Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Pentax K100d

Hello everyone, first off I have a pentax K100d and everything was working awesome. But then one day i was using my manual setting and all my pictures i took outside started showing up white like I was using flash on something close. Also when I take pictures using the same setting indoors it becomes super dark and I can barely see the picture. I have been using autopic setting and everything works fine but i want to go back to manual setting. Any help?

12-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you post a picture with the EXIF meta data intact. In this way, we can see the data attached to the image, that will provide all of the camera settings. That will go a long way towards explaining what is going on.

12-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

Check the metering switch. You probably accidentally switched to Spot Metering.

Last edited by Doanh; 12-27-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo
12-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

It sounds as if you did not adjust exposure to match the scene. In M mode you'll have to set the aperture and shutter speed yourself (i.e. manually).

12-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
What's the best setting to change to?
12-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Even in Manual mode, the camera is going to meter for you. When you look through your eyepiece, you'll see some lines that look like this | | | | | | | and that's the camera's way of telling you if your settings are too dark (you'll have a mark way to the left), too bright (your mark will be way to the right) or just perfect (centered over the middle dash). You want to adjust your settings for the scene.

1st: ISO. Always shoot with the lowest ISO you can get away with. Outdoors, that's probably 200. Indoors, you're going to need to bump it up to like 800. I have a K100D, and I personally was never happy with anything beyond 800, but by all means, go higher if it means you get the shot! The higher you go, the more noise you introduce.

2nd: Aperture. This number is expressed as a fraction, so f/2.8 is really 1/2.8. f/11 is really 1/11, etc. So just like 1/2 a pie is bigger than 1/11 a pie, the opening of your lens is bigger at f/2.8 than it is at f/11. Bigger means it lets in more light (also you can control what's in and out of focus). If you have lots of light, you can be really creative and use anything. Indoors you're going to want to let in as much light as possible, so shoot with the widest aperture you've got (for the kit lens, I believe that's f/4 at the wide end and f/5.6 if you zoom in).

3rd: Shutter. You only need to go fast enough to not get motion blur. Outdoors, there's tons of light, so you can be creative. Indoors, the rule of thumb is 1/the focal length, so if you're shooting at 55mm with the kit lens zoomed in, you'll want to keep your shutter 1/50th or faster. If your subject is a child or an animal, aim for 1/125th or faster.

In conclusion, there are no best settings. If I'm sitting on the end of the couch by the lamp, you could probably shoot at ISO 800, aperture 5.6, shutter 1/160th. If I'm at the dark end of the couch, you might have to shoot ISO 1600, aperture 5.6, and shutter 1/30th and just pray I don't move.
12-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
thank you that was very informative