Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another idea for Pentax to add to K20D

In case Pentax reads these here is my suggestion for a firmware upgrade, if possible, or at least a camera upgrade. ( The firmware updates for the istDs were cool so I think it could be done)

When taking sports shots I turn off AF on the shutter button and solely use the AF button on the back. The main reason is that I want to keep my finger on the shutter button to keep SR going, as being sports photos you never know when you're going to press the button right down and you can't wait for SR to kick in. I have accidently pressed too far and taken photos when I didn't want to, so it's bit of a pain.

So how about an option to keep SR turned on permanently? It may use more battery, but so be it. That would be uber cool, turn it on at the start of the game, and off at the end. C'mon we can get these cameras on the sidelines!!

04-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

good thinking!

pentax takes over sports.....someday. 8)
04-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Seems like a good idea but would have to have some sort of 'time out' or the SR might be on too long. It might wear it out too fast. Just a user setting on the camera like 1, 3, 5 & 10 minutes and able to re active with a half press of the shutter button.
04-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

While we're at it, I want the Ev comp (AE-L) to stay on whether the meter shuts off or not. It would be good for sports as well. Say the field is green but the jersey's are white. If the meter is giving exposures that blow out the jersey's then I'd like to be able to take a meter reading that has the jersey's exposed correctly and lock it in for as long as I want it. 30 seconds (till the meter shuts off between uses) is far to short.. This should be available in all modes including "M" to make Manual a true "Hyper Manual" setting.

04-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yep, to be able to set and forget a few things while shooting sports would be good, as there is so much to think about and react to, and quickly.
04-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't see the point in letting SR on all the time. As long as it works when you take the picture, everything is fine. Unless I missed something in your point...
04-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You mean to say the Pentax has removed the ability to de-couple AF from the shutter button? It is possible to do that on every Pentax DSLR out there. Once I figured out how to do it I never looked back. There was no mention of how to de-couple the shutter in the normal manual verbage on either my *ist Ds or K10D. However, if you look carefully in the manual discussions on the custom menu's there should be a item in there on AF button.

On the K10D custom menu:
set the "AF Button Function" to 1 -> Enable the AF button
set the "AF by Press Halfway" to 2 -> Off - AF will not operate when shutter release button is pressed halfway.

There should be similar verbage on the K20D (which I do not have). If this functionality is not there - then I will never buy a K20D nor any other Pentax camera that does not allow the "AF" button to activate AutoFocus. ---- good grief.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
04-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
In case Pentax reads these here is my suggestion for a firmware upgrade, if possible, or at least a camera upgrade. ( The firmware updates for the istDs were cool so I think it could be done)

When taking sports shots I turn off AF on the shutter button and solely use the AF button on the back. The main reason is that I want to keep my finger on the shutter button to keep SR going, as being sports photos you never know when you're going to press the button right down and you can't wait for SR to kick in. I have accidently pressed too far and taken photos when I didn't want to, so it's bit of a pain.

So how about an option to keep SR turned on permanently? It may use more battery, but so be it. That would be uber cool, turn it on at the start of the game, and off at the end. C'mon we can get these cameras on the sidelines!!

i feel like this is such a good idea.
when i am on assignment for ANY mag i shoot for or ANY wedding, i can find myself sweating from my side of the lens. i watch that little "hand" telling me its time to shoot.....

permanent on SR would be RAD!!!

Peter Zack has a point: auto SR off at 30sec, 1 min, etc.....good idea

QuoteQuote:
You mean to say the Pentax has removed the ability to de-couple AF from the shutter button? It is possible to do that on every Pentax DSLR out there. Once I figured out how to do it I never looked back. There was no mention of how to de-couple the shutter in the normal manual verbage on either my *ist Ds or K10D. However, if you look carefully in the manual discussions on the custom menu's there should be a item in there on AF button.

On the K10D custom menu:
set the "AF Button Function" to 1 -> Enable the AF button
set the "AF by Press Halfway" to 2 -> Off - AF will not operate when shutter release button is pressed halfway.

There should be similar verbage on the K20D (which I do not have). If this functionality is not there - then I will never buy a K20D nor any other Pentax camera that does not allow the "AF" button to activate AutoFocus. ---- good grief.

dude
i think you are misunderstanding.
(btw I respect every one of your posts)

the OP is referring to the SR functions and only wishes that they remain permanently turned on according to the custom functions i.e. peter zack's 30sec, 1min, etc....

by leaving the SR functioning, pentax would give some shooters a great advantage. that includes me, a wedding shooter, adn the OP, a sports shooter....

04-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah that's right, having to keep your finger on the button to activate SR is a pain when you're following players all over the field. I find myself pressing too hard occassionally and taking a picture when I didn't mean to. I do turn off the AF on the shutter button and use the AF button instead, so therefore I'm pressing both buttons at the same time often - aaauuugghhhh. To not have to keep the shutter button half pressed would be a real relief.
04-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

btw can i chime in again with built in radio systems that are are built in to the grip? 8)
04-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It sounds like a good Idea, and I hope you have more success than I have had in getting them to add a teleconverter correction factor, for SR or in correcting the exposure issues on the K10D with manual lenses.
04-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
btw can i chime in again with built in radio systems that are are built in to the grip? 8)
No sorry , you can't.

Damn! Too late.
04-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

No sorry , you can't.

Damn! Too late.

im one fast mutha
04-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
correct - I did not read the OP correctly

Yeah that's right, having to keep your finger on the button to activate SR is a pain when you're following players all over the field. I find myself pressing too hard occassionally and taking a picture when I didn't mean to. I do turn off the AF on the shutter button and use the AF button instead, so therefore I'm pressing both buttons at the same time often - aaauuugghhhh. To not have to keep the shutter button half pressed would be a real relief.
Add into this "MJB Digital" I do apologize for ranting away. That said:

I do not think that Pentax would really do such a thing - sort of a manual invocation of SR. Since SR is trying to keep the sensor still with reference to a given point in space, if you took the camera away from your eye - and say pointed it to the ground, what would SR do to the sensor? Have it slam into the extreme catches of the SR system, or would it have to understand that when the sensor is moved beyond the capabilities of the system that it would shut off to avoid potential damage?

It does take some physical time for SR to kick in and since I do not really know how shake is measured - I can not comment further on why it takes as long as it does and what the physical limits are. I do not think that keeping SR running for protracted periods of time would be a good thing. I am not worried at all about wearing out SR, I think the shutter button on the K10D has poor tactile feedback and I could see where large movements with SR engaged could potentially cause issues.

Since I do not shoot sports, it is not a problem I deal with. I have shot moving things (horses, cars, bicycles, runners etc) and for the most part when shooting things that move I turn SR off. (I am trying to blur things anyway).

04-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, during Live View, the SR is on all the time.