Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x replacement?

I had very bad experience with k-x. Countless AF issues, lens compatibility (Sigma is more or less OK, had tons of issues with Tamron) battery issues, you name it.

The last one, for instance, is that it drains batteries EXTREMELY fast, I mean in less than 100 shots (I am talking about Sanyo Eneloop here). I googled and could see that other people reported similar issues, which were fixed by Pentax (this is not an option in my case, the repair will cost too much).

I would say that I through away about 2/3 of my pictures just because they are out of focus (and I tried everything, trust me).

Anyway... I would not even consider buying Pentax again, but I am stuck with the lens...

So tell me:
1. Was this just my bad luck (bad model/bad)?
2. If I will decide not to sell my lens on ebay and get a decent Canon, which Pentax should I get to replace k-x?

12-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by moshepupkin Quote
I had very bad experience with k-x. Countless AF issues, lens compatibility (Sigma is more or less OK, had tons of issues with Tamron) battery issues, you name it.

The last one, for instance, is that it drains batteries EXTREMELY fast, I mean in less than 100 shots (I am talking about Sanyo Eneloop here). I googled and could see that other people reported similar issues, which were fixed by Pentax (this is not an option in my case, the repair will cost too much).

I would say that I through away about 2/3 of my pictures just because they are out of focus (and I tried everything, trust me).

Anyway... I would not even consider buying Pentax again, but I am stuck with the lens...

So tell me:
1. Was this just my bad luck (bad model/bad)?
2. If I will decide not to sell my lens on ebay and get a decent Canon, which Pentax should I get to replace k-x?
It seems as if your mind is already made up, so I would suggest you try and sell the lenses, you can even try the market place here on the forums if you have no luck on EBay. If your prices are reasonable, I'm sure you won't have any problems selling them to some of the Pentax users here on the forums
12-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

The K-x was my 1st DSLR and bought the 1st time it came out in Nov. 2009. Yes, it does not have a auto focus assist light if you had previous cameras that had one, it might get you real frustrated. Your battery issues should had been fixed with the firmware update. I had the same experience before but I found that the Energizer lithium batteries were better albeit a bit expensive in the long run. Regarding out of focus shots w/ 3rd party lenses w/ auto-focus you might be suffering from front or back focus problems. I had no problems with Pentax lenses on my K-x and only have one Sigma lens but made sure it was calibrated to my camera body and made sure it was brought locally for free calibration. Just recently, have brought the K5ii last black friday and that camera performs a league own its own. The Sigma 30 f1.4 seems to perform well w/out calibration.
12-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Pretty much everyone gets a lot of shots OoF and generally makes bad shots with their "first DSLR" - its after you learn how to use it that you can get some good shots.
OoF problems could also be linked to K-x' lack of AF point overlays in the viewfinder.
I would suggest the K-50 if you are still "a beginner", a K-5II (they are on awesome sales right now, blow out fire sales) if you want a top notch camera.

But seriously, if you just want to blame the brand, get a Nikon. One lens or two does not prevent you from switching brands. Just make sure you buy all Nikon lenses, or you will have Sigma and Tamron to blame again.

12-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I've used a K-x heavily for the last three years and have had an excellent experience with it. My everyday lens for the last two years has been a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 zoom. After using the debug 'fix' to access the service menu, I calibrated the focus fine tune for the Tamron (+50um) using simple at home testing and have had sharp photos ever since. I have also used Eneloop batteries with great success. I've also used other Pentax auto-focus lenses - DA 55-300, FA 77 F1.8 Limited and FA20-35 F4 - with the K-x. These lens also needed some focus fine tune, but within a very fine band between them. Several thousand images have also been taken with Pentax M series manual lenses from the early 80's.

I have upgraded to a K-3 just a few weeks back, not because I was unhappy with the K-x but because I have been happy and desired to go to the next level with my photography.
12-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My first DSLR was the K-X, I bought some Tamron and Sigma, never have any compatibility issue.
Regarding batteries, have you updated the firmware of the K-X? That what solve the batteries issues, cost nothing.
Otherwise buy a K-5II
12-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

My first dslr is a k-x. I have only had the kit lenses though. I have enjoyed it very much. I just upgraded to a k-5ii, which will let me make a grand idiot of myself by doing exactly what I tell it, even if it's bad.
12-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My firmware is 1.03, which seems to be up to date. The guys in this thread tells that it took TWO repair attempts to fix his problem, which sound a lot like mine - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/111518-k-x-non-u...y-drain-2.html

My mind is not set up yet, but I am quite frustrated with my camera. I was not planning to spend much money right now, but the battery issue is a bummer, the camera is practically useless - I have to carry two-three replacement battery packs all the time.

