Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Operating Temperature

I'm reluctant to take my new K10D out in the cold (below freezing) for fear of condensation or other problems. Any advice as to what is safe and what isn't would be appreciated.

Thanks

01-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brett Quote
I'm reluctant to take my new K10D out in the cold (below freezing) for fear of condensation or other problems. Any advice as to what is safe and what isn't would be appreciated.

Thanks
I took my K100D out a couple weeks ago in -10 C weather and had a pretty good time. My batteries didn't enjoy the cold though lasted about 300 shots out there I'm guessing.

What I do suggest is that when you finally bring your camera out of the cold, shut down the camera first before bringing it in. Then when you do get in, wait for the cam to get back to room temperature before using it (about 1/2 hour to 45 mins depending).

Sometimes I do the quick "get out shoot for 10 minutes, go back indoors" type of thing without doing the precaution above and haven't had any problems.

My buddy used to put his videocamera in a plastic bag before bringing it in out of cold or humid environments. I think it is to stop extra humidity from being introduced to the camera. I've never really done this with my own stuff but he waits 15 minutes (vs. my 1/2 hour or so) before taking it out of the bag and starts using it indoors with no problems.

Hope this helps
01-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I'll add to Alvin's good advice

I own a Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II, which houses the majority of my lenses. I keep silica bead bags in all of the compartments to ensure the humidity levels stay down.

Same goes for my Lowepro lens cases - they all have them too. I cannot risk getting fungus on my FA* lenses that cost a lot (some are no longer made).

Since I work in IT, I just take the bags that would be tossed into the garbage once any new equipment is unpacked. Cheap yet effective prevention.

Cheers,
Marc
01-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
I keep silica bead bags in all of the compartments to ensure the humidity levels stay down.

Since I work in IT, I just take the bags that would be tossed into the garbage once any new equipment is unpacked. Cheap yet effective prevention.
I never thought about that and I work in IT as well. LOL. Thanks, Marc - nice tip!

01-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks
One of our members is from Greenland.
He had his out at -40 or colder without any trouble.
I would rather watch that kind of weather through my window

cheers
01-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #6

Thanks
Cold is ok for K10D. I just came back home from local skiing center. -12C.

Some advices:
1. batteries will lost remarkable amount of charce just because of coldness. Use only full loaded batteries. At extreme conditions( -20 or more), keep second full battery inside your jacket and chance when first is "empty". Put first battery also inside your jacket and change again when second one is "empty". They are not really empty at all, just cold.

2. When you came back indoors, keep your camera inside the closed camera bag until it is warmed. Some use plastic bags because so camera warms up quicker, camera bags acts like an insulation and warming is slower. If you need pictures immediately, remove card before closing the bag.
01-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote

Some advices:
1. batteries will lost remarkable amount of charce just because of coldness. Use only full loaded batteries. At extreme conditions( -20 or more), keep second full battery inside your jacket and chance when first is "empty". Put first battery also inside your jacket and change again when second one is "empty". They are not really empty at all, just cold.

yep, happened to me yesterday, both my batteries lost power in the cold....
01-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Cold is ok for K10D. I just came back home from local skiing center. -12C.

Some advices:

2. When you came back indoors, keep your camera inside the closed camera bag until it is warmed. Some use plastic bags because so camera warms up quicker, camera bags acts like an insulation and warming is slower. If you need pictures immediately, remove card before closing the bag.
Harald - Spot on advice. If I may amend #2, when you come back inside, DO NOT use anything to try and "speed up" warming the camera back up. No hair dryers, not sticking it on the radiator, etc. Just let it warm up at it's own pace. Same goes for bringing the camera in from your cold car, etc.

01-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Xgear

I was just thinking about this for my ski trip to Colorado. Looked in K10D manual under CARE TO BE TAKEN DURING HANDLING.
Temperature range for camera use is 32 F 104 F. this is over caution right? I want to take my camera with me to slopes but will have to find storage place better than car right? I will ski with my Olympus point and shoot not with K10.
01-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

XGear - the same warning applied to my K100D in the manual. I believe these are the normal recommended operating ranges. 32 F is 0 C, right? I brought mine out in -10 C weather and no problems. Just follow the advice here and you shouldn't have any problems either.
01-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Great advice all. I read the warning in the manual as well, but I also see photographers out in cold weather (like Soldier Field, go Bears!), so I had to ask the question.
01-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I was outside just for an hour testing a SMC 55 mm F2 loaned to me from a friend. Got back in 20 mins ago. -12 C Geeze it's cold!

Last edited by Alvin; 01-21-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Originally said out there. I was not at soldier field - LOL
01-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I keep my K10 and 50-200 lens in their separate respective 1 qt. zip lock bag. Any condensation from indoor humidity will settle on the outside of the bag and no where near the camera. The ones with the zippers are pretty easy to work.
01-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've never had problems with cold-weather shooting with either my DS2 or K10D. Just my 0.02 concerning the battery life on the k10d though....

Make sure you have a spare battery and keep it warm so you can trade out batteries when your first one depletes. I found I got around 1 hour per battery in -8 to -10 celcius. They recover when they warm up, but they don't have the same 'staying power' as the lithium AA's do for continous cold weather shooting.
01-22-2007, 06:31 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
I keep my K10 and 50-200 lens in their separate respective 1 qt. zip lock bag. Any condensation from indoor humidity will settle on the outside of the bag and no where near the camera. The ones with the zippers are pretty easy to work.
Way to go Clarence. Cheap and effective. Best to seal things up before going back into the warmth and humidity of the average home/office/shopping mall etc.

As a way of reducing the effects of the opposite problem of heat and dust. I have a cooler box/esky/chilly-bin/whatyoumaycallit that people normally use for keeping food and drink cool at the 'barbie'. A 60litre one which takes my large shoulder bag comfortably. I keep a false floor in it under which there is storage room for a variety of bits and pieces. It's been a godsend in wet and muddy situations where I've been able to float my gear along whilst up to my armpits in it crossing swamps and the like.

It doesn't keep the leeches off your backside tho'