Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Debating on a camera for this evening

New Years evening with my girlfriend. Thinking of bringing the K-30 with a 50mm f1.7, or my Q with the 8.5mm f1.9.

The K-30 has the better low light ability for sure, but this night is about us, not about photography... so I'm debating the Q for it's diminutive size. We will also be doing a lot of dancing, and leaving the camera in her gigantic bag of a purse for much of the night.

I'll get better shots with the K30. I'll worry less about the Q.
I'll get better shots with the K30. She won't be put off by me lugging around a big camera.

... but I'll get better shots with the K30...

Charles.

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 12-31-2013 at 02:43 PM.
12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Fourth of july evening with my girlfriend. Thinking of bringing the K-30 with a 50mm f1.7, or my Q with the 8.5mm f1.9.

The K-30 has the better low light ability for sure, but this night is about us, not about photography... so I'm debating the Q for it's diminutive size. We will also be doing a lot of dancing, and leaving the camera in her gigantic bag of a purse for much of the night.

I'll get better shots with the K30. She won't be put off by me lugging around a big camera.

Charles.
"Forth of July Evening"?
12-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
"Forth of July Evening"?
Why isn't your wing man dealing with the camera?
12-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no idea what happened with the 4th. Apparently my brain farted, and was no longer connected to my fingers.

Charles.

12-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no idea what happened with the 4th. Apparently my brain farted, and was no longer connected to my fingers.

Charles.
LOL.
12-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

honestly, leave ALL cameras at home, then you have no remorse. You won't become single from a big fight about the K30's presence and you won't sift through pictures with the Q and wonder what might have been had you had the K30.

Plus you can focus all your attention on the GF and not wondering when next photo op is.

Sometimes the camera is better left at home.

(-Learned from a few too many romantic sunsets spent setting up tripods and not enough canoodling)
12-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

CameraPhone!

Or...........Stop by a drugstore and get a Fuji Disposable, Tons of fun.

Then just have it developed and scanned to CD.
12-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

New Years evening with my girlfriend. Thinking of bringing the K-30 with a 50mm f1.7, or my Q with the 8.5mm f1.9.

Charles.
Debating on a camera for this evening

Charles.

If your girlfriend is really important to you, and I hope she is, then to hell with photography! Leave your cameras at home or at worst take a smart phone and forget you have it 99% of the time. Just enjoy the evening dancing with her, and make sure she knows by the end that she is special to you. Many people would want to be in your situation. Only take the K30 if your girlfriend has a similar camera and has the same enthusiasm, in which case both of you concentrate on pictures and not the dance floor and leave romance for later. If you have not come to that conclusion yourself by now you have got your priorities sadly wrong. In the long run friendship is more important than pictures.

12-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #9

Alternatively let her have her pick of camera to carry if she's into that. Maybe she'd like to carry the K-30 and let you have the Q. She should have a say in the matter too.
12-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Meh... why not test the relationship? Bring both the K-30 and the Q and your entire lens kit. Throw in a flash and tripod to ensure good shots in the dark. Swap her purse for a proper camera shoulder bag or backpack.

(Just kidding, Charles. I'd leave the camera gear at home and focus on your girl instead)

Happy New Year!

- Craig
01-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
brought the Q and one lens, just to get strangers to take pics of us together. That was a better plan

Charles.
01-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera for New Year's celebration party

I took a bag with:

K5II
Tamron 17-50 mm f 2.8
Sigma 30 mm f 1.4
Flash AF-360-FGZ
Canon G-12

These are both excellent low-light lens, so I never really needed the Pentax flash, but did use the on-camera flash for fill-in several times. As usual, the Tammy got the most use, with the Sigma used for several group shots toward midnight. The G-12 never left the bag.

Got some pretty good keepers with the setup. Here are two, one with the Tammy and the last one (girl in polka-dot dress) with the Sigma. No post processing for either.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo