Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Purchase Advice Needed

Seasons Greetings, all!

My K-5 (with my 40mm Limited lens on it) was stolen out of my apartment by a relative I tried to help. Stupid them tried to deny it even though they were the only other person here (this is your brain on drugs - I didn't know they were using). Stupid me didn't have renter's insurance (I do now!). Yes, a police report was filed.

I want to replace my K-5 even if I have to go a little in debt to do it. Just on GP (general principle) if nothing else, to send the message that they didn't "stop no show". A part of me feels like I'm being petty. The larger part of me feels justified. The devil on my shoulder wants me to drop kick them in the throat and then do that Bruce Lee foot twist thing. Seriously. But, of course, violence is not a valid option. I just cut them out of my life completely.

As you see, I'm conflicted. Should I go into minor debt to replace my K-5 with another one or a K-5 II? I totally can't afford a K-3. A K-30, K-50, or K-500 would be taking a step backwards, I feel like. Do I need the K-5/K5 II? No. I have a perfectly fine K10D. But, I didn't need the K-5 when I bought it almost a year ago, either. I bought it because I could and because I wanted more megapixels so I could get bigger prints.

Does it matter that I don't do any photography these days because I've been constantly sick all year (I have lupus)? Not to me. I feel violated and I want to feel un-violated (sorry about the grammar), and I want to shove it in my relative's face that I was able to replace what they took. I'm just being honest, guys. I'm usually level-headed, especially when it comes to money matters. I'm also usually thrifty; one of my aunts told me I could squeeze the brown off a penny. Everyone else agrees. That's why I feel justified even though the idea of going into debt to replace my K-5 makes me somewhat uneasy, even if it's only a couple/few hundred dollars.

I need more brains on this than mine. I'm not asking family or friends because they're offended for me too, especially since it's a family member who did it. It's personal, and they may not (probably won't) be as rational as you guys. Thanks in advance. Please don't flame me.

12-18-2013, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pay Twice?

Hello NiftyFifty,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and it's really more difficult that it turned out to be a family member.
But going into debt is overreacting, the thief is forcing you to pay twice for the same crime. Once is enough.
Feeling violated, anger and a wish for revenge/payback/justice are all normal reactions. But those will fade as time goes by, and you'll recover from the loss, wiser and perhaps more cautious. You don't have to add 'poorer' to the list, at least not yet!
If you had no other camera, I'd say a new one was the right response (this is a camera forum, after all!), but you can re-acquaint yourself with the K10D, wait a bit and perhaps something will happen that turns this loss into a positive. If not, a bit more time to save for an even-newer K-3 isn't the worst outcome!
Don't act out of reaction and anger. Calm down, face the loss and betrayal, and move on with your life.
JMO, good luck!
Ron
12-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A K-30 is really not much of a step backwards, except for the housing and LCD. You will gain focus peaking and faster live view focusing. Win some, lose some, but you will save quite a bit of money.

As far as money advice, you shouldn't spend what you don't have in your hand unless it's for food. You should save first, buy later.
12-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My aunt used to tell me: "Living well is the best revenge". So, I'd say, replace the camera. Keep an eye on the marketplace here for something affordable--both the K-5 and the K-5ii show up here from time to time.

12-18-2013, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello NiftyFifty,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and it's really more difficult that it turned out to be a family member.
But going into debt is overreacting, the thief is forcing you to pay twice for the same crime. Once is enough.
Feeling violated, anger and a wish for revenge/payback/justice are all normal reactions. But those will fade as time goes by, and you'll recover from the loss, wiser and perhaps more cautious. You don't have to add 'poorer' to the list, at least not yet!
If you had no other camera, I'd say a new one was the right response (this is a camera forum, after all!), but you can re-acquaint yourself with the K10D, wait a bit and perhaps something will happen that turns this loss into a positive. If not, a bit more time to save for an even-newer K-3 isn't the worst outcome!
Don't act out of reaction and anger. Calm down, face the loss and betrayal, and move on with your life.
JMO, good luck!
Ron
I know you're right. I've told myself the same thing about the K10D a bunch of times, and I didn't even think about the paying twice for the same crime (thanks). But, I'm really having a hard time. And, it doesn't help that I want to throw myself in the floor like a 5 year old and have a hissy fit of epic proportions. Thank you.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
A K-30 is really not much of a step backwards, except for the housing and LCD. You will gain focus peaking and faster live view focusing. Win some, lose some, but you will save quite a bit of money.

