Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grainny / Noisy K10D Viewfinder?

I was hoping to come here and ask why my new K10D viewfinder looks grainny / sorta noisy and the answer would be a protective film that I should remove somewhere...

After doing a quick research, it seems like it is normal on the pentaprims:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3198-k10d-viewfinder-question.html

It is very weird, because my film SLr had crystal clear viewfinder and a week ago when I first held a K100D super I felt like the viewfinder was also crystal clear.

On my viewfinder I can easily see the grainny / noisy stuff while pointing to a white surface.

So I guess this is normal and part of package, right?

04-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #2

I think so, mine is the same.
04-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The viewfinder in the K10D is brighter than in the K100D which has a Pentamirror viewfinder. Also the K10D has a brighter focusing screen than other models. I don't notice much difference between the K10D and my MZ-S or SF-1.
04-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The viewfinder in the K10D is brighter than in the K100D which has a Pentamirror viewfinder. Also the K10D has a brighter focusing screen than other models. I don't notice much difference between the K10D and my MZ-S or SF-1.

I had the impression the K100D had a very bright viewfinder. The Ritz store where I tried the K100D is near me, so i may go back with my K10D and compare them side-by-side.

04-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

depends on the quality of the lens
04-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
depends on the quality of the lens

The K100D i tried a while ago had the kit lens on it and my K10D also has the same kit lens.

04-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Are you seeing the matte finish on the viewfinder? There's a swirly pattern, sort of like a large fingerprint, on the focus screen that's not obvious, but if you look at against a solid subject, you'll notice it.
04-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I thought it had to do with the optical previewmode.

04-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Inactive Account

It is less about the quality of the lens and more about the brightness of the lens. The smaller the maximum aperture the darker the viewfinder. The darker the viewfinder the more you see the matte screen. If you put a split screen in your camera some lenses will actually cause half of the focus circle to go black if you don't have your eye perfectly centered.
04-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I know this is not probable but any chance of a photo of the Grainy viewfinder.

I ave used SLRs for more than 25 years and I find the K10D to be one of the brightest sharpest view finders I have ever used.

this covers Pentax KX, Richo XR-2s, Pentax PZ-1, Pentax *istD and now K10D.

You have to remember the viewfinder will never be as clear as , perhaps binoculars, because you are not viewing the image with your eyes but off a matt focusing screen as a projected image, but overall, the immage is very good and very bright.

p.s. the image must, by design be a projected image on a screne for an SLR to work, otherwise your own eyesight would impact the focusing.
04-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Inactive Account

the k10d definately is a bit grainy. i've just got used to it - it used to annoy me. even at f/1.7 it is noticable to me on some surfaces/lighting conditions. i assumed it's fairly normal or reviewers and so on would have picked up on it... i don't really have enough experience to know otherwise!
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #12

The "grain" is due to the "matte bright" style of the focusing screen. It's more noticeable at lower f-stops and in darker environments where there is less light going to the viewfinder.

Using my manual lenses, I've noticed that the grain doesn't show until I hit about F/8 or F/11, depending on the lighting.
04-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Fireball is on the money..
05-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote

I was hoping to come here and ask why my new K10D viewfinder looks grainny / sorta noisy and the answer would be a protective film that I should remove somewhere...

After doing a quick research, it seems like it is normal on the pentaprims:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3198-k10d-viewfinder-question.html

It is very weird, because my film SLr had crystal clear viewfinder and a week ago when I first held a K100D super I felt like the viewfinder was also crystal clear.

On my viewfinder I can easily see the grainny / noisy stuff while pointing to a white surface.

So I guess this is normal and part of package, right?
I've noticed the same when using my new K100D Super with the kit lens. At the wide angle faint fingerprint contours can be seen, whilst zooming in causes the viewfinder to become grainier in appearance.

I can't say that it detracts from my pleasure in using the camera, and in a strange kind of way I'm relieved that it's not only me that sees the 'fingerprint' and grain!!
05-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #15

Dirt on screen

I have noticed some dirt on my viewing screen. Can not blow it off with lens removed, so it must be under the screen between it and the viewfinder.

I just live with it. Other than that it is much brighter than my old manual Pentax SLR SV