Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 Failure

I regret to say, the first time I've had a camera fail me was on December 30th this year. I though I would share my experience. I was in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan at Whitefish Point. The temperature was hovering right around 0F and the wind was howling as I was stanging right on the "beach". The previous year I was at the same spot with conditions even worse without any failures, but this time I regret to say this was not the case. The k5 was great, but the k7 was struggling to focus. Even worse, if my hand slightly even touched the shutter button, it would start activate the shutter sounding like it was in burst mode, but would never take a picture. In order to take a picture, I had to shut the camera off, turn it back on, and hope it would work. Perhaps it was the cold, or maybe the snow and water from the surf that had begun freezing on the lens and body caused the issues, who knows.This is the first time I've had something like that occur, but once I got the camera warmed back up a bit, no problems. Perhaps it is nearing the end of its life, I've had it a while now, but shes been a good one, and keeps on clicking. Viva la K7!!

01-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjeling Quote
I regret to say, the first time I've had a camera fail me was on December 30th this year. I though I would share my experience. I was in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan at Whitefish Point. The temperature was hovering right around 0F and the wind was howling as I was stanging right on the "beach". The previous year I was at the same spot with conditions even worse without any failures, but this time I regret to say this was not the case. The k5 was great, but the k7 was struggling to focus. Even worse, if my hand slightly even touched the shutter button, it would start activate the shutter sounding like it was in burst mode, but would never take a picture. In order to take a picture, I had to shut the camera off, turn it back on, and hope it would work. Perhaps it was the cold, or maybe the snow and water from the surf that had begun freezing on the lens and body caused the issues, who knows.This is the first time I've had something like that occur, but once I got the camera warmed back up a bit, no problems. Perhaps it is nearing the end of its life, I've had it a while now, but shes been a good one, and keeps on clicking. Viva la K7!!
0F (-18C) is outside of the camera's specified operating temperature (-10C to +40C), so this isn't all that shocking IMO. I'm happy to hear your camera didn't break once it was warmed up, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-09-2014, 03:27 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could it be your K-7 battery? The AF needs to have a solid battery output to work fine. In very cold weather the battery depletes very rapidly, more than at standard temperature. In addition, did you use your original K-7 battery? In the affirmative, the pb may be your battery, not your camera. And that would be good news for you.

My 5 cents...
01-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
It could have been anything really. All I know is it works now. Whatever the case may be that failure mode has never surfaced before and it hasn't repeated so its really just a non issue. Wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced the same failure.

01-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-x has survived temperatures below 0F (-18C) without any other problems than lens fogging.
Usually when cold the humidity drops indoor as well.

Seb