Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Does anyone still have their *ist D

I just got my original *ist D back from my daughter and son-in-law. I took a test shot yesterday to make sure it's still working. Wow, I'm surprised at the colors and sharpness that it captures! even though it's only 6MP. I'll be shooting with it over the next couple weeks and posting some photos comparing it to the K-3, just for grins.

01-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, and mine still gets a lot of use! I use it primarily with manual-focus lenses, which work well because of the *istD's large viewfinder and accurate stop-down metering. Still a great little camera!
01-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes and it's still in pristine shape. I shoot it monthly and will never sell it. For me it's one of the Finest Cameras Pentax has made.
01-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately my Ist D only works when the batteries are very low so I don't really get any use out of it. But some of best digital photos have been made with that camera. While only 6 MP, I have blown up to 16 by 20 with good results.

Dale

01-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That 6MP CCD sensor is still wonderful. My K100D Super was the last Pentax model to use it. I still use it regularly for controlled light studio work like catalogs, product pictures, magazine articles and even portraits with manual glass. I've printed up to 20x30 from it.

Thanks,
01-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My wife still shoots with an *ist D. I agree with everyone else. It's a great camera!
01-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Gave my *ist D to my daughter so it's still in use. A fine camera indeed, but nowadays I prefer the K-5.

01-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I couldn't make mine work last time I tried. The batteries were ok, and the top display said 200 (ISO, probably) but nothing else happened. No response to pressing the shutter and no Info or Menu appearing. I'll try another time and hope for the best.
01-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought one off of eBay last week and it should be arriving today. So, I guess I have mine!
01-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I still use my K10D but it was the last pentax to not have any per-lens focus adjustment values and thats a reason enough for me to be concerned I recently purchased a new Sigma 17-50 2.8 and am noticing some BF/FF issues. How did you deal with such issues in older bodies?
01-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
How did you deal with such issues in older bodies?
I didn't really notice FF or BF issues with my older bodies. I guess you just get to know the limitations of your equipment and adjust to it.
01-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #12

Still have it, not using it as much though, as it sits in a different country (back home). It does get used from time to time when I visit during holidays. Still clicking fine.

Same as many, some of my best images were taken with it. There's something about it that just makes it easy and a pleasure to use. That's not saying the K-5 is hard — it's as straightforward as they come — but the D... it get things done without the need for quills and frills. If it were a pinch faster it would get considerably more use, even today.
01-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me in, although I have a few hot pixels it otherwise works great.

p.s. I also have my K10D and K7D to go with the K5D , but then don't count my PZ1' KX(film) and Ricoh XR2s. I never get rid of anything
01-14-2014, 12:51 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
I just got my original *ist D back from my daughter and son-in-law. I took a test shot yesterday to make sure it's still working. Wow, I'm surprised at the colors and sharpness that it captures! even though it's only 6MP. I'll be shooting with it over the next couple weeks and posting some photos comparing it to the K-3, just for grins.
The *ist D is THE camera that got me into Pentax.

Still don't know exactly how to pronounce the name to this day...

Ty
01-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by guru4u13 Quote
The *ist D is THE camera that got me into Pentax.

Still don't know exactly how to pronounce the name to this day...

Ty
I still have my first Pentax ME Super, although It has not been used in many years. So the *ist D was my first Digital SLR, I chose it because I could use all my lenses that I already had, and I still really like Pentax cameras.

If I remember, back when it first came out, Pentax had said that the * was a wild card, so you could put what ever word in front of it to describe it, like BESTist or FASTist or WHATEVERist you like. It really didn't translate to English that well in my opinion (at least culturally).