't get the hair off :(

Hey all, I've been spending some time today cleaning my camera and lenses because they were a bit dirty. After cleaning the camera, I look through the viewfinder and notice a hair that I just can't get off!!!!!!! It doesn't seem to be on the mirror and I've cleaned the viewfinder part inside the camera. It seems like it's on the inside of the viewfinder now and I have no idea how it got there. Of coarse I'm looking through the viewfinder with no lens.

This mysterious piece of hair wasn't there before i cleaned the camera.....go figure huh.

Bummer....thanks

04-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It sounds like the hair is on top of the focus screen (the "viewfinder part inside the camera"). You can open the little trap door the focus screen is mounted on for cleaning, but since the focus screen is very easy to damage I would recommend just getting used to the hair. After a while you won't even notice it. At the very least read up carefully on how to access the area and what precautions to take to avoid damaging the screen.

Also, it may not be a hair. What looks like a hair is usually a very fine fiber. Hair looks more like a rope inside the viewfinder (thick, since everything gets a little magnified). Also, be aware that opening it up to clean one thing almost invariably results in the introduction of some other unwanted dust/fiber somewhere.
04-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This problem has been addressed before in the Forums. A search led to this helpful PDF of instructions from the nice folks at KatzEye: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/PENTAX.PDF

Should help you remove your focus screen for cleaning and safe replacement. I followed it a month or so ago when a big dust particle showed up on my K10D's focus screen. Pay attention to the orientation of the tab on the focus screen before you remove it, and replace it in the same orientation, and you'll do fine, I'm sure!
04-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
This problem has been addressed before in the Forums. A search led to this helpful PDF of instructions from the nice folks at KatzEye: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/PENTAX.PDF

Should help you remove your focus screen for cleaning and safe replacement. I followed it a month or so ago when a big dust particle showed up on my K10D's focus screen. Pay attention to the orientation of the tab on the focus screen before you remove it, and replace it in the same orientation, and you'll do fine, I'm sure!
And don't forget to put the spacer in the right position!