Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Where do you get your photos printed?
Home 2244.00%
Photography Specialty Store (Henry's, Black's, Ritz) 918.00%
Electronics Shop (FutureShop/Best Buy)   00%
Department/Warehouse Store with Photo Printing Service (Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco) 510.00%
Local Grocery Store with Printing Service   00%
Local Drug Store with Printing Service 612.00%
Other (please mention in a response) 816.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #16
Forum Member

Hi slipchuck, I live in Burlington Ontario and have a Costco 5minutes away, I am a member, so your info was very useful and I will use thier service for sure...thank you.
I would appreciate any info on calibrating my (Viewsonic) LCD monitor if you feel so inclined.....I have been put off thus far because the process seemed really involved and complicated but recognise the value and advantages of doing it for true colour.

01-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I print all of my photos at home, as i perfer to crop and do everythign myself.
01-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Home and MPIX and MyPhotopipe

See above. For single prints at home up to 8x12 for now. I will eventually get a large format printer (11x17 or similar).

Even then, it's more affordable if your color space is correct to send off to MPIX or other only specialty printers.

I've used other places as well for posters. $10 for 20x30 printed on kodak metalic and such.

MPIX gets all my small format stuff.

Photopipe offers more large options on more paper.

MPIX offers true B&W paper.

Home offers instant gratification when I need a few shots to take to family or put on the wall quickly, or am not sure of the shot on paper (some look great at 1280x1024 screen res but don't translate to print).
01-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Up to A4 I print at home, if I want large prints (like a 20"x30" I got last week) I take the files to a local specialty camera/film/printing store (VanBar)..

01-22-2007, 04:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I print 8x10s and smaller at home on a kodak professional 1400 dye-sub printer. I usually have 16x20 and 20x30 prints done online at Sony Imagestation.
01-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #21

My printer is no longer really up to top quality photo prints, anyway I can get better quality cheaper having them done on Fuji Frontier kit.

I used to use Jessops who then had a very good front end provided by Pixology and the actual printing was done by someone in the Midlands (UK) - I even knew someone who worked in the lab.

Jessops have now changed to using Snapfish - the price has shot up (though still not exactly exorbitant), the lead time has increased and the user interface is terrible.

I've recently changed to a local (but accessible by post) print shop called Keynsham Photographics. Their general pricing isn't too bad at GBP 2.55 (about USD 4.60) for a 15"x10", but if you do the preparation (which you would probably want to do anyway) this goes down to GBP 0.75 (USD 1.35) for a 15"x10", which I think is pretty amazing, and miles cheaper than doing inkjet with manufacturer inks. The quality is superb. If you need a print larger than Fuji Frontier can do, they also have a large format Epson inkjet printer - though the prices are a bit higher.

The preparatin required to get the best price is to resize the file to be 305dpi at the required print size and sort files on a CD into folders so that files in each folder are to be printed at the sime size and in the same quantity. They also provde profiles for their printers which are downloadable from their Web site. The Web site isn't that great otherwise (it doesn't even explain the detail I have gone into here), and you can't submit jobs via the Web yet - you send a CD by post or drop it in by hand, but it works out very well.

Not only do I consider that Fuji Frontier prints are better and cheaper than inkjets, but they are definitely more durable.

Simon

Last edited by Simon; 01-22-2007 at 07:52 AM. Reason: more tweaks
01-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #22

I used to go to Shoppers Drug Mart, their price is 29c. We thought quality was good until I printed some from overseas when I travelled. By comparison, SDM is just 'average' for the money they want. Last month I got some coupon codes for 40 free prints from Futurshop. Their regular price is 29c and I would not go there again unless I get some more free coupon. It's just horrible, I have no idea how they added some colour spots on some of them.

I haven't printed from Blacks but I know they are good. Regular price is 39c and there was a promotion before Christmas: buy 1000 prints (10 x 100 prepaid cards) for $300 and get free a free Fuji P&S camera. I went for it because it worked out to be the same price that I was paying at SDM and the camera is just a bonus.
01-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Didn't get a chance to put my own response in.

I go to my local Shoppers Drug Mart. They have the same Kodak units as they do at a Walmart, but I noticed that my SDM maintains their unit a little better than my local Walmart. I haven't tried my local Black's - not a fan of the service over there nor was I a fan of the Fuji paper they were using. I have discovered a Fotosource store (Just Cameras - Mississauga) and I'm planning to give them a go for my next series.

01-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I am just printing them to show people I use my Color Laserwriter 2550n which give surprisingly good results and I never worry about clogged ink. If I want prints to keep I print them at Mike's Camera in Boulder where I have a a huge credit since I bought my K10D there. Once that runs out I will do some prints (at least the 4x6's) at Target because it is closer to my house.
01-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I upload images to Walgreens when I need prints. Their upload software is from Snapfish, so it's clumsy as it's limited to 16 images per upload, but it beats driving to a store and then coming back later to pickup. What's good about this is if I'm doing prints for someone else's event - I can either have them mailed to that person or they can pick up in person at the nearest Walgreens - and Walgreens with 4000 stores is everywhere in the lower 48 states.

I try to avoid Costco. Everytime I go in there, I come out with giant jars of salsa. packs of pork ribs, munchy cakes...

I can print at home with an Epson, but only occasionally.
01-23-2007, 02:48 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Never Printed - Probably Never Will

I bought a ThinkPad t60p with a FlexView screen. It's beautiful. Why would I ever want to print something? Luddites.
01-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Luddite? Just because someone likes prints? Sheesh.

By the way, I've got a T40, it has the same screen as your T60... It's not that great, as top notch LCD screens go.
01-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #28
Inactive Account

White House Custom Colour

This outfit does fantastic work at great prices. I was impressed with the account setup that took a little effort on my part but was well worth it given the excellent prints I've received.

They are geared more toward professionals but don't let that intimidate you. The level of service they provide to guys like me is great. I'm treated like a pro although I'm far from it.

White House Custom Colour

Here's a bit from the first email I received from them. I was sold when they did the five test prints no charge to insure monitor calibration.

"At this point, we can begin our relationship by your submission of test files. We will print up to five 8x10s at no charge to check your monitor calibration. If you regularly calibrate your monitor already, this test will simply serve to provide a level of comfort for you that our output is dead on. We view this test as an important, valuable and required step to open an account with White House.

Prepare your files as follows: sized to 8x10 at 300 PPI, in any imbedded color space and saved as a baseline standard, level 10 jpeg. Any B&W images also should be in RGB, not Grayscale.

Your test prints are sent back to you along with our digital "how to" book (a more in depth reference guide) and our paper and texture samples. Your account will be set up upon receipt of the test files. Once you are ready to begin your submission of orders via FTP or CD, please call customer service and provide a Visa or MasterCard for payment purposes. Orders are billed to the credit card on the day they are ready to ship. An invoice including a credit card receipt is enclosed with every order."
Highly recommend these folks.
01-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Bay Photo

The prices are not the cheapest at Bay, especially for small prints, but the work is excellent.

Anything I want done right goes to Bay.

Snaps might go to Wal Mart or wherever there is a Fuji Fromtier 370 machine and a decent operator.

Ray