Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #1

Camera in a theme park

Would it be safe to take K20D to Gardaland (amusement/theme park in Italy).
It's brand new and I am still hesitant to take it with me to all sorts of rollercoasters, jumping, bumping, vibrating, water splashing and so on.
I would also hate to leave it at home.
What do you think?

04-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
man this is a tough one. If you are with other people who will hold the gear when you are on a ride then that's probably fine. You most likely can't take the camera anywhere where it could fly free anyway.

This is a place where a small P&S makes good sense.
04-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't buy a perfect camera and then leave it at home and take only a p&s !!!

I always take my K10D with me. Of course, a good camera bag is essential for going into a ride..

K10D (and your K20D) is also splash proof, so even photo's of wet attractions are possible.
04-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just put it into a backpack and wear it in the front while riding the "train of death". It is a sin to leave a camera at home....

04-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #5

EDIT: Stupid me, I should start reading the question thoroughly before posting ... you weren't asking about theft ...
Anyway, theft might be a problem as well.

I guess I wouldn't take the camera with me on a rolercoaster ride. But wait, that could give some really great shots At least if you can hold it and keep it from go flying ...

Last edited by Noisychip; 04-08-2008 at 03:22 PM.
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter

That's a tough one to call as well, but I usually take my K20D to those kinds of attractions. I just make sure that the camera strap is secure across my body so that it doesn't go flying if I'm on a ride. The only down side is that if you are at an attraction, the camera might draw criticism from the attraction managers..... case in point... I was in Las Vegas recently and decided to go to the Mandalay Bay Shark Reef with my K20D, 50-135mm f2.8, and my 50mm f2.8 macro lens. As I was standing in line, one of the staff personnel came up to me and asked me if I was a professional photographer. I just told them no and they said ok.... apparently they didn't want any pros taking pictures there (perhaps there was a permit fee arrangement or something). With more prosumer cameras like the K20D becoming more popular, the difference in determining pro and amateur is getting a lot smaller.... I've heard of some places banning DSLRs and P&S digicams that look like DSLRs (i.e. Panasonic FZ50, etc.) outright, especially at concerts.

Alex

Last edited by AlexM; 04-08-2008 at 12:44 PM.
04-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Can you even go on the big rollercoasters wearing backback or a camera? Last time my wife went for one of the big ones at Seven Flags, they were asking ladies to take the earings off. No flip-flops either. Can you imaginge K10D flying across the rollercoaster if it gets detached from the strap somehow?

I would definitely take it with me but I would take turns so one person can stay (and take pictures) while the other one is enjoying the ride.
04-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Really a personal choice. Having said that, I don't go too many places without my camera. I may have to miss a couple of rides or let someone I trust hang on to the camera while I ride. Probably would take a small amount of gear and a waist pack. Whatever your decision, I hope you have fun.

04-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I took my K10D with the 18-250 lens with me to Disney, and it went on every ride I went on. My wife was a little skeptical before the trip, but since I never asked her to hold the camera, she was glad I had it with me. I was glad as well. I had a backpack with snacks and other stuff in it, and if I felt the camera was in jeopardy, I put it in the backpack. I never felt inconvenienced by the camera, and was glad I had it.
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Took my DS, 21ltd and 50/1.7 to disney. Nice & compact setup. It's good if you can arrange a 'holder' non-ride person.
04-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The majority of the photos on my site are from amusement parks, and there are several from rollercoasters! Some of my favorite places to photograph are Disney theme parks, there's most any photo challenge you can name there. I've been to Walt Disney World with my DL, Disneyland with my K100D, and will be leaving for WDW in a couple weeks with my K20D and a pile of lenses (including a 50-135mm F2.8 that will arrive Thursday ). (Also had the K1000 with me on the last WDW trip, and it's been on a few previous visits, too!)

Here's one of my favorite shots from a rollercoaster, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at WDW, taken with my DL and my Zenitar 16mm fisheye. (I love fisheye lenses for on-ride photos! I didn't have the Pentax 10-17mm at that point but had it for Disneyland and will be using it a lot in my upcoming trip.) You can see one of their steam trains in the background, too.

But, to be fair, Disney doesn't have the "abuse you until you puke" rides that some amusement parks do - some of those may be a little much for handholding a camera. If you do, make sure to wrap the strap around your wrist (I will usually unbuckle the neck portion of my Op/Tech strap and buckle the short ends together and wrap it around my wrist, which works well).

Amusement and theme parks are also great for night photos! A remote shutter release is a nice thing to have and a tripod is even better.
04-09-2008, 02:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you everybody, I too think it would be sin to leave it at home, but I probably won't take it on the rollercoaster with me...
04-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
Amusement and theme parks are also great for night photos! A remote shutter release is a nice thing to have and a tripod is even better.
At Disney resort parks, be aware that tripods are frowned upon and security personnel will ask that you not use them (They cite safety concerns).

Alex
04-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
At Disney resort parks, be aware that tripods are frowned upon and security personnel will ask that you not use them (They cite safety concerns).

Alex
I'm sorry, but that's not true, at least not currently. I used my tripod (a big carbon-fiber job) nearly every night on my last WDW trip (9 nights) and every night on my last DL trip (3 nights), including having it open and slung over my shoulder when the crowds weren't too bad, and never had any security express any concerns. (This was in all four parks as well as Downtown Disney.) I'm very active on a Disney photography forum and this question comes up occasionally and I've never heard from anyone who's been asked to not use their tripod. I also used my big aluminum monopod on the few nights that I didn't use my tripod on my last WDW trip, including carrying it slung from my belt with a carabiner, again with no concerns from security. I do do my best to be considerate of other guests, and when possible, will set up the tripod in a safe place like right next to a railing or right behind a bench, and will keep the legs closer together than usual if it's a crowded situation (like for the various fireworks shows.)

Once someone posted a photo of Tokyo Disneyland before the fireworks, and there was a quite long line of tripods set up. It was a cool photo.

Note also that the official Disney Photopass photographers use tripods at night, right in the middle of high-traffic areas like Main Street USA. Also, that the "bag check" security always sees the tripod when we go into the park and none have ever expressed any concerns.