Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 1, Nikon 0

Santa brought me a new hood for my 55-300 (official Pentax PH-RBG), and a Hoya circular polarizer. Had to go out today to play with both... and I very much like the little access hatch in the hood that allows me to rotate the polarizer easily. The hood for my 18-55 has this access hatch, too.

Not so the hoods on Ron's Nikkor lenses (official Nikon hoods, mind). No access hatches at all, not on any hood for any lens at any price. "Geez, I wish my hood had that...sure beats sticking my fingers down inside there to turn the filter!"

12-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Amazing. I guess we take so much for granted!
12-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Pentax, heh heh.

I started to wonder whether any other brands have such an access window - neither of my Sigma or Tamron lenses has this neat feature.

I found that Pentax was granted a Patent in 2000:

Patent US6104887 - Lens hood - Google Patents

- Craig
12-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting... I never knew that or really even thought about it.

Guess many of us have been taking that for granted.

12-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great invention but it would never have crossed my mind that such a simple thing would be patentable!

I think an improvement they ought to develop (and perhaps patent as well) would be to have a little tether to prevent the cover from getting lost, or even better have it hinged instead of being removable. I once spent two hours searching for it after dropping it into the undergrowth.
12-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know, right? I never thought about it, either, but had a hands-on demo yesterday. In my ignorance I once wondered if the "tulip" hoods were designed to allow access to a polarizer (and this, I confess, was on a Pentax hood with the hatch, before I quite understood the rig and discovered the hatch). But it's a terrific little bonus, no mistake! With the ancient rubber hoods, you could flatten them and get access to the polarizer while looking through the viewfinder, but it was still fiddly.

I agree with you, @lister, regarding a hinge or tether. Anticipating issues with such a small part going astray, I removed the hatch cover and placed it in the camera bag for the duration. Replaced it later when we were packing up to head home.

Patented by Pentax! LOL!
12-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I think an improvement they ought to develop (and perhaps patent as well) would be to have a little tether to prevent the cover from getting lost, or even better have it hinged instead of being removable. I once spent two hours searching for it after dropping it into the undergrowth.
I removed all of mine after receiving the lenses, and never put them back on. There is no need, really.
12-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Prior to these new tulip style lens hoods, all Pentax hoods attached to the filter either by clip-on, screw-in or push-on.
So if you were using a polarizer you just turned the lens hood. Maybe the Nikon hoods are like that, so no need for an access hatch?

Phil.

12-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I once saw a lens on a Nikon camera which had a thumbwheel on the lens hood that somehow turned the polariser. I don't know if the lens was also Nikon. It was a rather largish lens (a bit smaller than a Sigma 150-500) which looked quite old bu still had a petal hood..It intrigued me but I didn't have time to speak to the owner as I had to catch a ferry. I had asked what that knob at the front of the lens was, that being a very odd place to have a knob. All I got to know was that it turned the polariser. Never seen anything like it again.
12-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yah, I suppose a threaded, screw-on hood attached to the polarizer would allow you to turn the filter by turning the hood (did I do that with my Spotmatic? maybe so...). But the newer clip-on hood on Ron's Nikkor wouldn't allow that.

@bdery, yes that's an option, certainly, just remove the cover and stash it.
12-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It actually took me a year or so to realize what that little window was for since I never saw anyone else talked about it (everyone else being mostly CanNikon shooters of course). Never knew Pentax patented it. I love that little window.
12-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I use metal screw-on hoods, so I can turn the polarizer with ease and still have full hood sun flare and damage protection no matter what.