Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Last Pure Pentax

If Ricoh acquired Pentax in July 2011, does that make the RZ18 the very last pure Pentax camera?

Thx

12-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That would be a Hoya camera...

QuoteQuote:
Hoya discussed a merger with Pentax into Hoya Pentax HD Corporation during 2007. Hoya's primary goal was to strengthen its medical-related business by taking advantage of Pentax's technologies and expertise in the field of endoscopes, intraocular lenses, surgical loupes, biocompatible ceramics, etc. It was speculated that Pentax's camera business could be sold off after the merger. The merger was initially intended to be completed by October 1, 2007.[10] However, Pentax management decided to not pursue the originally planned share swap, and other options for a merger were discussed.[11] On May 25, the Pentax board of directors accepted Hoya's offer for a merger.[12] On August 6, 2007, Hoya completed a friendly takeover bid for Pentax and acquired 90.59% of the company.[13] On October 29, 2007, Hoya and Pentax announced that Pentax, as the company ceasing to exist, will merge with and into Hoya on March 31, 2008.[14] Hoya will retain the Pentax brand name and reports $2,927.3 (mil) in sales.

The acquired Pentax surveying instrument business (currently IT Asahi Co., Ltd.) and camera business (now Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd.) were sold to Taiwan Instrument Co., Ltd. in 2009 and Ricoh Co., Ltd. in 2011, respectively.
So, the Jan. 2008 cameras are the last "pure" Pentax cameras...

K20D, K200D, Optio E50, M50, S12
12-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All cameras that say "Pentax" on the front are pure Pentax cameras, even though Pentax was always owned by one or another company.
12-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That would be a Hoya camera...

Okay. But the way I understand it, HOYA owned Pentax but Pentax still made its own products. Ricoh however I've read is said to be blending design aspects of its line with the Pentax line, or is planning to do so.

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-17-2013 at 04:55 PM.
12-17-2013, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Apparently Hoya mostly wanted some Pentax patents for medical optics (Pentax also makes optics for scopes, medical instruments, etc., not just cameras) and did not care much about Pentax. So there is some freedom in being ignored, but Pentax didn't get much funding, and had to fire some key employees.
Ricoh is taking more interest, which might mean less "freedom" but will probably mean a lot more funds and better overall products. Pentax getting some help from Ricoh is not a bad thing, Ricoh is a big company and has experience with electronics and design, things where Pentax might be lacking so far. Pentax is still making its own products. Their factories and employees still exist. Its not like Ricoh bought the name and fired everyone. In fact, Ricoh stated that the Pentax name will be used for DSLRs in the future.
But we will have to wait and see what gets announced after the K-3.
12-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm trying hard (and failing) to see what difference it makes. Just like I'm having a hard time understanding why some people are upset by the fact the K-3 says Ricoh on the back. If there was an issue with failing quality, I could understand it, but there isn't. In fact, the K-3 is a better camera than the K-5 (which in itself was a good camera). So long as the camera's continue to improve, what does it matter?

BTW: Thread moved to the proper area.
12-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'm trying hard (and failing) to see what difference it makes. Just like I'm having a hard time understanding why some people are upset by the fact the K-3 says Ricoh on the back. If there was an issue with failing quality, I could understand it, but there isn't. In fact, the K-3 is a better camera than the K-5 (which in itself was a good camera). So long as the camera's continue to improve, what does it matter?

BTW: Thread moved to the proper area.

It's really just a matter of trivia to me. No judgment implied. What is the last pure, stand-alone Pentax design? That's it.

And maybe it didn't turn out to be a DSLR, I'm thinking. Heck! Maybe it's a film camera?

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-17-2013 at 05:31 PM.
12-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
What is the last pure stand-alone Pentax design?
lol None, Pentax never "stood alone." Really, its not like Pentax was free and now its a slave. It always had corporate masters. "Pentax" is just a name. Read the Wikipedia: "The name "Pentax" was originally a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon (from "Pentaprism" and "Contax") but, as all Germans patents were annulled with the country's defeat, the name "Pentax" was taken by the Asahi Optical company in 1957" - "The corporation is best known for its "Pentax" brand cameras, starting with the pivotal "Asahi Pentax" single-lens reflex camera of 1957, which followed Asahi's first series of cameras, the Asahiflex of 1952. The success of the Pentax series was such that the business eventually renamed itself "Pentax Corporation" after the product."

And btw, even the K-3, I think, was mostly planned while the company was still under Hoya. Ricoh has not yet shown its cards.
12-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Pentax was always owned by one or another company
Oh, you mean the Pentax brand name or Pentax the corporation which owned the Pentax brand before it merged with the Hoya corporation who still owns the Pentax brand. Or do you mean the Pentax line of cameras or maybe the Pentax line of lenses or the Pentax line of scopes or the Pentax line of binoculars or the Pentax line of medical equipment? Or perhaps Pentax Medical (maker of endoscopes), the direct corporate descendent of the late Pentax Corporation who owned the Pentax brand which was applied to the Pentax line of cameras and the other Pentax lines (see preceding)?

Really, this is truly getting tedious.

Steve
12-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What is the last pure, stand-alone Pentax design? That's it.

Define Pentax and you will get your answer.

Steve
12-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I kinda was thinking the answer would be relatively straight-forward! Like maybe there is no actual Ricoh "DNA" in the K-3?

I mean, I was just thinking as a new fan I might want to own a copy of the last pure Pentax camera. That's it. Whatever it is. Maybe it doesn't exist yet. Maybe it never was, but mistakenly I assumed so, because I didn't know the company's history. And I didn't know about all its other products like medical cameras and stuff. I dunno. But sure wasn't meant to anger everyone! Grrrrr!
12-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Like maybe there is no actual Ricoh "DNA" in the K-3?
There is definitely some Rioch in it, the multi-pattern white balance is from the Ricoh cameras. Just like the Rioch GR got a few unique Pentax features.
12-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Define Pentax and you will get your answer.

Steve
And eyeglass lenses, pre-Seiko. I have two
12-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fortunately my ignorance amuses me! Sorry guys! Didn't know my question would delve into a touchy subject around here!
12-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I kinda was thinking the answer would be relatively straight-forward! Like maybe there is no actual Ricoh "DNA" in the K-3?

I mean, I was just thinking as a new fan I might want to own a copy of the last pure Pentax camera. That's it. Whatever it is. Maybe it doesn't exist yet. Maybe it never was, but mistakenly I assumed so, because I didn't know the company's history. And I didn't know about all its other products like medical cameras and stuff. I dunno. But sure wasn't meant to anger everyone! Grrrrr!
Nah - you're cool. It's a legitimate question to one who isn't intimately familiar with the history. We kind of get frustrated answering it every couple weeks is all, and right now there's this whole meme about how Ricoh on the LCD means a K3 isn't really a Pentax camera (which is wrong, IMHO).

Frankly, I'm bordering on a Pentax fanboi and even I had some thoughts about going Nikon - but Ricoh actually inspires some confidence that the brand will stay around. If they want to remind me every time I chimp or use the Menu - OK, I can deal with that. I kind of like it, actually.

The answer to your question is subjective anyway.