Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Question for K-30 & K-5II (s) users (those who own both or compared them)

Hi,

I have the Pentax K-30 and I love it, but to shoot without an AA filter is quite tempting to me and as I like the 16MP resolution and the Sony sensor I thought to maybe get a K-5IIs.

Now what bothers me is that while the K-5II (s) series has some advantages, there are also disadvantages.
The Prime M processor in the K-30 is fast and the cam a joy to use, it has focus peaking (which I like) and better video compression (which is quite unimportant to me).

Now I would like to know from those people that use both cameras [K-30 & K-5II (s)] how much one feels a difference in speed.
Is there a notable "slowness" compared to the K-30, for example when you scroll through the photos in review mode?

I think in live-view the K-30 has 60fps while the K-5II (s) has not, true?

In summary I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

01-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bernie_Rain Quote
That's right, and there's a bit more latency on the K-5.

Now I would like to know from those people that use both cameras [K-30 & K-5II (s)] how much one feels a difference in speed. Is there a notable "slowness" compared to the K-30, for example when you scroll through the photos in review mode?
The K-30 has a more robust playback mode, but its continuous buffer is smaller, so at times it actually feels slower when you're shooting bursts. Both cameras can write to the SD card at a maximum of just under 30Mb/s, so they're mostly neck-and-neck. The main area in which the K-30 feels faster or better is live view, CDAF and movie mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

Hi,

I have the Pentax K-30 and I love it, but to shoot without an AA filter is quite tempting to me and as I like the 16MP resolution and the Sony sensor I thought to maybe get a K-5IIs.

Now what bothers me is that while the K-5II (s) series has some advantages, there are also disadvantages.
The Prime M processor in the K-30 is fast and the cam a joy to use, it has focus peaking (which I like) and better video compression (which is quite unimportant to me).

Now I would like to know from those people that use both cameras [K-30 & K-5II (s)] how much one feels a difference in speed.
Is there a notable "slowness" compared to the K-30, for example when you scroll through the photos in review mode?

In summary I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.
I just traded in my K-30 and upgraded to the K-5ii. The improved AF in low light is what prompted me to make the switch, and I have no regrets. Rather than lose the AA filter with the S version, I spent the $ difference on the BG-4 grip, and I love, love, love the grip! Finally I have a camera that is comfortable to hold! I have not noticed any degradation in performance, and some menus are easier to navigate. For example, pressing the info button toggles between views in playback mode - with the K-30 it brought up a selection screen which you had to navigate - unlike every other camera I have ever used. (except the MX-1, where the info button does absolutely nothing in playback mode). You also get improved dust removal, mirror lock-up, X-sync mode, top LCD, and more.

If you like focus peaking, that may tilt the scales in favor of the K3
01-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richjac Quote
mirror lock-up
With my K-30 I use the 2s Self-timer - should work as a mirror lock up, right?

01-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #5

It's not quite the same, though for most of us it may be sufficient. MLU eliminates the mirror flipping from potentially inducing vibration and reducing sharpness. This is my first DSLR with this feature, so next time I am taking landscape photos on a tripod, I will try it out.
01-18-2014, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #6

I've gone from the K-30 to the K-5IIs recently. For me the big advantages are ergonomics/solidity, shutter sound & feel (hated the K-30's thwack) and higher resolution. Seems to focus better also on the lenses I've used...
Two things I do miss (as others mentioned) are the speed of reviewing images and focus peaking, which are minor.
Another thing of note is having a better body makes one start to crave the best lenses, so now looking to get only FA Limited glass (might keep the Sigma 30/1.4, as the 31mm is hard to justify for my uses...)
01-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Richjac Quote
It's not quite the same, though for most of us it may be sufficient. MLU eliminates the mirror flipping from potentially inducing vibration and reducing sharpness. This is my first DSLR with this feature, so next time I am taking landscape photos on a tripod, I will try it out.
Sure, it's not exactly the same thing but it's every bit as effective.... unless you think the vibration is going to persist for two seconds after the mirror flips up.

01-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Sure, it's not exactly the same thing but it's every bit as effective.... unless you think the vibration is going to persist for two seconds after the mirror flips up.
I had not realized that the mirror flipped up at the start of the 2 sec timer. Nice touch - I don't think my old Nikon D40 did that, and I have only had mirrorless cameras since then. I still have a lot to learn, which is half the fun.