This may not be the right forum, but one of my questions really was - is it just me or is Pentax less reliable than other brands?

K-5 II is an option I am thinking about. AF point overlay would be really useful. Other than that, is it really such a big difference compared to k-x?

Regarding AF calibration - I haven't do this, to be honest. Does it make such a big difference?

12-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your K-x - it's generally a very popular camera. I shot tens of thousands of pictures with my K-x, mostly with Sigma or Tamron lenses. I never had the problems you describe. Any battery issue was solved with the first firmware update.

If you were to get another Pentax, considering your focus problems with the K-x, I would avoid the K-500 - it also lacks AF points in the viewfinder. The K-30/K-50 (essentially the same camera in differently styled bodies) are excellent cameras. They come with a Lithium battery, but for less than US$10, you can get an adapter to use Eneloop AAs.
12-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

We still have our K-x as a backup, though rarely used… it was Tess' first camera, and I don't know if she'll ever get rid of it. Going from a K-x to a K-5 she was in absolute heaven for about 6 months, still is really. You can't judge a brand by a 4 year old camera. I'd have no problem picking ours up and using it today, just based on functionality and IQ. But the 16 Mb file gets addictive… as does the 24 of the K-3. I still prefer the Dynamic range of the K-5 series though.

Last edited by normhead; 12-14-2013 at 07:27 AM.
12-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Just for the record, mine has done over 50 000 clicks without problems, I'm just getting tired of trying to convince people who've obviously made up their minds to jump ship, to stay.
I would say that I through away about 2/3 of my pictures just because they are out of focus (and I tried everything, trust me). Anyway... I would not even consider buying Pentax again, but I am stuck with the lens...
If you recommend another Pentax there will certainly be something that's not 100% perfect, and you'll never hear the end of it all...
12-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello moshepupkin,
I think the quote above, pretty much answers your title question. There is a healthy market for used PK-mount lenses, both here and eBay. You should have no problem selling your lenses, and I'm sure Nikon or Canon will gladly welcome you! And, as I'll bet you already know, their entry-level cameras (both the ones dating from 2009 and the current ones), have absolutely no problems whatsoever. Problem solved.
Thanks for posting.
Ron
12-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Guys, my intention was not to insult the pentaxians here, it just let my frustration spill out. But even then in the back of my mind I did know that one example is of course not statistically representative. Still... I did have a lot of issues with this camera.
12-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
mee
Site Supporter

K-5 II is an option I am thinking about. AF point overlay would be really useful. Other than that, is it really such a big difference compared to k-x?

Yes, yes it is!!! Much bigger jump than going to a K-50 would be..

please note, you will have to get a grip (hehe) to use AA batteries with it though. But you can select (in body) which battery to use (in camera or in grip) and essentially have 'double' the battery life (since you'd have two batteries).

14-bit RAW, 7 fps burst, larger buffer, quieter shutter, top lcd panel, Weather 'sealed' body (provided you use weather 'sealed' lenses), AF assist light, AF point overlay, more buttons for quick changes, much better low light focusing, less high ISO noise, etc etc etc

I think you got a dud K-x though so that shouldn't make rotten all of Pentax. The same problems could have occurred on a Canon or Nikon body.. most of us are fickle and looking for the greenest grass. But what would you really gain by going to Canon? I express this objectively as there are some positive merits to going to Canon (as example)... as well as negative ones...

Have you handled a Canon before? If not, perhaps attending a photomeet in your area would be an interesting event for you... provided there are willing participants in allowing you to handle their cameras.
12-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Marketplace Reseller

Like many others here, my first Pentax DSLR was a k-x. I had a great experience with it, and have since sworn my allegiance to the Pentax line. When I went to costa rica I took 3000+ photos on a single set of batteries (lithium ion). AF worked great, but with one caveat: as long as the subject isn't moving. It was not a camera for sports, for instance, but that has been Pentax's rep - deservedly so - for a long time.

So what kind of shooting are you looking to do? Tough to find a better landscape camera than the k-5IIs, which will set you back a lot less than a comparable canon/nikon. If it's moving objects...

And I second some other sentiments regarding AF - perhaps it isn't the camera, but the lens?

ps - sorry you got a dud. that does happens, and it sucks.