Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-5 II Quick Guide?

Hi, other than Pentax K-1000 experience, I've been through numerous other SLR/DSLRs. Have a Canon 50D, and now recently picked up a Pentax K-5 II, even put my Dad's K-1000 lenses on it and played around with those aniques with a modern Pentax. Always enjoyed using the K-1000. So, no to the question: Having read through the K-5 II manual, it is probably the most comprehensive and complex manual I've ever encountered. Kudo's to Pentax (Ricoh) for that. Has anyone developed a "short version" of a user guide for the K-5 II? Canon has a tri-fold, literally credit card size. I would imagine something for the K-5 II would be possible several smallish cards.

I have found some things intuitive, however, some of the combinations of menu choices and switch setting could result in unintended results... I think I have avoided these so far. I did try it out in the cold driving through the Christmas light show - holding it out by the passenger side mirror, in video mode. The results looked well, in the screen. I took the Canon 50D in the Ice show (reference Gaylord National show), temp there is -degrees, took 25 minutes to kill it at that temp. I think the K-5 II will out last that.

So if anyone knows of a quick guide, please let me know, if one does not exist, sounds like a project.....

On another topic in passing, what is the opinion of the body of the Pentax 50-200 DA? It seems well enough for general use, I picked up a used one locally for $70.

Thanks, All!

Morph00

12-13-2013, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by morph00 Quote
On another topic in passing, what is the opinion of the body of the Pentax 50-200 DA? It seems well enough for general use, I picked up a used one locally for $70.

Thanks, All!

Morph00
The consensus on the 50-200 is that it isn't as good as the 55-300.
12-13-2013, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I came from the K-5 'classic' so the II isn't so unfamiliar - but I have yet to dive into the Big Book so expanded-area AF and a few other mysteries await!

I have the 50-200WR, same optics in a similar body. While the 55-300 outpoints it for range and overall sharpness in my experience, the 50-200 is my favorite for its portability. A light sharpening in post processing matches them up; I shoot too often near 300mm hand-held in marginal light, where any sharpness advantage is wasted! I've always preferred the bokeh from the 50-200.
12-13-2013, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

So if anyone knows of a quick guide, please let me know, if one does not exist, sounds like a project.....
Nothing like that exists, as far as I know. Welcome to Pentax by the way.
Pentax 50-200 DA? It seems well enough for general use,
It is generally regarded as a very adequate kit lens, perhaps not as good as the highly regarded 55-300 but good enough for general use especially at the price.

Oh, and just FYI those k-1000 lenses are not antiques, they are highly regarded classic lenses. If you want to see what Pentax users can do with old lenses check this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html

12-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Folks! Jatrax, LOL, 'Antiques', I love what I can get out of the older manual lenses, I actually have adapters for Nikon to Canon, and Yashica to Canon, for some of the older lenses in my colection of camera gear. Yes, I have film cameras and love getting them on my newer camera bodies, I think it is cool to use them. And with my Dad's older K-1000 lenses, It is a special feeling... I'll certainly check out the link.

Hmm, I do a lot of existing light photography, bands, dance, lots of motion, so I am considering the Sigma lens 50-105 f2.8, I think for those situations. I'll use this one for outdoors shots, general photography. I did get the Pentax 50mm f1.8, didn't go for the f1.4, not sure I see the need at this time. I used a 70-200mm f2.8 for dance stage shots in the past on the Canon. I probably will expand the Pentax inventory over the year, possibly another body, surely another lens or three.

Thanks, All, Guess I'll go through the manual, and see if I can come up with a quick reference.

Morph00
12-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Guess I'll go through the manual, and see if I can come up with a quick reference.
And don't hesitate to ask questions, lots of experienced Pentax shooters here. And with the general lack of third party books and tutorials we have learned to help each other.
12-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Folks! Jatrax, LOL, 'Antiques', I love what I can get out of the older manual lenses, I actually have adapters for Nikon to Canon, and Yashica to Canon, for some of the older lenses in my colection of camera gear. Yes, I have film cameras and love getting them on my newer camera bodies, I think it is cool to use them. And with my Dad's older K-1000 lenses, It is a special feeling... I'll certainly check out the link.

Morph00
That's the one advantage Canon has over Pentax, a short focal flange distance that allows more lens systems to be adapted than the Pentax flange distance allows. The only systems you can't adapt to Canon EF are Canon FL/FD, Minolta SR, Fujica X, Praktica B and Sigma SA. A mount would be tough because the flange is only .5 mm longer on A mount.

But there a huge number of K-mount and M42 screw thread lenses available. More than enough to cause LBA...