Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Just to clarify, in my original post I wasn't shopping, only observing what was available in person and not online. I was merely commenting on what I saw non-Pentax wise as I browsed malls/stores leading up to Christmas. For the record, the only brick-and-mortar retailers I've ever bought my equipment from are all in Alberta (haven't needed to buy online, quite frankly) and they're not big-box: The Camera Store, McBain's, Saneal, Vistek (only when desperate!). And yes, I get my deals that way as well by looking online and getting price matches; McBain's is particularly good with doing that.
Personally I don't think Pentax has anything to be ashamed about price wise! You can find a K-50 kit for for under $700. Take it home drop it in a snowbank, then in a sandbox, then hang it in the shower with no ill effects!!! It's been done!!! Try that with a same priced canikon. And when your done crying. Come back to Pentax!!! Best in class durability baby!!!!

01-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Originally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim
Develop a new lens line? That's interesting - because Pentax volume on the Q line, DA lenses, legacy FA, and 645 is so bountiful that another line of lenses (where profits are normally made) is something the company really needs. A more creative route is needed...

Monochrome:
Out of curiosity, what precisely is Pentax's volume and profitability on those lines?

The volume is so high and profits soaring so much that before you know it, the other brands will be hard pressed to decide whether they should be offering only four discrete mount lines, or perhaps a fifth would be advisable.
Uhmmmmm, Numbers?
01-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uhmmmmm, Numbers?
I think you're missing the gist. The numbers are so enormous they cannot be calculated. Canon, Nikon and Sony will be forced into instant liquidation in the next few weeks as a result of Pentax dominance in the market. (Just carrying the sarcasm to its logical extreme.)

You really only need common sense in business and some micro-economics background in your skill set to understand that small scale spread so thinly is a problem for Pentax. Really, if you have numbers regarding Ricoh profitability specific in particular to interchangeable mount cameras and lenses go right ahead and prove that the current operation of the subset of a division is carrying the company - please share your insider knowledge. You need numbers, but it is possible to figure out some things without the spreadsheet - when the situation is rather obvious.
01-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

You're missing the point.

Anything they do is a marginal decision, but the same is true for Canon. Size doesn't matter. Return On Invested Capital matters.

The thread should be "One Reason Ricoh Won't Be A Major Player Soon." Never is incorrect.

Pentax doesn't need to be a "Big Player" at all.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-03-2014 at 07:03 AM.
01-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #95
bvg

Pentax doesn't need to be a "Big Player" at all.
If Pentax doesn't want to be a big player, it will not even small.
01-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
If Pentax doesn't want to be a big player, it will not even small.
Man, the blow hards are out in full force.... how many un-testble theories does it take to fill a thread?
01-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #97
Veteran Member

One reason why Pentax will never be a major player

What happened to all of those "remain positive in 2014" resolutions?

The situation with Pentax right now is as good as it's been in years. Threads like this don't help the cause. It casts doubt in the minds of prospective shooters.

Pentax is not a perfect brand by any means. There are dozens of things I wish were different. The bottom line is, if you're an enthusiast of photography (not equipment), Pentax is the best option right now. Will this be the case in 12 months? Who knows. So far I haven't seen a crystal ball that tells otherwise.

Last edited by krebsy75; 01-03-2014 at 08:23 AM.
01-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Man, the blow hards are out in full force.... how many un-testble theories does it take to fill a thread?
I didn't make the claim and I don't have to disprove it. That's a standard Alinskyite tactic. To borrow a phrase, "Punch back, twice as hard." How about, "Speak Truth to Power." or my Algebra teacher, Mr. Werremeyer's' favorite from my youth, "Liars don't figure and figures don't lie."

I got hammered about 15 pages back for disclaiming a sweeping generalization. Yeah, one sentence was unfair and snarky, so I edited the post and called back my comment.

All I ask is, if you want to make a claim about the company based on sales or profits or market share or product failure, back it up with facts and figures. Inflammatory statements that show what should be "obvious" to anyone with even a bit of understanding of "microeconomics" add nothing to a conversation about the reality of Ricoh Imaging.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying another brand if it is better suited to your needs, or if you think your current brand won't be around to support your needs next year.

(They just can't stand our pushback.)

Last edited by monochrome; 01-03-2014 at 09:58 AM.
01-03-2014, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

Well to be honest, I wouldn't either. I even have a black K-01 and a black Q.

But that doesn't mean other people shouldn't have colors if they want them (and I'm not sure it is fair to label it a women's demographic - I think an awful lot of men here were really excited by the Stormtrooper cameras).
i wasn't quite excited by stormtrooper colors, but for a 47 y/o male who considers himself an advanced photographer, I loved the styling of the K30 and REALLY wanted the navy blue. My GF has one and she doesn't even want my K5iis when I get a K3 because she likes her "blue camera" too much. in fact, the only thing that "saved" me from not getting a blue k30 was the fact no battery grip was available.

there is something to be said about cameras allowing for a little personal expression, whether male or female. after all aren't we artists? isn't that what photography is about?

i'd LOVE to see ricoh utilize the K30 styling with a battery grip on a pro camera line. and if they offered some colors like navy and dark red, that would be rather cool too.

