Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Nitro can burn in the absense of air can't it?
My understanding is that it's carries it's own oxygen molecule in the fuel. Which allows them to run a higher air to fuel mixture since it contains oxygen already.

01-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
As others have said, I imagine it's quite an efficient solvent, so maybe use a rain cover as suggested, and consider a filter to help prevent any marks to the lens coating.
Good point. I'll definitely place a filter on the front element. Don't thin a rain cover will work since the fuel is atomized and will get into everything.
01-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Which allows them to run a higher air to fuel mixture since it contains oxygen already
Well they tend to run rich (excess fuel) to cool the engine but yes Nitro is a way of getting a lot of oxygen into the engine.
But (and these could be a good photo op for you) running an engine rich drops the hp a little.
So come the finals the engineer may (read that as WILL) tweek the mixture to lean the engine at the top end to get a bit more power which of course raises combustion temps.
The photo op I talk about is at the end of the run, during finals, when engines can hand grenade quite spectacularly
01-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Well they tend to run rich (excess fuel) to cool the engine but yes Nitro is a way of getting a lot of oxygen into the engine.
But (and these could be a good photo op for you) running an engine rich drops the hp a little.
So come the finals the engineer may (read that as WILL) tweek the mixture to lean the engine at the top end to get a bit more power which of course raises combustion temps.
The photo op I talk about is at the end of the run, during finals, when engines can hand grenade quite spectacularly
And here I was thinking of the last few runs at night when the night sky is illuminated by the 10 foot columns of burning nitro methane fuel being pushed through the exhaust...

01-18-2014, 01:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And here I was thinking of the last few runs at night when the night sky is illuminated by the 10 foot columns of burning nitro methane fuel being pushed through the exhaust...
Even better when they are topped off with glowing bits of metal shooting out like fireworks
Here is some inspiration for you!

Last edited by ak_kiwi; 01-18-2014 at 01:42 AM.
01-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Those are great images. Book marking the page for reference. Absolutely loved the spark plug flying through the air.
01-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The fifth one down in the 2013 series shows what happens.
Man this guy does some nice photographs and this set is great!

01-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But it looks like he goes through some gear :(
01-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would expect so if he's mounting it on the walls. It would have been interesting to see what it looked like as the dragster sweep within inches of it. To bad the parachute caught the mount.
I guess no pain no gain. I would love to have that kind of access to the strip.

Glad no one was injured.
01-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Yeah standing by a nitro engine cranking up is certainly an experience
It's one of the few times I can actually say, that you can feel the engine through the ground, awesome.

This was in my film days before SR was invented too.
01-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I always double up on ear protection at the races. In ear and over the ear protection
A big +1 on that, still pretty exciting though...
01-23-2014, 02:32 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A good few years ago now, I was privileged to see Sammy Millers "Vanishing Point" Rocket Drag Car at the Santa Pod Raceway in UK.

0-386 MPH in 3.58 Seconds, now that's what I call rapid.

P.S. Just found a reference in Wikipedia for that event "a time of 3.58 seconds at 386.26 mph (621.61 km/h) was set by Sammy Miller in his Vanishing Point rocket-propelled funny car in July 1984". I was right about it being "A good few years ago now".

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-23-2014 at 02:41 AM.
02-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a shot from this past Sunday's NHRA Winter Nationals. I thought we were going to get rained out but it never rained on the track. It only rained near the foothills.
Don't usually do panning shots, but here's the only one in focus...
Just couldn't capture a panning shot of the Top Fuel Dragsters doing 320mph...

02-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot. And you got the drivers attention by the looks.
Hmm Val Torres - Did you ask whether they needed a photographer for the team?
02-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Liquid nitromethane will dissolve acrylic plastics on contact.
Vaporized nitromethane can ignite spontaneously at the right vapor density.
Statistically, damage to your camera should be the least of your worries.
Sounds like fun.