Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax K20D - Another approach to take pictures of flowers.

Hi Pentaxians and friends,

It seems that everybody likes to photograph flowers. I'm not the biggest fan of flower pictures, but a few weeks ago, I saw an article about this woman that was taking pictures of flowers at night. I believe she started at the Montreal botanical garden. If I remember correctly, she now has a book out.

Anyway, from the little I know about her techniques, I understand that she uses a flashlight to illuminate the flowers. So tonight, I stopped at the grocery store and purchased a few flowers. I needed to get some flowers for my wife anyway, so that she would forgive me for what I have done or didn't do. I don't know what I've done wrong, but she must know! You know...more flowers = more lenses.

After giving her the flowers, maybe an hour later, I told her I would take photographs of her flowers. I used a flashlight and attached it to one tripod. I got my K20D, used the 70mm limited with a +2 close-up filter (I don't have an AF macro lens yet). With the camera on a tripod as well and with a remote shutter release, I turned all the lights off and use the flashlight only.

I took several shots and the results above are some of the shots that I got. I do like the the way it brings the flowers out. I can imagine what kind of results can be achieved with fresh cut flowers and with several kind of flowers, all with different colors.

Of course, the typical water droplets to simulate morning dew are from spraying water on the flowers. It's not completely natural, but everybody does it. You actually cannot imitate nature perfectly as morning dew water droplets are much smaller and typically coats the entire flower with a light film of water.

Try it, I think it does give good results. I spent about 15 minutes to photograph the flowers and about two hours converting the files from RAW to JPEG and writing this blog. I bet if someone devotes an entire evening at it, some awesome shots will emerge. I'd like to see yours too on this thread.

Best Regards,

Come visit me and say Hi.

Yvon Bourque - Pentax DSLRs

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 05-31-2008 at 08:44 PM.
04-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #2

Great results... painting with light is fun
04-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great shots, well done... where did you have your flashpositioned?
04-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
oooo . . .I like the rose, very nice. Wish I had the creative bent to do this sort of thing. . so many good photographers out there who see things I don't . . yet (maybe)

04-07-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Neat look. Like the first shot a lot. Never thought of light painting flowers. Another thing on the list to try.
thanks
barondla
04-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #6

Very nice! I like the black background. Do you know what is different with flowers at night? I thought that many close their petals. Do you have a link to the photographer you mention?

The flash light appears very 'hard' at times - you should try a diffusor or just use a selfmade reflector out of paper.
04-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
great shots, well done... where did you have your flashpositioned?
Though he says flash light, this is American for torch.
04-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Though he says flash light, this is American for torch.
Torches to Americans have actual flames, our flashlights are battery operated and look like this:

Isn't English fun?

04-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #9

Yea, well... our strobes only fire once, too
04-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree with chse that you might consider using a diffuser to get softer transitions to shadows.
04-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
I agree with chse that you might consider using a diffuser to get softer transitions to shadows.
I agree as well. If you read my post, I spent about 15 minutes trying this technique with a flashlight pretty much similar to the green one posted a few replies above. The point is that you shouldn't use the camera flash as it would be a little too powerful. You need a small light source with a narrow beam. You want the flower or adjacent flowers to get light. You don't want the background lighted as you want it dark. I actually took some more shots the following night and used a tissue paper in fromt of the flashlight. It did indeed softened the shadows, but, I'm not sure that the results were as dramatic. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Thank you for your comments, and best Regards,

Yvon bourque
04-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #12

Nice shots Yvon.

How long was your shutter open while you were painting ???
04-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OttawaPhotog Quote
Nice shots Yvon.

How long was your shutter open while you were painting ???
All shots were about 30 seconds to about 2 minutes in length, depending on how the lighting was hitting the flowers. Note that all pictures were taken with a very small aperture as I wanted as much depth of field as possible, being in macro shooting
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #14

i happened to put fresh batteries in my mag light before i noticed your posting, and think I might have to give it a try...... !!!! Not with Flowers though.... stay tuned !
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Kinda like putting flowers in a light-box, a very creative technique.