Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Oly to Pentax

Hey guys, I used to own the Olympus E-410 up until last week when I returned it to local costco warehouse with 3month return policy. Although I really loved the Oly, they were a bit small on my hand and the lack of image stabilization was irritating me. I did consider the Olympus E-510 too but I had fall in love with Pentax 200D at the local camera store.
Luckly, Pentax is currently offering a student discount and I am planning to fully utilize it by ordering K200D along with DA* 16-50mm and 50-135mm (thats total of $225 rebate!). I've heard dozens of people getting poor DA* 16-50mm due to lack of QC so I'm planning to check/buy them at local Pentax authorized dealer.

Do you guys think this is a smart move?? K20D also looked really nice but I couldn't justify the extra $$$ and considering the fact that I'm still an amateur. I would really love to get decent camera gears before traveling to Japan this summer for 2 month

04-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the family. The E410 was a nice camera. Used one and considered buying it until an E330 showed up. Like Olympus but wouldn't want to be without the Pentax DS/K10D/K20D. Shoot both brands ( also have the E300).
There are times the Olympus will get better shots ( straight out of the camera) and times the Pentax win. Like the way Pentax works better. More serious user oriented vs Olympus more P&S mind set. Not sure Olympus would have ever enabled older lenses to use IS if Pentax hadn't applied pressure.
You will love the Pentax. Just give it time. Do try to consider the K20D. It is incredible. Love the lower noise and higher resolution. Also two control dials.
Saw the student rebates. Wondered how many would take advantage of them. Good going Pentax. If I were only a student.
thanks
barondla
04-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K10D is a better choice, from what I saw from others' posts. However, I don't think the K10D is on the rebate program. Since you already plan to buy the best current zooms for Pentax, I don't see why you wouldn't want to pair those two with the K20D, or at least a K10D.
04-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Welcome to the family. The E410 was a nice camera. Used one and considered buying it until an E330 showed up. Like Olympus but wouldn't want to be without the Pentax DS/K10D/K20D. Shoot both brands ( also have the E300).
There are times the Olympus will get better shots ( straight out of the camera) and times the Pentax win. Like the way Pentax works better. More serious user oriented vs Olympus more P&S mind set. Not sure Olympus would have ever enabled older lenses to use IS if Pentax hadn't applied pressure.
You will love the Pentax. Just give it time. Do try to consider the K20D. It is incredible. Love the lower noise and higher resolution. Also two control dials.
Saw the student rebates. Wondered how many would take advantage of them. Good going Pentax. If I were only a student.
thanks
barondla
Thanks!! I can't wait to join the pentax family Though It will amazing if I had deep enough pocket to use both Oly and pentax..
Just did a small research on k20d... I might wait for the price to go down because the lower noise and liveview is so tempting!
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
The K10D is a better choice, from what I saw from others' posts. However, I don't think the K10D is on the rebate program. Since you already plan to buy the best current zooms for Pentax, I don't see why you wouldn't want to pair those two with the K20D, or at least a K10D.
I would considered K10D if it was on the rebate program ... Though I might decide to go with K20D because it seems like many people are happy with it.

04-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hardly use the K10D after getting the 20. It is a good backup since the controls work the same. Being able to shoot the K20D at iso 100-200 and get more resolution and then switch to iso 1600 and out perform the K10D in noise is a tough combo to beat. There is also the ability to shoot at iso 3200 and 6400. Kept the DS because it was the best at high iso (and went to 3200). Also no one would give anything for one. Not sure what the K10d niche is. Seems K20D does everything as well or better. Then there is live view, Extract color and IR processing, dual pics on screen at time, bigger lcd, and apparently better real IR chip sensitivity. Biggest ad to K10D is for long time exposures the dark frame mode can be turned off. Should see this on firmware update for K20D.
Also the burst mode (21 frames a second) is a hoot. Already had Olympus and Canon owners almost cry when demonstarting it. let them shoot about 80 frames in 3 seconds. The look on the Canon owners face when seeing the small thumb nails was absolutely priceless. He had no idea he was shooting so many shots since camera is totally silent.
Only reason I have both systems is the heavy investment in OM glass. Other wise would be totally happy with the Pentax.
Good luck with the switch over. Keep taking those images.
thanks
barondla
04-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whether or not you should go for the K20D kinda depends on whether or not you can afford it in addition to getting the two lenses you mentioned. Those lenses you're considering will be the best Pentax offers in those ranges for quite some time, which means they'll retain their resale value better should you ever want to upgrade them. However, if you want to cut corners a little bit, another option would be to substitute the 16-45 f4 lens for the 16-50 f2.8 and save a pretty good chunk of change which could then be applied towards a K20D.
04-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Whether or not you should go for the K20D kinda depends on whether or not you can afford it in addition to getting the two lenses you mentioned. Those lenses you're considering will be the best Pentax offers in those ranges for quite some time, which means they'll retain their resale value better should you ever want to upgrade them. However, if you want to cut corners a little bit, another option would be to substitute the 16-45 f4 lens for the 16-50 f2.8 and save a pretty good chunk of change which could then be applied towards a K20D.
To be honest, I won't be able to afford both lenses if I go with K20D route

I've heard some people saying that their DA* 16-50mm performed excellent on K20D while it suffered on their previous K10D. Why is that?? Will K200D perform similarly because it shares a same "brain" as K20D? Or is it somewhat closer to what K10D performs w/ DA*. I'm sorry for asking so many noobish questions... I'm still debating between K10D, K200, and maybe K20D depending on price drop in near future.

K10D - no rebate available, $750
K200D - rebate applied, $585
K20D - rebate applied, $1030

All the price above are based on amazon and so far, the K200D seems to be the best move IMO and K20D next in line. To me, it really depends on whether K200D works fluently with DA* series just like K20D or not.
04-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentoxic Quote
To be honest, I won't be able to afford both lenses if I go with K20D route
I understand. That's why I suggested the 16-45 as a compromise. I didn't see it listed on Amazon, so I checked with B&H. They're selling it for $409. The 16-50 is selling there for $699. That's almost a $300 difference. Tack that $300 onto the price of the K200D and now you're only about $200 away from getting a K20D. However, since you're going to have to compromise SOMEWHERE, it might be smartest to make that compromise in the camera body since that's the piece of gear that's most likely to become outdated at some point and need to be replaced.

04-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You can always get a used K10D form the marketplace. I think there is one $550 with only 400 clicks at the moment. Or you can wait to save a little bit more. You already have an Oly system so there is really no hurry to get a Pentax. The rebate program will still be there for a while.