Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asahi started out making eyeglasses as I recall. The company has never been controlled by the camera division, always a smaller part of something else.

12-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
the last pure Pentax camera
That would be hard to determine since Pentax (even in the last couple of decades) collaborated extensively with other entities in its product development and also has a long tradition of using a significant number of off-the-shelf components. Good examples might be shutters and of course, sensors. Current Pentax shutters are spec'd versions of a Seiko product. The sensors are Sony products. (Yep, Sony...the competition...also used by Nikon...).

Going back a few years, there were strong rumors of collaboration between Pentax and Ricoh (yes, that Ricoh) in regards to early K-mount and electronically controlled camera development in the mid-1970s into the early 1980s. And of course, there is the K-mount itself which was designed in collaboration with Zeiss.

If you want a pre-Hoya benchmark, I would suggest the list supplied by boriscleto above.

Steve
12-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would suggest the list supplied by boriscleto above.

Steve

Err. List above? Not seeing it!
12-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
"The name "Pentax" was originally a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon (from "Pentaprism" and "Contax") but, as all Germans patents were annulled with the country's defeat, the name "Pentax" was taken by the Asahi Optical company in 1957"
I have seen this phrase quoted extensively, but it has always puzzled me. If the trademark was held by VEB Zeiss Ikon (post-war Dresden entity), what would pre-war patents have to do with anything. It was my understanding that the name was simply ceded by Zeiss to Asahi since Zeiss had been producing pentaprism SLR cameras under the Contax name since 1949.

FWIW. The Zeiss historians indicate that the original proposed name for the SLR camera was "Syntax" derived from "Spiegel-Contax" (Mirror Contax).

Steve

12-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Err. List above? Not seeing it!
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That would be a Hoya camera...

So, the Jan. 2008 cameras are the last "pure" Pentax cameras...

K20D, K200D, Optio E50, M50, S12
The very first reply to your inquiry.

Steve
12-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Is it a "pure" Pentax if the shutter is made by Seiko or the sensor by Kodak or Sony or whoever?
12-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
Pentaxian

You know, there are rumours that most P&S from all brands are actually made by subcontractors, they just put them in different shells with different logos to sell them as "Nikon" or whatever. And the other problem is that Pentax also trades with other brands - some lens designs for example were made by Pentax and sold to other brands, and Pentax also bought some lens designs. Some were collaborations.
I'm sorry there is no definitive answer for your question, OP. That is what we (or at least I) wanted to make clear. I personally see Pentax as a company with certain tradition and philosophy. I think the K-3 is all Pentax because it is part of the tradition (button placement, features, shape and size) and follows the philosophy (compact package, powerful features, high IQ, but not sacrificing everything just to get the best test results/reviews). Of course, these things evolve over time.

Oh, and I see Pentax as being different also by the community. I find the PF and Pentaxians to be a little different from Canikoners. Of course, we have our own faults, like being overly defensive on (or bored with) some topics. Sorry if I came off as rude
12-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Sorry if I came off as rude
Ditto!

Steve

12-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is it a "pure" Pentax if the shutter is made by Seiko or the sensor by Kodak or Sony or whoever?
If not, then I guess we have to go back several decades.

Steve
12-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was going to pull a Ricoh full frame baby wailing rant just for the fun of it, but hey I'm feeling kinda friendly tonight!!

If you are looking for something purely Pentax, you should look at the K-mount. Really the one thing that is different than everyone else. Beyond that all brands have progressed along similar lines. Borrowing good ideas from each other, and more recently using much of the same components.

Now If you want I can still stomp, scream and throw my toys!!
12-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Asahi started out making eyeglasses as I recall. The company has never been controlled by the camera division, always a smaller part of something else.
Yep, then they made projection lenses and camera lenses for other camera companies during the first Japanese camera craze in the 1930s.
12-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I was going to pull a Ricoh full frame baby wailing rant just for the fun of it, but hey I'm feeling kinda friendly tonight!!
Throw in a 'crippled' mount rant for the trifecta....
12-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok. For the record (since no one seems to want to answer the question directly), I own a Pentax ist DL2 and a Pentax ist DS that both say Pentax on the front, Pentax on the rear and Pentax twice on the little plate on the bottom. Neither have any inscription anywhere that says Asahi (though they were the original Pentax), Hoya, or Ricoh (which came somewhat later.) I am not sure if these were the only two, there may have been others in this same time period.
12-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Ok. For the record (since no one seems to want to answer the question directly), I own a Pentax ist DL2 and a Pentax ist DS that both say Pentax on the front, Pentax on the rear and Pentax twice on the little plate on the bottom. Neither have any inscription anywhere that says Asahi (though they were the original Pentax), Hoya, or Ricoh (which came somewhat later.) I am not sure if these were the only two, there may have been others in this same time period.
Ditto for the K10D and its contemporaries and I think the K20D and its stablemates.

Steve
12-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ditto for the K10D and its contemporaries and I think the K20D and its stablemates.

Steve
Yep - I just looked.