Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K3 mark II ?

Do you think there will be K3 mark II, or will there be new model with another name?
What would you like to see added and improved in K3 mark II?

12-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K-3 is a pretty promising camera, though I don't have one . I think you will mostly get replies about the general things, like ISO 80, improved video controls and codecs, uncrippled K mount, swivel/tiltable screen..
12-17-2013, 03:39 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I wish they made the K-3 in two models.

K-3 (as we know it)
K-3x (using same sensor as the K-5 IIs).

Same tech 100% - the only difference is the sensor (16mpx vs 24mpx).

Using rough calculations, the buffer would allow for 12.5 fps at 16 mpx for the same continuous 23 RAW before hiccups come in. It would be the D4/D800E of the APS-C world. One for insanely fast FPS and low light ability, and the other for landscape/resolution.

-Heie
12-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #4

Hybrid VF would certainly be cool. Another cool thing would be the adding together of multiple fast exposures to create one slow, partially emulating very low ISO for tripod use. Kodak used to do this, but I haven't seen it since.

Could use the sensor shake to stitch multiple exposures to either double the resolution (2 shots, shift .5 pixels X and Y between them) or simulate larger sensor (with 4 shots), or both. Again for tripod use.

Yes to the lower res sensor as an option. Would make a killer action camera. I'm not sold on the whole tilt screen idea though. Feels like I would break it.

12-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My only wishes for any K-3II would be some simple ergonomic adjustments:

- get the metering mode switch (matrix/centre-weighted/spot) back on the top left of the camera, like the K-5. The current K-3 dial-lock switch thing that replaced the K-5 switch adds nothing of practical value;

- re-work the AF mode button and switch, and the whole general K-3 arrangement for selecting AF shooting modes, and focus points. It is too complicated to manage while shooting on-the-go, in the dark, trying to choose options quickly. I feel like I need 4 hands and 8 eyes to cope.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Good idea. The fps, and general camera responsiveness, would be out of this world. Great for gig, wildlife and sports shooters.

Plus since they already have plenty of K-5IIs sensors in the spare-parts bin, a K-3x might also be a bit cheaper than a standard K-3.
12-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I dont own a K-3 but certainly it will be nice for pentax to start having tilting screens.
12-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

k3x perfect
to complete this marvel is missing a new version of the 16 MP sensor
now is whether the sony would do this

12-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willeisner Quote
k3x perfect
to complete this marvel is missing a new version of the 16 MP sensor
now is whether the sony would do this
That can be done entirely in firmware. The K-3's sensor does nothing less than the lower resolution K5iiS sensor. The increased noise is only apparent when you crop 100% which is actually magnifying the image if you want to compare like with like. A K-3 image scaled down to 16MP will be no more noisy than a K-5ii image at its native resolution. In addition the K-3 image will be less likely to suffer from moire even with the moire filter turned off.

It will also give a higher chroma resolution than the native 16MP image because there is more colour information available for each output pixel.

The matter of FPS is not dependant on the volume of data generated by the sensor but the mechanical constraints of the shutter and mirror mechanisms.

What is dependant on the volume of data is how quickly the buffer fills up. That however would also be addressed by scaling down. The only 'ugly' thing about it is that there would need to be some sort of 'half cooked' raw, which would be a scaled down (in resolution) file which apart form the scaling would attempt to remain as faithful as possible a representation of what the sensor could see.

This is of course all theoretical but I think if someone could try comparing images shot under the exact same conditions this should also be seen in practice. The scaling would of course need to be done correctly to avoid degrading the image. I would try it myself but I don't have a K-5.
12-17-2013, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How about a K-3v with advanced functions specific to video and a K-3s with all that video stuff stripped off?

Steve
08-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I wish they made the K-3 in two models.

K-3 (as we know it)

Same tech 100% - the only difference is the sensor (16mpx vs 24mpx).

Using rough calculations, the buffer would allow for 12.5 fps at 16 mpx for the same continuous 23 RAW before hiccups come in. It would be the D4/D800E of the APS-C world. One for insanely fast FPS and low light ability, and the other for landscape/resolution.

-Heie
Why not a K-3x with a much larger buffer instead? memory gets cheaper every day... they should reflect that in the buffer size.
08-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hoping for (or rather dreaming of) a K-3z to be shipped concurrently with the K-3 and featuring a hybrid viewfinder and tilting LCD...
08-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So far I love the camera .. I think that a k3x with tilt screen will just make it look cheap.. Or at least every camera with a tilt screen its just a "hobbie" camera ...

Perhaps it will be nice to have improvements with the flu card..
08-30-2014, 03:08 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt there will be a K3 II any time soon -- maybe not at all. Pentax doesn't have a history of Mk II products (K5 was an exception that was during the transition from Hoya to Ricoh and it was more of a place holder during the K3 development period). The big thing that needs to be improved on the K3 is the video. Not that I use it much at all, but it is what seems to draw the most ire from those who do use it. Seems as though it wouldn't be that hard to get a decent video codec. Could even be done through a firmware update on current cameras.
08-30-2014, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Or at least every camera with a tilt screen its just a "hobbie" camera ...
Yeah, like that 645z - it's for amateurs.
08-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
Another cool thing would be the adding together of multiple fast exposures to create one slow, partially emulating very low ISO for tripod use.
You mean multiple exposure mode? My k5 has it, I'm sure the k3 does, too.
K5 multiple exposure modes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review