Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh I didn't mean to throw it back in your face - those are good ideas. What frustrates me is Denver doesn't get any credit here (or in ANY mefia, it seems) for the things they are doing.
Don't worry about me I'm having fun!! Just needling those poor souls that are unhappy with all that's before them.

12-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm probably not an example of the "women's" demographic, either. I've been using Pentax cameras since the early 70s. At the time I decided a digital SLR was the next one, I did some research and was thrilled to find the K-r as the most bang for the buck given my very limited budget. Simply could not afford a K5, alas. I have used Nikon (I hassle regularly with a D80 at work) and handled Canon (just didn't feel right in my hands, I forget the model now, but the ergonomics of it and the menus were inscrutable), I choose Pentax.

I would never ever consider a candy-colored camera. Might be a lure for some women (and some men), but not for me.
12-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I'd buy one that looked like a fruit loop box for the right price! And of course it was a Pentax!!
12-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I love the candy colors. But the black wason sale & the black is what I got! When I upgraded to the k-5ii, it was black, period.

But I'd REALLY dig a blue one. Maybe even slightly translucent, so I could see all the bits & bobs inside.

(Yes, I'm aware that would never work!)

12-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I would never ever consider a candy-colored camera. Might be a lure for some women (and some men), but not for me.
Well to be honest, I wouldn't either. I even have a black K-01 and a black Q.

But that doesn't mean other people shouldn't have colors if they want them (and I'm not sure it is fair to label it a women's demographic - I think an awful lot of men here were really excited by the Stormtrooper cameras).
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Star Wars!! Did someone mention Stormtroopers?(sigh) Thanks guys, now I gotta go watch the Movies again!! The originals that is. Princess Leia was a babe!!(2xsigh)
12-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Don't worry about me I'm having fun!! Just needling those poor souls that are unhappy with all that's before them.
Lots of that going on over at Forums: Digital Photography Review

Have Fun.

12-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Maybe even slightly translucent, so I could see all the bits & bobs inside.
Like this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/113627-did-...lear-lens.html ??
12-30-2013, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I'm probably not an example of the "women's" demographic, either.
My apologies for inserting a possibly sexist remark into this thread, I was just reporting the reactions of three women known to me. Admittedly an absurdly small sample. The colors are a marketing niche, something that makes Pentax stand out and attracts attention in stores. They also serve as a 'feature trap' which is a feature that though most people would not buy having it available makes them feel more confident in the brand. An example is clothing, stores always have the newest most 'cutting edge' stuff right up front and center to attract attention. 95% of shoppers walk right past the display and buy the boring blue jeans or whatever. But they feel more confident in the store because they have the impression the store is keeping up with trends, even though they themselves would never buy those trends.

But to address the OP: Why does Pentax have to be a major player? All they need to do is be profitable, take care of their customer base and produce products that fit with their design philosophy. I keep seeing people say "Pentax is Doomed" unless they do this or that. I don't think they have to do anything but be Pentax. Deliver quality, ergonomic bodies and small excellent glass at a reasonable price point. They are not ever going to be Canon or Nikon and if anyone is hanging on waiting for them to do so I fear you will be sadly disappointed.
12-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But to address the OP: Why does Pentax have to be a major player? All they need to do is be profitable, take care of their customer base and produce products that fit with their design philosophy. I keep seeing people say "Pentax is Doomed" unless they do this or that. I don't think they have to do anything but be Pentax. Deliver quality, ergonomic bodies and small excellent glass at a reasonable price point. They are not ever going to be Canon or Nikon and if anyone is hanging on waiting for them to do so I fear you will be sadly disappointed.
What you said!!
12-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #56
Site Supporter

I'm in heaven! I MUST HAVE PRECIOUSSSS!
12-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I hope that's not your auto correct going nuts again!!
12-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thought you would like that
12-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #59
Site Supporter

Nope! You know now I'm going to be obsessed with finding one...
12-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know now I'm going to be obsessed with finding one...
Check this: RARE Pentax Zoom 105 Super Transparent | eBay Not what you want but still cool. The transparent cameras and lenses do come up for sale occasionally, more often than I would think really. I believe they were made as demonstrators or in-store displays. I actually bid on a clear F 35-70 once but it's not my thing so I did not pursue it too much.