Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
And I guess that was my point... if their business model is just that some loyal pentaxians will buy the K3/K50s and DA lenses at full price upon release, then that group of buyers is a slowly shrinking group.

And therefore the premium high-margin pricing on lenses is not a long term solution in a market with Nikon and Canon already dominating that niche and owning all shelf space at almost every brick and mortar retail outlet.

By looking at the numbers, the now 5 year old 'Color' experiment has not really moved the needle much...

They have to get new folks buying the entry/mid level models... at release, or end of cycle. You just got to get them in peoples hands.
You need kits sitting on shelves at the holidays. You need hands on capabilities year round. Drop the price on the DA50 and 35 entry lenses. Get em hooked...

I know the US market is not the be all end all for success... But that is all I know, and Pentax are failing here in the US

Surely I am not the only one who thinks that might make a difference.

Or maybe you can open my eyes to how the high-margin lens pricing does make sense long term... maybe I am blinded by my own financial status.
I really think that as long as you have a good product on release, there are plenty of folks who will pay full price. The K5 II wasn't such a product, but there seem to be an awful lot of folks purchasing K3s for basically full price.

12-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here's what I really, truly think. Thre are 125 million "consumers" in the USA (employed, disposable income). There are 240 million consumers in the EU. Both countries are still recovering from 2008 (though the USA is better off and farther along than the EU, which had a second recession in 2011). Canon and Nikon have entrenched distribution and marketing levers in USA and EU that would be very difficult to assault (known as barriers to entry).

There are ten times as many "consumers" in Asia, significantly more of them are just now acquiring their first wave of consumer items (how many bed frames did I need after I got the first one? Dining Room Tables andhairs? Refrigerators - once every twenty years? etc.) and they are younger.

I think the big names are marketing here because they are here, but the opportunity to grow lies in Asia. I think Ricoh's plan is to Market in Asia where the growth opportunity lies and to Sell here without investing very much - after all, Pentax charges its regional divisions the same thing for its products the workld over. It is the regional divisions that make the regional pricing decisions. RIAC set the MAP Pricing for US sales (and if you know how you can always get a better-than-MAP price any day of the week).
I agree with your comments - especially on the part of where 'emerging markets' are. As many CEO's have said - we need to look to the East. In India and China ALONE, there 2.5 billion people. Asia Pacific in general are approaching 4 billion - that's more than half of the world's population.
North America is approximately 1/8th of that number. Its the disposable income issue. In most western countries, its shrinking. In APAC, its growing with the economy of the region.

I don't want Pentax to become a Canon/Nikon/Sony - I don't really mind it as it is. A niche player that I can get good gear for - even if its through Amazon/B&H/Adorama only., although some presence here would be nice.
12-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
although some presence here would be nice.
That comes a bit later.

RIAC is doing some things now we haven't seen in years. They have a real Booth and Conference Room at CES, for instance. They're working very hard to make it a good and productive show.

Just don't expect Ashton Kutcher pitching K3's on the Olympics.
12-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I dont need ashton... but a guy at a kiosk in the mall over the holidays would have been cool...

I mean come on, they had kiosks with crap on them.

Imagine a kiosk at some large regional malls, with the Pentax cameras and lenses to hold and some kits to buy and someone who knows the pluses of the pentax system answering questions...

12-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
I dont need ashton... but a guy at a kiosk in the mall over the holidays would have been cool...

I mean come on, they had kiosks with crap on them.

Imagine a kiosk at some large regional malls, with the Pentax cameras and lenses to hold and some kits to buy and someone who knows the pluses of the pentax system answering questions...
I agree. But you need trained demonstrators in EVERY Kiosk (someone who knows the pluses and minuses of the Pentax system . . . ). Those contracts to supply demonstrators (they won't be Pentax employees for seasonal employment) are really expensive.

Maybe this year (2014).
12-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mirrorless Camera Enthusiasts Gather for Fifth Annual ?DSLR End of Days (DSLREOD5)? | New Camera News
12-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nevertheless K-3 was voted camera of the 2013 by the huge margin, so we do not have much to worry about......
enjoy 2014 with full of Pentax/Ricoh gear!
12-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
nevertheless K-3 was voted camera of the 2013 by the huge margin, so we do not have much to worry about......
enjoy 2014 with full of Pentax/Ricoh gear!
Very funny...

and yet so true...

12-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I question how much cellphones will cut into Pentax's business because, if you look at their product line, it's not aimed at the general public. It's aimed at photographers. On the Ricoh/Pentax website, there's only one Optio. After that, it jumps to the MX-1, X-5, the WG line, and then we're into the Qs, DSLRs, and 645. Those are almost all photographers' cameras...not Ashton Kutcher's.

Edited to add: Oops...left out the GR. Very much a photographer's camera.
12-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

No mentioning off Ricoh in the article, so no worry's. Pentax never had massproduct P&S camera's and those are the losers in this.

No talks about Samsung (well logical since it is about Japan), but in 5 years time they will have the largest marketshare.