Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nikon mount Vivitar on K100DS

My wife decided she did not want my old Nikon mount Vivitar Series 1 90mm 2.5 Macro (she is new, and reluctant to try manual focus). I thought about selling this beauty that I used 15 years ago with my Nikkormat, I remembered a rumor that old Nikon mounts can fit on Pentax upside down.
I gingerly tried it on my K100DS, and it worked! Check out the sharpness of the attached photo. What do you think?

Attached Images

04-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yep, they work! Even have infinity focus.

Not what I'd call a secure fit, but it's ok
04-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

TDMSU,
Remember to check the depth that the baffles go into the camera body. The lens focus motor pins are 8.0mm deep. The right side of the body has 8.5mm clearance. Some lenses won't work because of excessive pentaration. Some examples are the 20mm f3.5, 105mm f2.5. I used the 55mm f3.5 micro,35mm f2.0 and 200mm f4.0. Insert the lens in the Pentax body with the index dot at the bottom of the mount. Infinity focus is spot on, because appeture ring is positioned exactly right and rest against the PK mount. The actual Nikon mount is recesses 1.0mm. Don't over tighten and take care not to loose the lens since it isn't locked in position.

Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 04-26-2008 at 12:48 PM.
04-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does this work with old nikon mount lenses only?

04-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

AXL,
I think that you can use AI and AIS lenses, but I have only my non-AI lenses to try. The non- AI lenses appetture overlaps the mount surface by 1.0mm, which is the spacing needed to properly fit the lens to the Pentax. This holds the lens 1.0mm away from the camera mount and supports the lens. The AI and AIS mounts have this overlap cut away on much of the ring, but the remaining portion should support the lens. I have always used my Nikon F2 and non-AI lenses in the past. I switched to Pentax digital SLR,because the Nikon DSLR's that I could afford don't provide exposure control with old lenses. Some won't even except them without damaging the camera,like the D70. Canon compatability is even worse. You can't just upgrade your body and use your lens investment. Nikon lenses are wonderful pieces of glass.

Dave
04-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
Is it possible to modify the lens by swapping the mount with one from a Tokina pentax mount?
If so, does anyone know where I would find a for-parts tokina that I can use?
Any other suggestions for making the connection more secure?

Thanks for the feedback!
04-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tdmsu Quote
Is it possible to modify the lens by swapping the mount with one from a Tokina pentax mount?
If so, does anyone know where I would find a for-parts tokina that I can use?
Any other suggestions for making the connection more secure?

Thanks for the feedback!
I purchased a box of ten new M42 adapters for $75 off Ebay. Thease make a great source for bayonets in my conversions. The things to remember when converting a MF Nikon to K-mount are. The mount flange must fill the void inside the appeture ring, so that the ring just clears the camera mount when mounted. This will give you full infinity focus. The diaphram lever tension spring is often attached to the back side of the bayonet flange, so you will need to reattach it in some manner. This is necessary,so that the appeture stays put in use. The new mount flange needs to be 2.5mm thick. Of course it will need to be drilled for three screw holes using the Nikon bayonet as a template. The holes will then need to be counter sunk to allow the screw heads to be flush with the mounting surface. Cheap lenses can often be found on Ebay or at pawn shops.

Dave