Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #31
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Have you ever shoot from a waist level with LX?
Yes, I should have included waist-level as a valid use for hinged LCD - but the FF-1 waist-level finder is too small an image to be useful for me so I sold it. If it was as large as a TLR Finder it would be a different story. I kept the FB-1 base / FC-1 (like looking through a picture window) which I can use like the FF-1 if I must, and FD-1 Magni Finder.

I understand that use for a hinged LCD and LiveView and I would use it from time to time, though you must hold the camera away from your body (like the FC-1) so you lose stability. I understand a FluCard and tablet, handheld, won't work for waist-level shooting. A 645Z has a hinged LCD so Ricoh must think there is a legitimate purpose.

I'm just appalled by the selfie fetish criticism. We already have a selfie device that's better for selfies than a dSLR can ever hope to be.

08-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I guess it hasn't occurred to anyone that the FLUcard and iPad are way more flexible and functional than any tilt screen. You can be 10 feet away from your camera if you want.
08-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #33
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess it hasn't occurred to anyone that the FLUcard and iPad are way more flexible and functional than any tilt screen. You can be 10 feet away from your camera if you want.
Are you including me in the 'anyone' group?

As I've posted at least four other places (on threads that for my own sanity I have now added to my Ignore list). That's the business decision Ricoh made.

A FluCard is an optional device that combines most of the utility of a hinged LCD, WiFi, and allows remote control of the camera, without forcing every camera buyer to pay for those features.

I'm good with that.

Anyone who isn't good with that - including any of us - pretty much knows what to do.
08-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Are you including me in the 'anyone' group?

As I've posted at least four other places (on threads that for my own sanity I have now added to my Ignore list). That's the business decision Ricoh made.

A FluCard is an optional device that combines most of the utility of a hinged LCD, WiFi, and allows remote control of the camera, without forcing every camera buyer to pay for those features.

I'm good with that.

Anyone who isn't good with that - including any of us - pretty much knows what to do.
Just for future reference, monochrome is not included in any reference I make to "anyone" being a unique case who must be considered on a case by case basis and not included in such generic terms , as "anyone, everyone, you guys, y'all" or any other such generic terms.

08-31-2014, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #35
Banned

Yes, I should have included waist-level as a valid use for hinged LCD - but the FF-1 waist-level finder is too small an image to be useful for me so I sold it. If it was as large as a TLR Finder it would be a different story. I kept the FB-1 base / FC-1 (like looking through a picture window) which I can use like the FF-1 if I must, and FD-1 Magni Finder.

I understand that use for a hinged LCD and LiveView and I would use it from time to time, though you must hold the camera away from your body (like the FC-1) so you lose stability. I understand a FluCard and tablet, handheld, won't work for waist-level shooting. A 645Z has a hinged LCD so Ricoh must think there is a legitimate purpose.

I'm just appalled by the selfie fetish criticism. We already have a selfie device that's better for selfies than a dSLR can ever hope to be.
I have never seen anyone use a camera with an articulating screen like my GH4 or A7r to take a selfie, so show me a link to cameras like that being used to take selfies or are you just getting your kicks posting that.
08-31-2014, 12:47 PM   #36
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have never seen anyone use a camera with an articulating screen like my GH4 or A7r to take a selfie, so show me a link to cameras like that being used to take selfies or are you just getting your kicks posting that.
You just made exactly my point.

Jeez - I've had to Ignore 5 threads now because I got sick of responding to people who say the hinged LCD has to flip around to the front so they can take a selfie with the K-S1.

It seems RIAC decided to market this as a camera for young people and sell the new interface (Mode Dial on rear) as perfect for users who are accustomed to the SmartPhone interface. As soon as that got out this entire Forum wnet off on the camera because the LCD isn't touch-sensitive, or there isn't WiFi for Instagram or it can't directly connect to the Internet or the flippy LCD should twist around to front-facing for selfies. Therefore Ricoh are idiots because they want to sell this camera to new adopters who will sniff, "I can't do a selfie," so it's going to be a failure.

Well if it's a failure in the USA it will be because RIAC is idiots, not Ricoh.

The LED's are a countdown timer. Pentax made the business and design decision that WiFi is by an accessory card, which also serves most of the function of a hinged LCD. We can argue with that, but it is what it is. I concede and I agree if a 645Z has a use for a hinged LCD, why doesn't a K-3 and a K-S1 - but not for selfies!!
08-31-2014, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Making it a better action/sportscamera....

Well to be honest I don't want the pixeldensity of the K-3. So either a 16mp aps-c or a larger sensor.

I would like improvements:
  • choice between 14-bit and 12-bit RAW (for sports)
  • Faster saving to the card, there is a limitation in the system that isn't coming from the PRIME III engine.
  • Better video codecs, not perse 4k, but a better performance.
  • connectivity to internet
  • I would like the option to choose the framerate, just with the wheel anything from 1fps to 8,3 fps.
  • I would like to enter a voice recording with images.
  • I would like to have an option to give images a * designation, so you can choose to see all great images in just one choice. Out of the few hundred images you select directly the maybe 20 great outstanding images.
  • improved AF is Always welcome (but lenses need to be faster for that)

It is a great camera....But making 1000 images each 32 MB large at a sportsgame is not my cup of thea.
08-31-2014, 04:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
My Canon S1 had a 1.5" (I think) rotating screen and took many, MANY selfies. TBH, if my K-3 had an articulating screen, it would be taking many, MANY selfies on my vacations.

Yes, selfies are a generational thing, and well... lame. But, it is far better than packing a gorilla pod (and hoping no one steals your camera) and packing a tripod for weeks just to pound of 12 photos of oneself in front of various monuments.

-----

Selfie = lame self photo

and

"Do you two want your photo with the Eiffel Tower?" - Thanks mate, I just stole your camera.

I'd rather be lame.

08-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #39
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
My Canon S1 had a 1.5" (I think) rotating screen and took many, MANY selfies. TBH, if my K-3 had an articulating screen, it would be taking many, MANY selfies on my vacations.
Aren't there other devices that are better selfie-makers than a K3 with a flippy screen? IMHO a dSLR is a device built to take photos from the rear.
08-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Aren't there other devices that are better selfie-makers than a K3 with a flippy screen? IMHO a dSLR is a device built to take photos from the rear.
Yes, you are correct. I can't argue that, but if the K-3 had a flippy screen, in one way Ricoh would expect someone to take selfies. I guess it is like saying a sledge hammer can tap nails, but is clearly designed not to (but some users will).