Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera back-ups

Hi and Happy New Year,

I am not a professional, just photo enthusiast. Presently own k7 and k01. My wife generally uses k01, also better for higher ISO. Am I better off looking for good used k5 or wait on a used k5ii or k5iis? I would keep the k7 since prices dropped and still good camera. I have several lenses to use on both the k7 and k01.
There is definite image quality difference with k01, but not unhappy with k7 quality.
Maybe other option on camera, but now used to using k7. Not going to purchase k3.

Thanks, Kiteman

01-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiteman Quote
Am I better off looking for good used k5 or wait on a used k5ii or k5iis?
If you're happy with your K-7, you probably won't ever notice a difference between the K-5 and K-5 II in practice, so I think looking for the K-5 classic would be fine. The K-5 sensor is noticeably better than the one in the K-7, though, so I think you'll quickly make the K-7 your backup body

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-5 For Me!

Hello kiteman,
I agree with Adam.
Put me down for a classic K-5 as the choice for your situation. I also have a K-7 and was very happy with this capable camera, except for image quality and noise above ISO 800 or so. A used K-5 'Classic' and all my problems solved! The K-5's ISO 3200 photos look about as good as the K-7's ISO 800's and I'm not kidding, it's that much better.
The other great thing is...no new-camera 'learning curve'. Everything's in the same place, works the same way. Ergonomics, settings, BG, all the same.
Aside from the K-3, I'd say the K-5 is the best upgrade and makes a perfect two-camera setup with the K-7.
Good luck!
Ron
01-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To be honest the better AF in the K-5 II may totally be worth the wait for you. It really depends on what you want to do with it... if I could I would have gotten the K-5 II (bought the K-5 just when the II was released, the II was too expensive at that time, and I _needed_ a new camera).

01-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
To be honest the better AF in the K-5 II may totally be worth the wait for you.
I agree; my K5 has front focusing issues under tungesten light conditions basically rendering it useles under those conditions.
01-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I agree; my K5 has front focusing issues under tungesten light conditions basically rendering it useles under those conditions.
...if you use it under those conditions, I agree. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Another thing, and I ask because I don't know; is the K-5 supposed to have the same problems with other kinds of artificial lights? Such as fluorescent lights or halogen? I haven't noticed any such problems with mine, and with the tungsten bulbs fast disappearing (at least in Europe) I don't really see them as a problem any more.
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Chose the K5

Hi to all,

Thank you for the input. I purchased a good, used K5. Now will have K01 and K7 as backups.
Thank goodness no more researching--------
. It's tiring!

No more camera bodies or lenses for loooooonnnnnnnggggggg time.

Thanks again,

KIteman

01-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations!

Good deal, Kiteman, let us know how it works for you!
Ron
01-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
K5 & k7

Hi Ron,

Do you use the same settings for both cameras or some difference in K7 vs K5?

Thanks,

Larry
www.colorthewind.org
01-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Same

Hi Larry,
I use all the same settings so far, but I've stopped using the K-7 at higher ISO's. Also, I don't know if the K-5 had any A/F upgrades, but it seems to focus slightly faster than the K-7, with all the same lenses. Might be my imagination, but maybe not.
Ron
01-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Check to see that you have the latest firmware.