Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Where do you get your photos printed?
Home 2244.00%
Photography Specialty Store (Henry's, Black's, Ritz) 918.00%
Electronics Shop (FutureShop/Best Buy)   00%
Department/Warehouse Store with Photo Printing Service (Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco) 510.00%
Local Grocery Store with Printing Service   00%
Local Drug Store with Printing Service 612.00%
Other (please mention in a response) 816.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where do you print your Photos?

Just satisfying my curiousity. Check only the one you use most often.

Home

Photography Specialty Shop (eg. Henry's, Black's, Ritz)

Electronics Store (eg. Futureshop, Best Buy)

Department Store/Warehouse store that has Photo Printing Service (Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club)

Grocery Store that has Photo Printing Service

Drug Store that has Photo Printing Service

Other than mentioned above.

NOTE: If you use Internet/Online service for any of the above (eg. Future Shop), check that option.

Last edited by Alvin; 01-21-2007 at 10:44 AM.
01-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only get my 35mm/645 shots printed, and that would be at a pro photo store.

My DSLR shots generally go up in online photo galleries or posts instead.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This poll should be a multi-choice.

If I want a quick-n-dirty shot to give to someone, I print at home. If I want some 4x6s or 5x7s, but I'm not picky about quality, I print at Walgreens/Walmart. If I want top quality or large sizes, I send 16-bit TIFFs to MPIX.COM.
01-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #4

I'm all digital now, so it makes sense to print all my own work at home. I have an A3 size Epson Stylus colour 1160, which is a bit slow and cannot print out to the edges, but I print at A4 and store most of my keepers in sleeves in a series of ring-binders. Once in a while, I print at A3 for framing.

01-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter

locally for now...

The local camera shop uses Epson series 7800 and 9800 printers, printed on Epson or Ilford pro paper. Their tech has 30 years of printing experience.

This is simply because I can get it locally for the same price as online services, and I needed fast turnarounds (1-2 days max.) for the displays I am doing. The prints are 16x24 or 20x30 (almost A1 size, I believe?), so I cannot print this from my home office.

However, I will check out Eric's suggestion for mpix.com, since they have dry mounting services too.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 01-21-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: forgot to add: sizes I needed to print
01-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
This poll should be a multi-choice.

If I want a quick-n-dirty shot to give to someone, I print at home. If I want some 4x6s or 5x7s, but I'm not picky about quality, I print at Walgreens/Walmart. If I want top quality or large sizes, I send 16-bit TIFFs to MPIX.COM.
Yeah, I was giving this quite a lot of thought before posting. I should have revised the question to the poll to say "most often", rather than just put it in my post.
Hindsight better than foresight.
01-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Costco for all my prints
they are the only non professional service that calibrates and profiles their printers at least once a year. you can download their ICC profiles at .Dry Creek Photo
If you have your monitor calibrated, and if you tell them not to color correct, the prints come out exactly like what is on your monitor. I crop them to the size I want first.

17 cents canadian for 4x6"
59 for 5x7"
8x12 is 2.99
12x18 is 3.99
all are 1 hour prints. 48 hour service is a bit cheaper.

I did an 8x12 at a "pro" printer and it wasn't any better then costco. the only difference was the pro printer charged me 39 canadian dollars for their service.

cheers

rndy
01-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Print at adorama. i upload it from home, they send me an e-mail, i pick it up.
19 cents per print, and I have been happy with the work they have done.

01-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I started out with an Epson R220 that I find the best deal out there for a small printer (up to 8.5x11). I now also have an R1800 for up to 13x19. I have an extensive background in regular darkroom printing and found that none of the commercial places here can give me the same quality and control that I can get from the Epson printers. The local printers color/density controls are never as accurate as what I create on the screen and then print at home.
I tried mail order only a few times and was never happy so quit trying to reinvent the wheel and set up my own workstation here. I am now a happy camper!
01-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I do test printing at home. There is a local camera shop that I use in a pinch. The prints are on photo paper, not inkjet, but they don't calibrate their machines. When it's important I use Mpix.com and White House Custom Color (whcc.com). Each has it's own adventages and each does fantastic work, printing on real photo paper with calibrated machines.
01-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Costco for all my prints
they are the only non professional service that calibrates and profiles their printers at least once a year. you can download their ICC profiles at .Dry Creek Photo
If you have your monitor calibrated, and if you tell them not to color correct, the prints come out exactly like what is on your monitor. I crop them to the size I want first.

17 cents canadian for 4x6"
59 for 5x7"
8x12 is 2.99
12x18 is 3.99
all are 1 hour prints. 48 hour service is a bit cheaper.

I did an 8x12 at a "pro" printer and it wasn't any better then costco. the only difference was the pro printer charged me 39 canadian dollars for their service.

cheers

rndy
Thats impressive that Costco CA profiles.... Costco US wouldn't know a profile if it hit them in the head.

When i need something fast, I print at home. Otherwise, photo specialty shop dye sub preferred, inkjet for the big stuff.
01-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Try not bashing with a blanket-Both Costco's in my town do excellent work; many prefer their output over the 'Pro' outlets.
01-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
However, I will check out Eric's suggestion for mpix.com, since they have dry mounting services too.
Marc,

MPIX is in Pittsburg, KS, so it's going to be a one-day shipment for you. I make my orders on Monday morning and as often as not I get my prints on Wednesday.

-E
01-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorfmai Quote
Thats impressive that Costco CA profiles.... Costco US wouldn't know a profile if it hit them in the head.
There are plenty of profiles of US Costco stores at their website and I know people here and on DPR who use them. If your local costco isn't on the profiles list, consider being proactive and ask them to.
01-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #15

Printing at home

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Just satisfying my curiousity. Check only the one you use most often.

Home

Photography Specialty Shop (eg. Henry's, Black's, Ritz)

Electronics Store (eg. Futureshop, Best Buy)

Department Store/Warehouse store that has Photo Printing Service (Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club)

Grocery Store that has Photo Printing Service

Drug Store that has Photo Printing Service

Other than mentioned above.

NOTE: If you use Internet/Online service for any of the above (eg. Future Shop), check that option.
I am not trying to highjack this thread but am curious, of those who print at home, what advice would you have about high quality printers? I don't need a "pro" printer, just one that will print very good color prints. I am thinking about adding one for my office at home. I am not nearly as concerned about things like speed but my biggest concern is quality. 8 x 10 is as big as I plan to print other wise I can send to Mpix or Photopipe.

I do all my prints of kids/vacations/wifes scrapbooking prints at Sam's Club and they do a very good job for very little $. I think we pay $.17 for 4X6 and about $1.89 for an 8 x 10.

Thanks,

Ed