As far as money advice, you shouldn't spend what you don't have in your hand unless it's for food. You should save first, buy later.
I'll look more into the K-30. I actually do have the money, but a new K-5/K-5 II would cut into my "cushion" more than I would feel comfy with. I maybe should have been more clear, even if the ultimate outcome is the same. Thank you.
12-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
My aunt used to tell me: "Living well is the best revenge". So, I'd say, replace the camera. Keep an eye on the marketplace here for something affordable--both the K-5 and the K-5ii show up here from time to time.
I'm going to avoid busting my budget and going into debt. I think I can replace my K-5 with a new K-30 or a used, in excellent or better condition, K-50 without going into debt. I'll buy from some place like KEH, Adorama, B&H, et al most likely. Thanks for replying.
12-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Nifty.
Have you considered selling K10? I could be the difference between eating and not eating while still being able to replace the stolen K5.

12-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Hi Nifty.
Have you considered selling K10? I could be the difference between eating and not eating while still being able to replace the stolen K5.
I thought about it, but decided to keep it as a backup because people keep offering me money to do photo shoots, LOL. When my health stabilizes I'm going to start taking them up on the offers. Thank you for replying.
12-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Bad relatives. Ugh. Did you visit your nearest pawn-shop to see if the camera had turned up there?

There seem to be many used K-5's around at the moment. Maybe that would be cheaper than a new K-30.

Anyhow, all the best.
12-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

When I was a student, my road racing bike was stolen. I had a "pretty good idea" who had pinched it also... I couldn't afford to replace it with an equal bike, but I did replace it immediately, with the cheapest bike in the shop. Reason being, cycling every day is part of who I am. No bike = no me.

If photography is part of who you are, even if you can't shoot as often as you want, then you need a camera. How you pay for it is a another issue…

Consider selling a few "gritty urban realist" photos of drug users being kicked out on the street.
Maybe stick a "wanted k5 for X dollars" ad in the pentaxforums marketplace - someone may sell to you at your wanted price. You never know.
12-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

… and another thought - with prior knowledge that your relative was a thief and drug user, how much would have paid to have them removed from your life and house?
Perhaps more than what your camera and DA40 was worth? In which case, you're actually in front!
12-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, check the pawn shops first. You may find your camera.

Second, watch the Marketplace for a used K5 if you want one - you can get it for about $500 now.
12-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #13

Original Poster
The police have some kind of tie-in to the databases of all the pawn shops in the city. If my camera was pawned it would automatically be flagged when the serial number was put in the pawn shop's system. The theft happened a few months ago (I'm just still angry) and so far nothing from the pawn shops.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Bad relatives. Ugh. Did you visit your nearest pawn-shop to see if the camera had turned up there?

There seem to be many used K-5's around at the moment. Maybe that would be cheaper than a new K-30.

Anyhow, all the best.
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yeah, check the pawn shops first. You may find your camera.

Second, watch the Marketplace for a used K5 if you want one - you can get it for about $500 now.
12-19-2013, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I agree with rbefly that allowing the thief to push you into doing something you aren't comfortable with (debt) you are allowing them to mess with you twice. Since you have a camera to shoot with now, I would wait to get a new camera to avoid debt, but aggressively start saving for the new one which may help you feel like you are doing something about it NOW.

Dunno if your family celebrates Christmas and it's awfully late, but you could certainly drop hints that a gift certificate to your favorite camera store would be your favorite gift and every bit would help you get closer to your replacement.
12-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #15

Original Poster
I decided to wait. Anything I want or need to do I can do with my K10D. It's perfectly fine. I've had it since 2009 and I don't think it even has 10,000 actuations on it. Thanks for replying!

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I agree with rbefly that allowing the thief to push you into doing something you aren't comfortable with (debt) you are allowing them to mess with you twice. Since you have a camera to shoot with now, I would wait to get a new camera to avoid debt, but aggressively start saving for the new one which may help you feel like you are doing something about it NOW.

Dunno if your family celebrates Christmas and it's awfully late, but you could certainly drop hints that a gift certificate to your favorite camera store would be your favorite gift and every bit would help you get closer to your replacement.