Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Screen Pass?

One of the most-mentioned features that was speculated on between the 'pending' rumours of the K-3 and the first actual reviews, was the tilt/swivel or articulating LCD screen.
And, oh, the hand-wringing and cries of doom when that fold-out screen didn't appear on the K-3! 'All the Sony DSLR's have it!" "The Nikon d5300 has one!", "The Canon T5I features a moveable screen!", and so on.
Arguments waged back-and-forth about the merits (or, lack) of the articulated screen; Would it hamper the W/R, could it break under hard use, was it a real selling point or a gimmick?
Being a member of 2 large Photography clubs provides me with an opportunity to see many other brands and types of camera in use and close-up. In fact, there's nearly a full range of price points (including just about every 'starter' kit made) systems, viewfinder type, mirror/less, format and brand available.
And, except for a few of the base and lower-to-mid range DSLR's, not too many articulating screens.
Here's a short list of current DSLR's, both crop-sensor and full frame, that have a fixed LCD screen;
Canon EOS 1D
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 6D
Canon EOS 7D
Nikon D7100
Nikon D800
Nikon D610
Nikon Df
Nikon D4
Sigma SD 1 Merrill
And of course, the entire Pentax DSLR lineup, the K-3, K-5 (series), K-50, K-500.
Only the Sony SLT A58, A65, A77 and A99 have articulated screens in the 'upper' tier of DSLR's. Put another way, if you're looking to spend upwards of $1,000 for a new DSLR (and 'upwards' includes $5,000-$7,000!) from any of these 5 makers, only one brand has a moveable screen, Sony.
If the articulating screen is so necessary (or, desired) for DSLR's, why doesn't Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Sigma offer it in these models?
Now, if Pentax wants to try the tilt screen in a new lower/mid-priced DSLR model, I wouldn't object. See what the market and reviewers think, test the response, the durability and W/R quality, stick a toe in the water, so to speak. But on the flagship model? No thanks!
JMO,
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 12-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.
12-29-2013, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually the 70D has a fully articulating touchscreen. The 70D and 7100 would be the cameras to compare the K3 against, but I'm with you. I would rather have ease of mind that the WR is fully working. That might be why the 70D even has the screen, like the 60D it is not WR.
12-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oooppps!

Thanks, Matt, I goofed on that one! I've edited it out.
I've never missed having a tilt screen, but I see lots of lower-priced cameras being used in LV with the screen serving as an arms-length viewfinder.
Guess I'm just stuck on using the eye-level SLR type finder.
Ron
12-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very happy with fix screen on my "big" toys.
For those rare occasions when tilt screen is convenient, like the recent concert in the Cathedral , I used MX-1 with all sounds off.
I am very pleased with Pentax offerings......

12-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

One of the selling points of Pentax is WR. How difficult (and hence expensive) does one think that it is to make a smallish tilt/swivel hinge (with the electrical contacts) weather proof AND reliable. A simple seal around a dial is one thing, a WR hinge another.
So think that I'm happy that it's not there in the current line-up till such time that the hinge can be tilted / swiveled as many times without failing as the shutter count is guaranteed.

The most rock solid way will be a wireless communcation between the camera and the screen. No mechanical contacts that can wear and tear, no cables that can break due to frequent movement and so on.
Next we will complain about the fact that it's not removable so it can be used for tethering at 1km distance
12-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
One of the selling points of Pentax is WR. How difficult (and hence expensive) does one think that it is to make a smallish tilt/swivel hinge (with the electrical contacts) weather proof AND reliable. A simple seal around a dial is one thing, a WR hinge another.
So think that I'm happy that it's not there in the current line-up till such time that the hinge can be tilted / swiveled as many times without failing as the shutter count is guaranteed.

The most rock solid way will be a wireless communcation between the camera and the screen. No mechanical contacts that can wear and tear, no cables that can break due to frequent movement and so on.
Next we will complain about the fact that it's not removable so it can be used for tethering at 1km distance

Wireless tilt-screen, to avoid cables, eh? How do you suggest powering that beast? A screen is eating power like there's no tomorrow, so "wireless power" sounds like a bad idea, as does having a screen big enough to hold it's own D-Li 90 ....

Isn't Pentax already proposing something like that with the flu card + whatever screen you already have in your pocket?
12-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Isn't Pentax already proposing something like that with the flu card + whatever screen you already have in your pocket?
That has been my thinking from the moment I heard of the FluCard for Pentax. In its first iteration we are told it will display images and allow numerous shooting functions remotely on a WiFi linked device. Including a mini tablet or a full-sized tablet.

Of course, some will lament that they can't squat down and shoot a low scene with just the camera, or hold just the camera overhead to get that celebrity shot over the crowd. Kinda hard to operate a camera held overhead and the controls with the left thumb on an iPhone.

Never happy.
12-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote

Pentax has already done a hinged joint with electrical contacts that as far as I know has never failed - it is the popup flash - that has three wires, exactly the number needed for an LCD screen. Actually the screen can even be done with just two wires with a little extra effort.

All you need is a seal exactly like that used on the control wheels or AF/MF switch, or actually just like the one on the popup flash. The wiring should be easier than that of the popup flash as the wires needs to handle only a few volts at low current rather than the 100 amps peak and a couple of hundred volts for the flash tube.

I think the main reason for not putting a tilt/swivel screen is more a matter of Pentax not wanting the SLRs to look like 'cheap' bridge cameras and possibly also to keep down the thickness, though the latter would not add more than 5mm or thereabouts to the thickness.

It seems to have become fashionable to scoff at tilt screens because they are 'toys' and almost be proud of having a camera without it. While the tilt screen may be a bothersome useless addition for many situations there are other situations where it (or an off camera wired/wireless display) is the only way to take a proper shot. Maybe not very often for artistic photography where the aim is to create a beutiful and pleasing image but more so when photographing to create an accurate record of things. As an engineer I have found a tilt screen indispensable and it is one thing that keeps my Fuji S9500 in business. I do have an alternative for my Pentax cameras (well at least the K-r and K30) but it is quite clumsy - a tiny LCD monitor connected by a lead to the camera. In the end it is often too much bother and I just use the Fuji instead.

12-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That has been my thinking from the moment I heard of the FluCard for Pentax. In its first iteration we are told it will display images and allow numerous shooting functions remotely on a WiFi linked device. Including a mini tablet or a full-sized tablet.

Of course, some will lament that they can't squat down and shoot a low scene with just the camera, or hold just the camera overhead to get that celebrity shot over the crowd. Kinda hard to operate a camera held overhead and the controls with the left thumb on an iPhone.

Never happy.
Useless if you need to keep both hands on the Camera.

An articulating screen is a totally different beast than a remote screen.
12-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Useless if you need to keep both hands on the Camera.

An articulating screen is a totally different beast than a remote screen.
Yep!!

OTOH I don't need one and won't ever need one - I'll just skip that shot. If it costs money I don't want to pay for it.