Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My Dream of a K20D, crushed.....

Yes, crushed. Literally! I recently retired and my wife purchased a K20D for me as a gift. No one was home on Monday when they tried to deliver it so my wife went to the UPS place to pick it up yesterday. the box was totally crushed. It was torn open in one spot and it was obvious that all the air pillow type cushioning was all flat. She told me it sounded like broken pieces of the camrea were lose in the box. Needless to say she refused delivery. The person at the counter actually suggested it. Now its on its way back. We are still checking on replacement turn around. Needless to say I'm a bit disapointed.

04-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a real nuisance. I've had similar experiences with non camera equipment. fortunately the vendor sent a replacement before the broken pkg was received. hopefully you will get similar service
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Definitely a bummer. If it's any consolation it's well worth the wait.....
04-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's crushed but at least you'll get another one, just cross your fingers and hope this one shows up all pieces togther.

04-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Can't say that surprises me. UPS backed a truck over a bread machine I was sending to my sister once. How they managed to back over a box so big is beyond me. But, it was flat and had wonderfully defined tire marks on it.

What I don't get is why they even bother to deliver stuff in this condition. Are they really that lame that they can't tell something is wrong when you can slide a box with a bread machine under your door?

John
04-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That's UPS! I gladly pay a couple bucks more for USPS from B&H, for example. Plus, my mail carrier is cool and the UPS drivers may or may not ring the buzzer or leave a note. Depends if they feel like it or not.

One time I packed a metal fan impeller wheel, about 10" in diameter (used to pack UPS shipments). It was going next day, red label...so I made sure to pack it well. A couple co-workers wondered why I packed it so carefully, and I said it was a rush.

Come in the next day...guess what? I get to pack another! They destroyed what's basically a chunk of metal. We were trying to even bend the new one with our hands...nothing. They must have backed over it or did an old-fashioned air drop and forgot the parachute.

You should have seen some of packages we got off the UPS truck. If we didn't need em, they wouldn't have been signed for.

I refuse to give UPS any business after seeing what they do to packages, and cringe everytime I know a package will get sent with them.
04-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Shipped a 105# 15" subwoofer (just the driver no cabinet) by UPS. They managed to drop it so hard it broke the Cast basket! It was mounted on its on wood pallet. They said it wasn't packed well enough. It was packed the same way the company sent it. At the time there were only 4 of these woofers in existence. We had 2 and another competitor had 2. Ouch.
thanks
barondla
04-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well that's a bummer. Sit tight. You'll get another one ASAP.

04-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Forum Member

I recently enjoyed a video I found on digg of a DHL delivery man who delivered packages by throwing them from his truck on the street to the front doors of those he's delivering to. National post service is definitely the way to go - at least in Canada they make ridiculously good money and tend to be very amiable while making their rounds.
04-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
That's UPS! I gladly pay a couple bucks more for USPS from B&H, for example. Plus, my mail carrier is cool and the UPS drivers may or may not ring the buzzer or leave a note. Depends if they feel like it or not.

One time I packed a metal fan impeller wheel, about 10" in diameter (used to pack UPS shipments). It was going next day, red label...so I made sure to pack it well. A couple co-workers wondered why I packed it so carefully, and I said it was a rush.

Come in the next day...guess what? I get to pack another! They destroyed what's basically a chunk of metal. We were trying to even bend the new one with our hands...nothing. They must have backed over it or did an old-fashioned air drop and forgot the parachute.

You should have seen some of packages we got off the UPS truck. If we didn't need em, they wouldn't have been signed for.

I refuse to give UPS any business after seeing what they do to packages, and cringe everytime I know a package will get sent with them.
I worked in a post office main warehouse for a short period of time. You can't begin to imagine the way i saw pkgs being handled (like footballs on a regular basis). I have had the same broken delivery from the post office as ups. You want to make sure that anything you buy thru mail order is insured or returnable if it arrives damaged. OR buy local from a reputable dealer.
04-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Forum Member

I remember a long time ago I tried to break a piece of steel pipe. However, I was unable to because I didn't have the necessary tools. So, I boxed it up & dropped it off at a local UPS store with my own address as the destination. It arrived the next day. Yup, it was busted up nicely. Good ol' UPS never lets ya down...