Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been hearing Pentax dome and gloom since 1981 when I bought my ME Super. Here we are 33 years later................. My K200D is still going strong and I just added a Metz 58 AF-2 to my collection of gear.

01-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd rather risk being orphaned than be a sheeple!! B-a-a-a-a-a
01-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #108
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I've been hearing Pentax dome and gloom since 1981 when I bought my ME Super.
It just occurred to me that the problem is no one ever told Pentax that they were doomed. I mean everyone knows it, but I guess Pentax never got the memo............
01-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It just occurred to me that the problem is no one ever told Pentax that they were doomed. I mean everyone knows it, but I guess Pentax never got the memo............

LMAO!!!

01-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #110
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just an observation - Ricoh have been making cameras for the best part of half a century. They were never a top player, but they never gave up either, even though the camera arm was a small part of their overall business. This gives me hope that they will not give up on the K-mount anytime soon. (But, just in case, I have a K-5, a new K-5 IIs and a K-3, which should see me through a good few years).
01-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But since everyone knows it, Ricoh had to put their name on the back of the K3 to remind us that there is a deep well of resolve and capital behind Pentax now. Have no fear. Ricoh is committed to K-mount, Q and 645.
01-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #112
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Line Up or Fall down?

My overall reaction is that R/P is in a good spot now, and can relax the pressure to produce a startlingly new camera body (in whatever format you prefer) for a bit and concentrate on lenses.
Along the way, a sensible replacement for the K-5IIs, since it's the oldest model/technology of the DSLR lineup, would be nice. For the # 2 spot in the body line, another upgrade to the K-5(series) appeals to me less than an upgraded K-50 or slightly downgraded K-3; But the all-new K-70 or K-6 (as examples) with 18-20Mp, selectable AA, (roughly) 7 fps and optional BG, perhaps a few newer features that could be incorporated into the K-3 (via firmware) later, on a 'trial' basis. A good, capable but not flagship-quality body, around $800-$900 USD.
Before anyone remarks that Canikon does this regularly, de-featuring (crippling, deliberately removing or lessening capability),I think it is pretty obvious by now that Pentax traditionally offers great value in all the price-point segments; I'd expect this to hold true with the new # 2 body. Slightly better/newer than the K-30, but not as feature-loaded as the K-3. Different, somewhat, from both.
Keep moving forward.
In the meantime, direct most of the design resources towards lenses; We all know the laundry list and so does Ricoh/Pentax, I'm sure. Fast/long telephotos, a 1.4 and/or 1.7 TC, good, fast W/R, WA primes, competitive short and tele zooms, etc.
Take enough time to make them right, priced fairly, advertised widely.
And keep their foot on the gas pedal, regarding distributorship, 3rd party support and marketing.
Eventually make everything that's suitable, W/R and DC. Keep tweaking the AF system until it's truly world-class.
That's my idea for a priority list!
Ron
01-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #113
Pentaxian

I don't think Pentax needs to have 100 different models that are slightly different. 2, 3 models is enough. An artificially limited model has to be sold for less, without being less expensive to produce. Might as well bring down the price of the regular model.

I wish Pentax would fix the K-5 and K-3 firmwares for video use. There are a few things that should be easy to implement and which turn it into great cameras, from so-so ones. Todays pros often want both good stills and good video, if Pentax won't deliver on the video front it's not interesting.

A K-3v would be another possibility. That one would have the hardware upgrades necessary to turn it into a proper high end video camera. 4K support (perhaps with 4K sensor, which is less than 24 MP), support of ProRes and Cinema DNG, writing to SSD, ... It would be good for both, with better low light performance due to bigger pixels. Perhaps team up with other companies specialized in video. The audio part could be done by Zoom for example, or feature a port that you can fit a Zoom recorder/mic in... So that the camera controls when to start recording and the audio is being saved directly in the video file.
Team up with a famous cameraman, have him define what is needed and advertise with his name, perhaps doing ads. The Pentax V-3 Wally Pfister for example. Offer various lens mounting options.

Finally, API for the K-3 with WiFi module, perhaps via USB too. All camera functions, and I mean all, should be accessible. Let programmers go crazy. Let users be able to write scripts on image capturing. Go wild. A program that takes exposure rows at 4 different sensor positions, then waits a minute, moves the camera on a motorized and remote controlled slider, then takes another row? Sure! Or that takes time laps while moving the sensor from left to right. Anything is possible.

