Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
Seasons Greetings, all!

My K-5 (with my 40mm Limited lens on it) was stolen out of my apartment by a relative I tried to help. Stupid them tried to deny it even though they were the only other person here (this is your brain on drugs - I didn't know they were using). Stupid me didn't have renter's insurance (I do now!). Yes, a police report was filed.

I want to replace my K-5 even if I have to go a little in debt to do it. Just on GP (general principle) if nothing else, to send the message that they didn't "stop no show". A part of me feels like I'm being petty. The larger part of me feels justified. The devil on my shoulder wants me to drop kick them in the throat and then do that Bruce Lee foot twist thing. Seriously. But, of course, violence is not a valid option. I just cut them out of my life completely.

As you see, I'm conflicted. Should I go into minor debt to replace my K-5 with another one or a K-5 II? I totally can't afford a K-3. A K-30, K-50, or K-500 would be taking a step backwards, I feel like. Do I need the K-5/K5 II? No. I have a perfectly fine K10D. But, I didn't need the K-5 when I bought it almost a year ago, either. I bought it because I could and because I wanted more megapixels so I could get bigger prints.

Does it matter that I don't do any photography these days because I've been constantly sick all year (I have lupus)? Not to me. I feel violated and I want to feel un-violated (sorry about the grammar), and I want to shove it in my relative's face that I was able to replace what they took. I'm just being honest, guys. I'm usually level-headed, especially when it comes to money matters. I'm also usually thrifty; one of my aunts told me I could squeeze the brown off a penny. Everyone else agrees. That's why I feel justified even though the idea of going into debt to replace my K-5 makes me somewhat uneasy, even if it's only a couple/few hundred dollars.

I need more brains on this than mine. I'm not asking family or friends because they're offended for me too, especially since it's a family member who did it. It's personal, and they may not (probably won't) be as rational as you guys. Thanks in advance. Please don't flame me.
Very sorry to hear you have Lupus. I have two cousins who have had the same problem. They have both made a good recovery and are now back to living normal lives, so hopefully so should you sooner rather than later.

If you have had to put serious photoraphy aside for the time being, then patience is a virtue. Use the time to put a litle more in the bank and go for the K5ii, which seems to be all the camera you need for the forseeable future. In the long run it will probably give you more satisfaction. the K50 also has its merits It is also lighter than the K5ii and better specified than the K30. In the mean time get out the compact or smart phone if you are lucky to have either and keep clicking away and share the results. Photographic Magazines are always telling us that there a great many good pictures close to home. Look at these from a camera club member - View from my Window Project - Queen's Park Camera Club. Mind you he does have a window with an elevated view of the River Clyde in Strathclyde in Scotland.....lucky so and so! I have also had debiltating health problems over the last 2 years, now thankfully disappearing. My compact kept me going.