Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Panoramic

Hi, this is my first post. Hope I can find an answer to this as it's taking the edge of my enjoyment of making my images.

I will soon be upgrading to the K20 but wish it had the Panoramic feature that is on my MZ5n. Is there any way to add this to the K20...(download?) I know I can crop in PS etc but it's at the in-camera framing stage that I miss the joy of seeing the image as it will be output. I would have imagined this to be a simple software fix. If this was available on any digital model
I would gladly pay a heavy premium. Any help or info?

Thanks

04-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #2

Quite honestly you don't need it. Just mentally stitch it, and then use a handy little download program.

www.autostitch.com
04-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Panoramic

Hi Chris thanks for the link

I should have said it's not a true pano or stitched image I'm after just the ability to cut off the top and bottom of the frame to see a letter box type image in the view finder as in the MZ 5n Film camera.
04-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well if your willing to throw all that image data away do it in post processing that way if you change your mind you still have the original image. the format is already 1.5:1 pano is normally sort of 2:1 ? not much to crop off.

autostitch is a very good freebee the only downside being it will only handle Jpeg and consequently 8 bit channels but as free software its great. A very good comercial program is autopano that uses the autopano engine

by the way its AutoStitch (not com)

04-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote

autostitch is a very good freebee the only downside being it will only handle Jpeg and consequently 8 bit channels but as free software its great.

by the way its AutoStitch (not com)
Calico is the equivalent if you have a Mac.
04-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jnasey Quote
Hi Chris thanks for the link

I should have said it's not a true pano or stitched image I'm after just the ability to cut off the top and bottom of the frame to see a letter box type image in the view finder as in the MZ 5n Film camera.
Yep, just crop them off on your computer. Picasa from Google is free, and there are many more out there as you probably know.
04-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yep, just crop them off on your computer. Picasa from Google is free, and there are many more out there as you probably know.
And you can crop at any point, not the middle only, and wider or narrower. Example here: [IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/albert_berry/2394286485/[/U]

04-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

try

hugin.sourceforge.net
it's free, it's opensource, it corrects exposition, you can bracket all you shots and build an HDR panorama. well, at least with the the beta version in CVS ( if your ready to try compilling things yourself).
it works under linux/windows/mac