Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mel,
I don't know about your area, but here in Alamo City the local authorized Pentax repair shop wil give free estimates. Since you live on the eastcoast, their must be many repair shops near you. Shop around and you may be surprised. Pit one shop against another. Since this is just a simple parts replacement, they should be able to give a better price, then if the camera didn't function at all. It sounds like the camera landed on the lens first, the hit the penta prism. It could have been much worse if the body had struct first. Since the camera still works, you have time to explore your options. Good luck.

Dave

04-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #17
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the sympathies and advice. I took it into the shop where I purchased it (first of all to buy a new lens) and they said that it would probably be about $300 to repair judging from others they have seen like it. I also took in a couple sample prints done post-droppage and based on what they were seeing and what I was saying, said it didn't seem to affect the shooting and function.

Okay the damage does kinda bug me a little but does it bug me $300 worth? Ummm, no. I paid $500 for the thing after the rebate. It seems to shoot fine so I'm going to leave it. If the flash gets to where it just will not stay down a little electical tape will probably take care of that (is this sacrelige?).

The lens was interesting. That thing just shattered apart. I don't know how many times my K1000 with it's metal-housed 50mm lens took a tumble. Nothing. I think I could hurl that thing against a wall and it would probaby come out of it just fine.

The best part of today's adventures was learning that I'm not the stupidest person in the area. Another customer a while back had left his camera bag behind the car then proceeded to run over it. I felt a whole lot better about myself after hearing that.

Thanks again.
04-11-2008, 04:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Mel,

First of all, sorry about the damage to your "baby". I know you are in VA (I'm in Gainesville) and you mentioned you bought your camera from Penn Camera. Were you happy with them? I have one near me in Fairfax, and I was thinking about buying some items from them. Just curious about your dealings with them.
04-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
Forum Member

Did you use a filter to protect your lens? A filter with brass ring may have been able to save your lens.

04-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #20
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I wish I could upload a photo of the lens. I have a super slow connection and I lose patience with the uploading process about about 15 minutes. Yes I mean minutes. Literally. I wish I could just copy and paste.

The lens had cp filter attached at the time of the droppage and that came away unscathed, as did all the glass optics on the lens. It was the casing, the body of the lens that came to pieces. Everywhere there was a joint, it had broken apart. It was originally in 3 pieces but with my insatiable curiosity I fiddled with it to see how the whole thing worked and went together. Now it's in 4. With the way it came apart I don't think a brass ring would have saved it. I think manufacturing like in the "good ol' days" might have. Nothing is as durable as it used to be anymore. It's all the plastic. Bummer about that.

Penn camera - I've only been in twice. Once for my purchase and once for my droppage. I went to the one in Springfield. In spite of the fact that they had the words Canon and Nikon on the outside of the store they seemed pretty knowledgeable and have had in stock what I wanted to get. They are probably a little spendier than say an online vendor but when buying expensive stuff I like to handle it a little first. When I went in to buy they let me play with any camera I wanted to, then when I went back they let me play with the K20D they had there on display even though I was a self-professed camera-dropper. And they didn't even laugh at me when I told them what I did. Well not too hard anyway.

I'll definitely go back to buy again. But it's worth a phone call first to find out if they have in stock what you want to buy.
04-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

@mel:

Thanks for the Penn Camera info. I'm going to the one at Fair Lakes shopping center (near Fair Oaks) mall tomorrow to pick up a tripod. I looked at them there a week ago, and should have bought it then. I have a night shoot Monday (my camera club), and don't have time to order on-line.