01-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #114

Go your own way!

Hi guys,
I am a complete Petro head so let's look at this from a different perspective.

Over the last few decades the Japs have rammed discount down our throats ad-nausium! Unfortunately some of the great American brands followed suit and look at the result! Even Mercedes tried to dip into Chrysler,specifically to increase profits.......same again!

In South Africa Toyota pushed hard for the middle management market, where these guys get offered a company car as part of their package. Usually this was in the form of a maximum amount they could spend per month. Back in the 90's Toyota pushed the Camry crammed with the usual "extras" thrown in for nothing, i.e. ,leather seats,mags,radio tape etc.
Audi BMW and Merc offered ther 4,3 and c class stock standard in the same two litre category.

Here are the October 2013 sales figures, C class 1119, 3 series 1035, Corolla 821, A4 628.
(Camry replaced by the Corolla).
In the nineties Toyota was selling 4500 Camry's a month and the three German brands were only getting established here,together they could barely make the 500 sales a month mark.

A friend of mine is in senior management at the local Toyota factory here, he informs me that the three German brands are slowly eroding away their market share and they know now that the public knows their offering, in spite of all the bells and whistles, is essentially not in the same league.

Sorry for the long story but my point is this, as has already been pointed out, Pentax is focusing on ensusiast photographer offerings, ie shake reduction, metal frame, weather sealing and so on. Bloody hell I DON'T want a freaking video offering on my DSLR and a whole bunch of bells and whistles which do not directly affect my pictures.

In my opinion, the LAST thing they need to do is start offering discount deals to sell their cameras. There are millions of people around the Globe who know the Pentax brand. Pentax must focus on quality and stay focused on the enthusiast photographer.......the profits will come.

And lastly I have never bought into this whole discount thing........if you pay peanuts, you gonna get monkeys.

Last edited by Asama; 01-04-2014 at 12:24 AM.
01-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asama Quote
Hi guys,
I am a complete Petro head so let's look at this from a different perspective.

Over the last few decades the Japs have rammed discount down our throats ad-nausium! Unfortunately some of the great American brands followed suit and look at the result! Even Mercedes tried to dip into Chrysler,specifically to increase profits.......same again!

In South Africa Toyota pushed hard for the middle management market, where these guys get offered a company car as part of their package. Usually this was in the form of a maximum amount they could spend per month. Back in the 90's Toyota pushed the Camry crammed with the usual "extras" thrown in for nothing, i.e. ,leather seats,mags,radio tape etc.
Audi BMW and Merc offered ther 4,3 and c class stock standard in the same two litre category.

Here are the October 2013 sales figures, C class 1119, 3 series 1035, Corolla 821, A4 628.
(Camry replaced by the Corolla).
In the nineties Toyota was selling 4500 Camry's a month and the three German brands were only getting established here,together they could barely make the 500 sales a month mark.

A friend of mine is in senior management at the local Toyota factory here, he informs me that the three German brands are slowly eroding away their market share and they know now that the public knows their offering, in spite of all the bells and whistles, is essentially not in the same league.

Sorry for the long story but my point is this, as has already been pointed out, Pentax is focusing on ensusiast photographer offerings, ie shake reduction, metal frame, weather sealing and so on. Bloody hell I DON'T want a freaking video offering on my DSLR and a whole bunch of bells and whistles which do not directly affect my pictures.

In my opinion, the LAST thing they need to do is start offering discount deals to sell their cameras. There are millions of people around the Globe who know the Pentax brand. Pentax must focus on quality and stay focused on the enthusiast photographer.......the profits will come.

And lastly I have never bought into this whole discount thing........if you pay peanuts, you gonna get monkeys.
Buy a Nikon Df. It doesn't have video. It could, but they left it away.

Well, but it as long as you can, because from what I see the reaction is mostly "What? No video? Not going to buy...". Even though it is brilliant for stills. Full frame, great sensor, manual controls, compatible with ancient lenses, ...

If Pentax wants to compete, it needs to do video. If Pentax wants to gain market share, it needs to do video extremely well. That's the market where people seem more flexible. RED appears out of nowhere, suddenly they are everywhere. Then BlackMagic. And so on.