Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade to K10 or K200?

New to the forum...looking to upgrade from my K100D super to a 10mp pentax dslr. Wondering if anyone out there has any advice. Sticking with the K100D is also an option. Have read the K10D has a slew of ISO options, where the K200 might be a little bit more like the K100. Not sure if that is true though.

also, does the K10 have the raw button on the camera body as opposed to having to go into the menus to switch from jpeg to raw? thanks for any advice!

04-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think this has been discussed before.
You might try doing a search on the forums.

A run down of what you get with the K10 that you do not get with the k200D:

-bigger body
-second dial
-pentaprism viewfinder (instead of pentamirror)
-bigger buffer for continuous shooting
-better continuous shooting (3 fps for [i forgot how many] frames vs 2.8 frames for 5 jpegs)

That's the most obvious differences. There may be others, but I might have overlooked them.
04-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can also buy the K10D used for about $200 less than the K200D.

The downside is that the camera is used.
04-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
New to the forum...looking to upgrade from my K100D super to a 10mp pentax dslr. Wondering if anyone out there has any advice. Sticking with the K100D is also an option. Have read the K10D has a slew of ISO options, where the K200 might be a little bit more like the K100. Not sure if that is true though.

also, does the K10 have the raw button on the camera body as opposed to having to go into the menus to switch from jpeg to raw? thanks for any advice!
Yes, K10D has a RAW button, very conveniently placed though.

Now the price of the K10D keeps increasing despite the price of K20D is decreasing, and you are already missed the chance to get K10D at its lowest price. You are now still have the K100D Super, if I was you, I would hang on for couple more months and get the K20D when its price down below 1K mark. Then there may be a rebate to sweeten the price.

04-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
Forum Member

Not a lot of love for the K200 here

K200 has advantages too!
Much improved Jpegs straight from the camera - much closer to RAW than any previous Pentax Camera. No VPN to spoil your high ISO RAW shots either. More noise reduction options. Improved RAW button. Improved LCD and menus. Improved in-camera processing and image preview. Smaller size and weight. EDR. AA batteries (not a plus to everyone). Flash is improved. And guess what, the presence of those scene modes doesn't take away from any of these advantages. Pentamirror is a definite minus, but I really haven't noticed that much difference compared to my *ist D. And the second control wheel is highly overrated unless you are shooting weddings or similar. K200 is highly recommended.
04-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As mentioned, a better upgrade is to the K20D.
Well worth the wait...
04-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wasupdoc Quote
K200 has advantages too!
Much improved Jpegs straight from the camera - much closer to RAW than any previous Pentax Camera. No VPN to spoil your high ISO RAW shots either. More noise reduction options. Improved RAW button. Improved LCD and menus. Improved in-camera processing and image preview. Smaller size and weight. EDR. AA batteries (not a plus to everyone). Flash is improved. And guess what, the presence of those scene modes doesn't take away from any of these advantages. Pentamirror is a definite minus, but I really haven't noticed that much difference compared to my *ist D. And the second control wheel is highly overrated unless you are shooting weddings or similar. K200 is highly recommended.
I must concur with this poster. I was having problems with my K100 and just decided to upgrade and went with the K200 because it is similar to what I'm used to in the K100, but has many of the advantages of the K10 like the RAW button, the green button (which I'm still figuring out) and sensor. There is no comparison in image quality between the K100 and K200. The K200 blows it's older sibling out of the water. It seems that the K200 is the best of both older cameras rolled into one except for the Pentamirror vs. Pentaprism thing. So far I'm very happy with my K200. For you it depends on your needs.
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

With the way the price on the k20d is going, I'd hold out a couple more months and see where that ends up.

04-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

A newbie to this forum myself, and faced a similar upgrade dilemma from my 6MP Samsung GX-1L (aka Pentax *ist DL2).

As I wanted to upgrade now, waiting for the K20D to fall in price wasn't a realistic option and at over 700 currently it was way beyond my budget. Dismissing the K200D was more difficult as it has many of the features I was looking for but lacks the level of control that the K10/K20 bodies have.

So a K10D was the remaining option, moreso when I discovered that I could buy a brand new body only for 359.

I have had it just over a week and so far am very pleased with my purchase. These are the immediate benefits I have noted over the GX-1L

Very obviously faster AF and shot to shot speed
Better metering - far less tendancy to underexpose
Improved handling - two e-dials and more dedicated buttons (less menu access needed)

The only thing I like less than the GX-1L is the shutter release - it has a much shorter travel and less obvious mid-point making swapping between the two cameras a bit of an challenge.

I'm sure other pro's and con's will come to light as I use it more. One thing that did give me slight concern were the numerous reviews and user comments which stated that K10D JPEG quality wasn't exceptional. Having upped the contrast and sharpness settings from the defaults in Natural mode (the same as I had done on the GX-1L) I have to say that I have no complaints at all - colours are bright and punchy and detail is very well resolved. It is interesting that the one review I have read of the K200D so far states that it's JPEG quality (supposedly an area of improvement) is indistinguishable from that of the K10D.

So I am well pleased with my upgrade and would commend the K10D as a very viable option whilst it remains available.
04-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll hang onto the K100D super...wasn't sure I could really part with it anyway. If the right opportunity comes along, I will try to get any of the other 3 depending on price. Thanks again!