Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

need a charger in san francisco

So im in fresno right now on a road trip to San Francisco from las Vegas, and just realized I left my charger home... Im bummed since I was expecting to take lost if pics in San Fran. Its there a place I can buy one in San Fran. I'm staying at union square area. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!!

12-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Original Poster
I'll be there for 3 days. Could my k01 with full charge right now last me enough lol
12-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't you have an AA adapter with your? You can buy AA batteries from just about anywhere.

If not I would suggest to turn on the camera for as little time as possible as in switch on compose shoot switch off. Although battery life is often quoted in terms of shots keeping the camera on without shooting can eat a lot into the battery, especially with a mirrorless where the CCD is practically shooting all the time.

In an SLR this is a little less so because on the one hand the CCD and processor is not doing much in standby and on the other hand because the mirror lift mechanism consumes quite a significant amount of energy in each shot.
12-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

When are you coming?

I don't live in the city itself - a bit south of it, and getting into Union Square wouldn't be easy for me.

That having been said, I do have a spare charger I could loan you, and if you are driving through Oakland on the way to SF tomorrow or later in the week, you could stop at my place of employment (freeway convenient, near OAK airport and the Coliseum/Arena complex) and I could hand it off to you.

Unfortunately I don't have it with me today, so tomorrow is the first possibility. PM me if you think this might work.

12-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
When are you coming?

I don't live in the city itself - a bit south of it, and getting into Union Square wouldn't be easy for me.

That having been said, I do have a spare charger I could loan you, and if you are driving through Oakland on the way to SF tomorrow or later in the week, you could stop at my place of employment (freeway convenient, near OAK airport and the Coliseum/Arena complex) and I could hand it off to you.

Unfortunately I don't have it with me today, so tomorrow is the first possibility. PM me if you think this might work.
My boyfriend is the one driving and we don't really have much idea of the area. I will give you $50 if you can bring me the charger to Nikko hotel tomorrow.. that'd be great haha
12-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sorry, I'm not going to make it into the city tomorrow. It's not about the money!

There are a few reasonably sized camera shops in town, Calumet, Samy's, Adolph Gasser, etc. You might try calling around.

And through Amazon, you can buy the Wasabi Power pack that includes a charger and two (sub-par, in my experience, but OK for short-term use) batteries for less than $50, including overnight delivery.
12-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
in case you haven't found a solution yet, I have a charger I could lend. Am in Brentwood (east contra costa county), but may be coming into the city wed evening to shoot sunset. PM if you want to try to make that work.

12-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #8

I work in SF and live in Oakland. I could meet you tomorrow with one to borrow, if you still haven't found a solution yet. You could also stop by Oakland tonight.
12-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might be able to get something from Samy's. Here in SoCal, they don't have much - but if they have a demo, you might be able to charge.
12-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another reason to rely on AA battery technology rather then a proprietary battery system, especially on a trip. Of course, that leaves out the K-01.
12-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Another reason to rely on AA battery technology rather then a proprietary battery system, especially on a trip. Of course, that leaves out the K-01.
And most disappointingly the K-3.

PS: Doesn't the K-01 us same battery as K-30, and if so wouldn't it be able to use the same AA-adapter?
12-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
D-BG5 comes with the 6-AA carrier.

As for the K-30, no. The K-01 uses the D-Li90, same as the K-7/5/3/645D.