Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PIcked up a K500 today

Because that's what was on display, Are these things the same shape as the K50, K5, K30 etc etc?

I confess because it felt crap

I've kinda got in my head that the K30 / 5/ 500 / 50 are all more or the less the same for what I'd want them for, but are the chassis's much different in grip? I'm coming form a K10 here and well, that to me feels right. New is different and wrong!

Are all the grips pretty much the same on those things?

12-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

K-500 is exactly the same body as the K-50 only. All others are different.

I've never actually handled crap, but the K-7 / K-5 feel great in the hand.
12-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
You should get your kids a dog, They will love you, and your world view will be enlarged

So the K5 is different from the 50 / 500
12-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the K20D which is cosmetically similar to the K10D. I also have the K-01. You might say the K-01 was a flagship because nothing came before it (or after). The K10/20 also flagship and higher priced. Few - if any - cameras feel better in hand, especially given that they have no magnesium.

I was a bit disappointed with the feel of the K-30 - expecting that the feel of the controls and the surfaces would be similar quality to the K-01. Not that I'm defending the overall design of the K-01 with odd button locations, a floppy flap (covering a fine, solid card door). I think of the K-30 as utilitarian with above-average ergonomics, although a bit clunky and noisy. As my first non-flagship Pentax, I understand that the feel will be down a bit from what I experienced previously. Corners have to be cut somewhere to reach a low price point. Nonetheless, it is the best image-maker I own, and I value function over form.

12-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I have the K20D which is cosmetically similar to the K10D. I also have the K-01. You might say the K-01 was a flagship because nothing came before it (or after). The K10/20 also flagship and higher priced. Few - if any - cameras feel better in hand, especially given that they have no magnesium.

I was a bit disappointed with the feel of the K-30 - expecting that the feel of the controls and the surfaces would be similar quality to the K-01. Not that I'm defending the overall design of the K-01 with odd button locations, a floppy flap (covering a fine, solid card door). I think of the K-30 as utilitarian with above-average ergonomics, although a bit clunky and noisy. As my first non-flagship Pentax, I understand that the feel will be down a bit from what I experienced previously. Corners have to be cut somewhere to reach a low price point. Nonetheless, it is the best image-maker I own, and I value function over form.
very useful information...thank you.
12-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
The K-30 and K-50 have weather sealing that the K-500 lacks, which makes a small but noticeable difference in how the body feels in the hand.
12-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
The K-30 and K-50 have weather sealing that the K-500 lacks, which makes a small but noticeable difference in how the body feels in the hand.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. Where you have the seals, there is a more tactile sense, almost viscous.

My comments above about this model line might come off more critical than intended. Having handled the mid-line offerings from the major players some, I have no doubt that the Pentax build is at least a bit better and tighter. When I bought the K-30, I was expecting the textures I had seen in photos (especially the thumb rest area) to translate into soft rubber surface rather than body molding. That's my biggest "feel" complaint, and its relatively minor. The K-01 has a particularly soft and luscious shutter mechanism, so the K-30 was an abrupt change in terms of noise and mechanism vibration. I was disappointed to learn that the K-30 in live view cycles the mirror (starting from up position) with every shot. There are certain times when the K-01 is just a better tool for me.