you don't have to be 20 something to appreciate "cool"
01-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
i wasn't quite excited by stormtrooper colors, but for a 47 y/o male who considers himself an advanced photographer, I loved the styling of the K30 and REALLY wanted the navy blue. My GF has one and she doesn't even want my K5iis when I get a K3 because she likes her "blue camera" too much. in fact, the only thing that "saved" me from not getting a blue k30 was the fact no battery grip was available.

there is something to be said about cameras allowing for a little personal expression, whether male or female. after all aren't we artists? isn't that what photography is about?

i'd LOVE to see ricoh utilize the K30 styling with a battery grip on a pro camera line. and if they offered some colors like navy and dark red, that would be rather cool too.

you don't have to be 20 something to appreciate "cool"
I had the Red K-x, and it sure stuck out like a sore thumb - which was actually a point for my wife.
1. It would never get lost in a sea of Canikony's
2. It got noticed (which is why my wife liked it)

I personally would have gone with storm trooper white, but the red was on sale. Similarly, when I replaced my K-x with the K-30, navy blue and storm trooper white were nowhere, but crystal red was available. I actually like that its a little less in your face. I suppose I could have waited on the K-50 sale and purchased a purple one

As long as Pentax keeps grabbing market where it CAN sell its product (US = tough competition market from Canikony), it will be fine.
01-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
The situation with Pentax right now is as good as it's been in years. Threads like this don't help the cause. It casts doubt in the minds of prospective shooters.
I didn't mean to cause a firestorm in my original post nor try to damage the "cause" of Pentax; I was just expressing myself, "one man's opinion", which I'm thankful this forum and our society by and large still lets us do (with few exceptions). And I would agree that Pentax has put out increasingly impressive products since I first took the plunge with a K20D and a FA 50mm f/1.4 lens.

I'm by no means a dissatisfied Pentax user, and I by no means dislike the images I'm producing and posting. I guess I just have this underlying fear, deep at the back of my consciousness, that in a number of or perhaps a few years I'll have invested a lot of money in a company that will go the way of others who have dropped off the map since the digital photography revolution. This fear makes me a little leery on occasion that I'm not part of one of the "big dogs", which isn't to say I like their equipment better because frankly I'm quite satisfied with my Pentax gear.

So I say this not out of disdain for Pentax but rather a subtle fear that something I love and works great for me will someday be gone. If this sounds dumb, so be it since nobody can predict the future. Just thanks for putting up with me analyzing my fears and perhaps having a fear-based mini-rant in the post that started this unexpectedly lengthy thread!
01-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #102
Site Supporter

I didn't mean to cause a firestorm in my original post nor try to damage the "cause" of Pentax; I was just expressing myself, "one man's opinion", which I'm thankful this forum and our society by and large still lets us do (with few exceptions). And I would agree that Pentax has put out increasingly impressive products since I first took the plunge with a K20D and a FA 50mm f/1.4 lens.
I didn't take your post wrong and I see nothing in it that is not true. Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion. But I do think much of the things you said Pentax needs to do are actually being done. It's just that they don't have a magic wand and you don't get out of "almost dead" overnight. It took years to get to the bottom and it will take years to get back up.

It is hard to see the changes from looking at a point on the time line. Go back to 2009, is Pentax in a better place now than they were then? I don't see how you can say anything but a resounding yes. The rumors then were around when they would go out of business, not when the next new camera will come out.

Maybe things are not happening as fast as 'we' would like but things are happening. I don't think Pentax is going anywhere, I think their future is brighter right now than at any time since I've been involved with the brand. Things are always darkest before the dawn.
01-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #103
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry about it enoxatnep, a good rousing discussion clears the mind! I am no business wizard, but I do believe slow and steady is a good approach in this market! If Ricoh is hitting their goals, I doubt you will see any real ad changes in the short term. If they are selling whats being produced, that will be a win for them!
Food for thought: There was once a corporation that wanted to be the biggest in the world of food. Beatrice! Yep that's the name. In the 80's they expanded at an astounding pace buying all before them with borrowed money! For about two years they were the king of the mountain! Then they collapsed from the strain and everything they owned was sold to others!! I might be a bit off on the details so no lawsuits please! The moral is Ricoh could dominate the market temporarily, but at what cost??
01-03-2014, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

I'm by no means a dissatisfied Pentax user, and I by no means dislike the images I'm producing and posting. I guess I just have this underlying fear, deep at the back of my consciousness, that in a number of or perhaps a few years I'll have invested a lot of money in a company that will go the way of others who have dropped off the map since the digital photography revolution. This fear makes me a little leery on occasion that I'm not part of one of the "big dogs"...

We all share your concern. Investing in Pentax equipment involves higher risk than some other brands. You have to weigh the risk/reward benefit.
01-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter

When I first settled on Pentax, 4 years ago, I was admonished by some posters at Steve's Digicams that "Pentax is doomed!" & that I was potentially about to be set adrift, orphaned from any meaningful upgrade path. A couple of folks strongly encouraged me to reconsider Olympus or Sony.

The Olympus e620 & e520 were both on my short list. The Sony a230 & a330 were as well.

We all know how that turned out. I think Oly made one or two dslrs after that before focusing exclusively on micro4/3.

Last edited by dansamy; 01-03-2014 at 06:55 PM.