Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Creepy lenses

So, we went to the zoo last week to waste some film, and while we were in the free-flight aviary this Canonista shows up. Rude sort, she seemed to think that her rig gave her license to step in front of us and otherwise be a pain in the tush. We tried to stay out of her way, so we never got a really close look at the gear, but the camera was a D5 or maybe D7, with a huge-mongous white-barrel zoom lens (big enough to have a tripod collar on it, although she wasn't using a tripod). Seemed to think we should be impressed, you know? Well, at one point she leaned down a bit and the barrel of that lens slid forward so far and so fast that she barely caught it before the whole thing crashed into a rock. I had to turn away to keep the smirk out of sight.

Anyway, lens creep, neh? I had never seen it so obvious. Wondered if this was an issue with big Canon lenses, so just out of curiosity I did the ol' Google search on "Canon lens creep". Thought the results would amuse y'all... (guess those algorithms aren't quite as smart as people think...)

Attached Images

12-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lol. Wow. Lens creep must be pretty popular.
12-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Lol. Wow. Lens creep must be pretty popular.
Yep. Who knew you could actually shop for it? Only a few shopping days left, boys and girls...
12-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I would've thought that a lens creep would be some weird dude with a molester mustache taking upskirt shots with an L-series 70-200.

12-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I thought most modern lenses were twist-zoom now, in which case the helicoids (or whatever they;re called) should stop any zoom creep?

I know my 70-210 has plenty of zoom creep, but it's also a 20 odd year old lens with push-pull zoom, and has been taken apart at some stage (where the previous owner proceeded to lose a couple of screws..... thankfully it all still works fine.)

Also, how did the lens hit a rock? did she panic and drop the camera/lens or something?
12-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lens didn't hit the rock, but only because she grabbed the barrel and slid it back an instant before the front would have made contact. She was following us around (what are they shooting? I'll just step in front of them and shoot it, too...) and we were watching/shooting some of the water birds in a pond/lagoon area that has a lot of rocks around the edges. She leaned forward and down a bit, presumably to try to get a shot of one of the birds and zzzzzzzooooooop! went the lens. She did have a firm grip on the camera. Frankly I have no idea how she expected to be able to focus on anything that close, the birds were just a couple of feet in front of her. I'm guessing, but it was probably some kind of ??-300 zoom...

Maybe she got it on Amazon...
12-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
I would've thought that a lens creep would be some weird dude with a molester mustache taking upskirt shots with an L-series 70-200.
LOL! Yeah, I thought of a few different titles for the post and decided to leave 'em be...

12-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wasn't it the 100-400 push-pull zoom then? You can adjust the friction on that lens.
12-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote

Btw, Zoo's are depressing.
12-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Wasn't it the 100-400 push-pull zoom then? You can adjust the friction on that lens.
This.

Although, speaking of lens creeps, the most well-known creep with a lens actually shoots Pentax.
12-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
This.

Although, speaking of lens creeps, the most well-known creep with a lens actually shoots Pentax.
Ok now I want to know who that is on this forum.
12-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Could have been a 100-400, didn't get close enough to note any gear details. Now I wish I had taken a shot or two of her but frankly we were trying to get away from her. I will, next time, if she crosses our path again. One tends to run into the same 'togs periodically at the zoo.

@Corto... agreed, they can be, but ZooMiami is for the most part "cageless". Sometimes the people-watching is as interesting as the animals, too.

But I still think it's funny that you can shop for lens creep...
12-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Ok now I want to know who that is on this forum.
That would be Eggy of 4chan.

If you see an Australian guy shooting street with a DA*300 or a 500mm mirror, that's most probably him.
12-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Example:

PROFANITY WARNING

/p/ - Photography

Mods please don't kill me for linking to that site...
12-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
DA*300 or a 500mm mirror
My definition of a creepy lens - anything suitable for birding used inside an apartment sliding balcony door facing the community pool (in the UK this might actually be termed "birding").

As in -> FA*600/4 + A 1.4X-L + APSc body + Wimberley = Creepy Lens.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-17-2013 at 12:33 PM.