Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax SMC DA 16-50 -- Do I have a problem?

Greeting Pentaxians -- First post here, as I am just getting back into photography after many years.

I recently bought a new Pentax SMC DA* Series 16-50mm f/2.8 E to pair with my new K5iix. I've had them both for a couple weeks and am having a blast getting back in the creative groove.

My question is whether or not my new lens has a quality issue. While my images are very sharp and the lens focuses very well, I have noticed a little bit of play or wobble in the last segment (tube) of the leans when it is fully extended. It doesn't wobble on its own, but with a little nudge from my hand, I can detect some play - maybe 1/16th of an inch or so.

When the lens is fully contracted, there is no play.

So my question is whether nor not this is a problem that I need to be concerned about.

Will you follow DA* 16-50 owners let me know what you think?

Thanks!

01-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
You can wobble any lens if you try hard enough
I dont know if the Pentax *DA 16-50mm lenses normally wobble or not (probably another poster can give you experience with this), but I would mostly watch out for its optical quality. Try looking at photos to see if maybe one half of the frame is blurred or significantly softer than the other side. In that case, it might have a problem.
01-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has always wobbled a bit. The DA 17-70 is quite similar in this respect. In either case, that's never been a problem. I recall seeing this question asked a few times before here.
01-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Mine's wobble a bit like yours but never broke down or increase dust/water accumulation. When used in heavy rain (yes super heavy rain) the water will enter zoom tubes and cause some friction (due to suction?) but when dried the lens acts normal again. Don't think you need to worry.

01-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the repsoneses

I appreciate the feedback. Now I'll quit worrying and take a bunch of pics and monitor performance.

Thanks again.