Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After the K-3 there is only one thing that will sell me a new Pentax.... better low light performance.

08-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After the K-3 there is only one thing that will sell me a new Pentax.... better low light performance.
tilt screen would be nice and 4K video...
08-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
tilt screen would be nice and 4K video...
Tilt screen isn't going to happen outside of the compact cameras. Video is just a checkbox feature for Pentax, why would they invest in 4k video? In the US we're at least 5 years from 4k gaining any sort of mainstream acceptance.
08-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Tilt screen isn't going to happen outside of the compact cameras. Video is just a checkbox feature for Pentax, why would they invest in 4k video? In the US we're at least 5 years from 4k gaining any sort of mainstream acceptance.
So you think 645z is compact camera (((:
4k is future proof, the cpu you need for 4k will positively influence still photo of new camera like faster fps and better lowlight performance .

08-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #20
Site Supporter

4k is future proof, the cpu you need for 4k will positively influence still photo of new camera like faster fps and better lowlight performance .
645Z is an outlier, a professional camera intended to compete with professional video cameras. But it doesn't have professional level support

I have doubts about the future of 4K. While it isn't a gimmick like 3D, I think it might get passed over for the next generation of tech. Consumers are happy with 1080p and the networks are heavily invested in 1080p. If 1080p is "good enough" I don't think 4k will be invested in.
08-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I havn't upgraded to K3 from K5 yet, maybe when the price drops more.

What I would like to see:

-new lenses with fast motors to actually get some more speed out of AF, the low light performance is good right now but the lens motor's are lacking.
-hybrid viewfinder, I love this in my X100s
-better iso performance
-improved dynamic range
-improved jpeg engine
-low iso shot stacking for improved iso, my rx100 does this and it works well
-panorama shot stacking, my sony and fuji both do this and it's useful

I have not upgraded to K3 due to the sensor not really being much better other than mp count. AF is improved for low light but not so much speed due to the lenses being slow. Low pass filter is nice but some sharpening in lightroom fixes that pretty quick. I owned a 7d with 17-50 2.8, that lens had a fast motor, pentax needs some of that!

The control scheme on Pentax K7/5/3 is excellent. I don't think I'd want to change the twin wheel system as just about everything can be changes quickly and effectively. That said I'm really loving my x100s old school dials on the top. Something can still be said for tactile feel of switching settings via dials. It's also stone simple to use. I would love to see a camera in the spirit of the Nikon DF or Fuji XT-1 from Pentax. BTW I'm 36 and grew up with wi-fi and internet/cell phones and still like old dials and things, I'm not alone. A touch screen interface is nice but not the ultimate in ergonomics on a camera.
08-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #22
Banned

The Pentax 645Z is not a compact camera with tilt screen . There are many top selling smartphones with 4K video and 4K is on two Panasonic cameras so far with many more coming . In the last quarter there were 2.1 million 4K UHD TVs shipped compared to only 1.6 million in all of 2013 so 4K is going to be mainstream much sooner than 5 years.
08-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #23
Lens Buying Addict

645Z is a tripod camera. Hinged screen is a tripod shooting aid.

I do not believe consumers will buy dSLRs to take selfies. There is an optimized selfie tool already in their pockets. Some idiots, when buying a dSLR anyway, might consider a selfie aid a marginal feature.

WiFi might be useful for transferring image files direct to a platform for PP, but at a slow transfer rate. There is already an optimized technology for file transfer. WiFi certainly has utility for professional production camera tethering. WiFi immediate jpeg transfer to a tablet certainly has professional utility for real-time client viewing of studio session images. WiFi remote camera operation certainly has utility in tripod setups of nervous subjects or where camera location makes controlling the camera physically uncomfortable (even impossible).

These utilities mean hinged LCD's and WiFi needn't be features of consumer dSLR's - they're more likely useful on full professional cameras - something Pentax doesn't really sell. K-3 can be made professionally capable, but that isn't the primary branding.

Pentax's business decision seems to have been to combine the utility of the hinged screen and the WiFi connection into one, optional device - the Flucard for PENTAX. IMHO that is a rational decision. When I buy a Pentax I buy the things that weren't eliminated to allow in-body WiFi and a hinged LCD.

08-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I do not believe consumers will buy dSLRs to take selfies.
So you think tilt screens are only for selfies ? That is too funny.

QuoteQuote:
645Z is a tripod camera.
the 645Z handheld

Last edited by jogiba; 08-31-2014 at 10:02 AM.
08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
So you think tilt screens are only for selfies ? That is too funny.
Tilt screens are for tripods and for uncomfortable shooting positions, sure. We know that. They the modern refconverter.

But this entire argument has been about the LED's and selfies and tilt screens and selfies and WiFi and selfies and entry-level cameras and selfies and X-gen and selfies and how Pentax old men totally missed the selfies.

Do you really think some 22 year old girl walks into BestBuy looking for the perfect dSLR to take selfies?

It's a great CAMERA. TH with the screen and the lights and the WiFi.

Pentax decided, right or wrong, the FluCard combines the utility of a hinged screen and WiFi in one, optional device. That's their decision. If a buyer doesn't like that decision - including all of us - then that buyer knows what to do.
08-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have not used a camera with a tilt screen but I imagine it's nice. I've just got down on the ground all these years. You do get looked at funny sometimes for that.
08-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have doubts about the future of 4K. While it isn't a gimmick like 3D, I think it might get passed over for the next generation of tech. Consumers are happy with 1080p and the networks are heavily invested in 1080p. If 1080p is "good enough" I don't think 4k will be invested in.
3D is gimmick because it needs more effort to make and view; starting from two lenses ending glass to view.
4k is a different thing, you get more detail, you get more room to work in PP, and if end viewer donít have anything to view 4k on itís easily downscales.
P.S. have you seen 4k video on 4k tv in flesh?

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 20:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Tilt screens are for tripods and for uncomfortable shooting positions, sure.
Have you ever shoot from a waist level with LX?
08-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #28
Veteran Member

3D is gimmick because it needs more effort to make and view; starting from two lenses ending glass to view.
4k is a different thing, you get more detail, you get more room to work in PP, and if end viewer don’t have anything to view 4k on it’s easily downscales.
P.S. have you seen 4k video on 4k tv in flesh?

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 20:10 ----------

Have you ever shoot from a waist level with LX?
4k is nice (8mp screen grabs for one!) but probably won't reach critical mass for another 5-10 years. It took 1080p a long time to saturate. People don't like replacing TV's or the processing power it takes to edit that footage. I'm sure it looks amazing though. (My inlaws still don't see the difference from 480 to 1080 though).

I forgot waist shooting with tilt screen, that would also be nice. I do this in crowds or sneaky and you get some good results. Tilt screen would be helpful for that.
08-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

4K will take time to get into homes of average people, but online video streaming services already support 4K. Most youtube channels I follow are producing content in 4K and it looks beautiful.

If you browse similar discussions about 2-3 years back, you will find similar comment as yours, just replace 1080p with 720p.
08-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I concur with this. Maybe a lower ISO (80?), but that's just a bonus.