Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You want to expose to use up every available light level, because the largest gradations are in the highlights, not the shadows. Underexposed shadows are where we find digital noise. My solution to this is to turn on the "blinkies", the flashing over/under exposure warnings, and bring the exposure up to where I get one or two tiny blinks in specular highlights where I expect no detail.

how do you turn on the blinking highlights? I was trying to figure that one out

04-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
Has anyone sent their K10D in for this? I sent mine in and they just sent it back out, I should get it on Monday....I'm dying to see if they fixed it.
I sent in one of my K10D bodies for a backfocus problem. Exposure was fine (more or less). They fixed the backfocus problem but also updated the firmware to the latest version. Now the camera consistently underexposes by .7 to one stop so I have exposure comp set to +.7. I shoot RAW exclusively so it's not really a problem. I suppose I could return it to Pentax but frankly I'd rather not risk potential damage while the camera is in transit. I can live with the underexposure. Still, I wonder about this since it seems to be a fairly widespread issue with Pentax.

Richard
04-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
how do you turn on the blinking highlights? I was trying to figure that one out
Menu button - Playback Mode - Playback Display - Checkmark in the Bright/Dark area box. You insert the checkmark (or clear it) by using the arrow navigation button (either left or right will work.

Overexposed areas will blink red; underexposed areas will blink yellow. You can also display the histogram by pressing the playback button, then pressing the Info button until the histogram shows.

Richard

Last edited by Old Timer 56; 04-12-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Clarity