Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
I use flash A LOT! Even the on-board flash - even outside as needed. I simply prefer the clarity that a fill flash offers.

Inside I load up the hotshoe and bounce flash. The direct light of the built-in flash is just a bit harsh in some situations.
I also use the on-board flash for fill outdoors and to put catch lights in the eyes. For indoor portraits, I use it to trigger one or two Vivitar 283 flashes, sometimes bounced (but not in the camera's hotshoe), sometimes with umbrellas. Exposure on the camera is set to Manual and the settings themselves are from a flash meter, though sometimes I'll just use the Auto option on the 283. Works fine if you know what you are doing.

One other item - a Wein digital peanut slave sensor to ignore the Pentax pre-flash.

Richard

04-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arthur pappas Quote
For what ever reason I cannot explain I seem to have flash phobia & avoid using the flash at all costs. No matter what photo I'm composing if it looks like crap I'll continue to fiddle with any/all other parameters & don't even entertain the thought of using the flash. Now maybe I haven't gotten myself into a situation where I am absolutely forced to use the flash or risk not taking the shot at all. But so far I tell ya I just don't like to use it. Hell, I think I've only ever used it once or twice on the first day I bought my camera.

What gives?
haha i'm totally anti-flash but sometimes in the dark, there's no choice esp for pictures of people. i think i'm gonna try taping something over the built-in flash to act as a cheap diffuser to soften it up and then increase the Flash EV Compensation and see how that works

and i think getting an external flash is kinda clunky to work with as well and would make me stand out
04-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find if there really isn't enough light then i'll stick the flash on slow speed and trailing curtain to get some more atmospheric photos although not everyone like it. I think it brings the colours back.

See some recent examples of nights where I've done both.

Edward James Alexander Stone's Photos - Party For Peace | Facebook

Edward James Alexander Stone's Photos - More - Party For Peace | Facebook (part 2)

Edward James Alexander Stone's Photos - Josh's Party | Facebook

Edward James Alexander Stone's Photos - More from Josh's Party | Facebook (part 2)
04-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I'm an "available light" shooter myself. What that really means is that I just don't know how to properly use a flash.
likewise but really I hate flash

04-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

With toddlers, I have no choice but to use flash indoors, as even a fast lens will not be able to freeze their non-stop action.

If you use Bounce flash off a normal-height ceiling which is White or neutral Gray (most homes would fit that category) , it will give a creamy skin tone which doesn't have the "Flash look". The AF360 and AF540 can do an excellent job with Bounce flash.

Last edited by kittykat46; 04-13-2008 at 02:18 AM.
04-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Quality flash is beautiful

Hi all,

I myself tend to shoot available light as possible, but imho it depends alot on your ext flash using skills - I used to hate flashguns ..

Just check this wonderful site of wedding phot.
planet neil
04-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

my main problem is I don't have a flash unit just on camera flash, I did some sort of modelling pictures of a friend in my bedroom and had no choice but to use flash and the results were terrible as I was at close range I suppose a proper flash and better lighting would help.
04-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just got home from some days off work & spent the morning reading thru all the responses. A big thank you to all those that took the time to offer advice. I've bookmarked Strobist & will make my way over there when I can find a spare moment. Kittykat that is a great shot!